Windows 10: Taskbar icon management in Settings

Discus and support Taskbar icon management in Settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 and have run into a situation that I’d like a little advice on. I navigate to Settings > System > Notifications & Actions. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by share666, Oct 1, 2015.

1. share666 Win User

Taskbar icon management in Settings

I am using Windows 10 and have run into a situation that I’d like a little advice on. I navigate to Settings > System > Notifications & Actions.
    I am presented with a screen that has an option “Select which icons appear on the taskbar”.
    I am presented with a list of programs and a switch that allows me to run on / off whether or not the icon displays on the taskbar.
    The issue (minor annoyance really) is I have choices for programs that a) I have removed or b) portable apps that did not need to be installed to run.
    I would like to remove these programs from this list as they are no longer present.
    The MS community site really has provided no assistance. I have attached a screenshot.

Any clues?

:)

share666, Oct 1, 2015
  2. TTrout Win User

Airplane landed on task bar after last update

To manage taskbar icons:

Click on Start (leftmost icon on taskbar)

Settings->System->Notification & actions->Select which icons appear on the taskbar

Hope this helps.

TTrout, Oct 1, 2015
  3. Task Manager no longer minimizes to Notifications tray in v1607 Win10Pro

I have the Taskbar on the left side of my screen. I like having Task Manager running all the time. I access Task Manager frequently at times. I had it set as a tray notifications icon (little icon) when minimized on Taskbar. The little icon was
    always visible when minimized. Setting it up this way takes up a much smaller amount of space on
    Taskbar than a full size icon on the Taskbar. That way much more space remains on
    Taskbar for Icons from apps I open and close frequently. This is the way it was set up Win10 Pro 15xx. (I use 15xx because I cannot remember if it was 1511 or 1507)

I just upgraded to Win10 Pro 1607 from Win10 Pro 15xx. (I use 15xx because I cannot remember if it was 1511 or 1507)

Task Manager now minimizes to both a full size icon on Taskbar below the other full size icons AND the little icon in the Notifications Area or Tray area.
    In other words Task Manager now minimizes with TWO icons on the Taskbar.

This is the Taskbar settings and the corresponding results:

Right click Taskbar > settings > scroll down to “Notification Area” > click “select which icons appear on
    Taskbar” > :

Task Manager “On” = full size icon on Taskbar AND icon in “Notification Area” on
    Taskbar.

Task Manager “Off” = full size icon on Taskbar AND icon NOT in “Notification Area” but in the pop-out side menu when clicking little arrow above “Notification Area” on
    Taskbar.

Two questions:

1. How do I return this to the way it was in 15xx? (The way it was: no full size icon on
    Taskbar when minimized but a little icon always visible at bottom).

2. How do I set up “Services” console this way (services.msc)?
    Some installed apps only run with their services on so I toggle the associated services on and off.

I use my computer in a normal user account not an administrator account.

I am running Win10 Pro on a i7 tower 16GB memory 2TB HD and 19 inch screen (I am working on purchasing a bigger screen).
    I vigilantly keep everything updated daily. Or at least every three days I check EVERYTHING for updates.

expertbigwheelpilot2, Oct 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 1, 2015
  5. share666 Win User
    That was easy. Thanks.

share666, Oct 1, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar icon management in Settings - Similar Threads - Taskbar icon management

2. No battery icon on taskbar or device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No battery icon on taskbar or device manager: Updating or resetting windows and even a full system format has not solved the issue. Surface Serial Hub Driver has a driver problem. Although I don't know if it is relevant, I have uninstalled the device and restarted windows, but it still doesn't work....
  3. No battery icon on taskbar or device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No battery icon on taskbar or device manager: Updating or resetting windows and even a full system format has not solved the issue. Surface Serial Hub Driver has a driver problem. Although I don't know if it is relevant, I have uninstalled the device and restarted windows, but it still doesn't work....
  4. No battery icon on taskbar or device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar settings icons error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar settings icons error: How to fix these icons error in the taskbar settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-settings-icons-error/942e21a6-325e-4f07-9df6-25a4b3c38602
  6. Taskbar settings icons error

Taskbar settings icons error: How to fix these icons error in the taskbar settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-settings-icons-error/942e21a6-325e-4f07-9df6-25a4b3c38602
  7. Windows icon,settings icon,wifi icon not working on the taskbar

Windows icon,settings icon,wifi icon not working on the taskbar: Hey,I am unable to open any of the microsoft apps.Before few days I have done my windows update from then i am facing the problem where my task manager shows very high percentage of the disk usage.The service host keeps running all the time.I have been signed out of my...
  8. Windows icon,settings icon,wifi icon not working on the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows icon,settings icon,wifi icon not working on the taskbar: Hey,I am unable to open any of the microsoft apps.Before few days I have done my windows update from then i am facing the problem where my task manager shows very high percentage of the disk usage.The service host keeps running all the time.I have been signed out of my...
  9. Corrupted taskbar icons in settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted taskbar icons in settings: I have missing/corrupted icons in taskbar settings for 'Select which icons appear on the taskbar, see screenshot The icons are correct on the taskbar I have followed the advice here to no avail Any ideas what to try next? 175050
  10. Taskbar setting - Icons to display

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar setting - Icons to display: I installed Chemtable Autorun Organizer, decided I didn't want it and uninstalled it. It the Taskbar settings, Select which items appear in the taskbar, it is still showing not 1, but 2 instances of "AutorunOrganizer.exc Autorun Organizer (performing 1 task(s)". It doesn't...