Windows 10: The IO operation at logical block address....was retired.

Discus and support The IO operation at logical block address....was retired. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, over the last day my computer has had a bluescreen error and rebooted twice, it appears to be because of my USB 3.0 3TB WD external HDD (see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IronBat, Feb 27, 2018.

1. IronBat Win User

The IO operation at logical block address....was retired.

Hi, over the last day my computer has had a bluescreen error and rebooted twice, it appears to be because of my USB 3.0 3TB WD external HDD (see photos), I was reading from the drive at the time. I have had this drive for a couple of years and have had no problems, i've done a diskscan and found no problems and SMART seems fine.
    Any help with figuring out what's going on is appreciated.

Thanks

:)

IronBat, Feb 27, 2018
  2. Will Lyon Win User

the io operation at logical block address # for disk # was retried

Hey guys, I've got a PC with this persisting error. According to Event Viewer it's been happening daily since March. I've run sfc /scannow and chkdsk and both come back clean. When I look in task manager it says HDD use is 100% yet there's at most 0.3MB
    usage. When it does this the PC is SLOW and borderline freezes. Also the HDD is physically hot to the touch. I've swapped SATA cables and ports to no avail. The chipset drivers are the latest.

I'm leaning towards HDD failure. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Hardware:

MSI AM1I ITX MB

AMD Sempron 2650 Dual-Core

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

WD Caviar SE 160GB HDD

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK - Mini ITX Case w/250W PSU

Thanks in advance!

Will Lyon, Feb 27, 2018
  3. the io operation at logical block address # for disk # was retried

Hey there Will The IO operation at logical block address....was retired. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are going through. Storage-related issues are a pain and can pose danger to your data.

Speaking of data, do you have a backup of the files that are on the problematic drive? If not I would strongly suggest that you create one as soon as possible as these errors may be a indication of an upcoming drive failure.

Once you do the backup I would suggest to download and run
    WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic
    (if the drive that we are talking about is the WD Caviar SE) and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests.

Another thing that would give you a more detailed info regarding the drive's health would be the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status. If you are not sure how to read them properly I would suggest to post them here and we'll help you with that. The IO operation at logical block address....was retired. :)

This is quite an old model so a backup is strongly suggested if there's data on the drive that you don't want to lose. The IO operation at logical block address....was retired. :)

Post back with some progress!

Captain_WD, Feb 27, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

On diskpart some drives are full with no room left which won't help. Best thing with drives is go to makers site and download their disk test as it's specific to the drive

Samuria, Feb 27, 2018
  5. IronBat Win User
    There is plenty of room on them the 23GB is just the extra space left for over provisioning, it shows up as unformatted space. I'll find the Western Digital tools and do a scan.

IronBat, Feb 27, 2018
  6. The warning indicates that the storage driver sent a read request but timed out waiting for a response from the drive or controller and had to send the request again.

That doesn't necessarily indicate a bad drive - it could be a driver or BIOS/UEFI issue as well. I am more interested in what are the contents of those disk errors in your event log.

PolarNettles, Feb 27, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    There were 2 BSOD mini dump files.
    Debugging did not display a definitive misbehaving driver for the latest bugchecks.
    The latest 2 bugchecks were 1A.
    Older bugchecks also included 9F.

Please run the beta version of the log collector using extract > open > post a zip into the thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

For all steps please post images into the thread.
    For any problems posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.

1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    5) chkdsk /x /f /r (run this fix and recover command on all partitions using the syntax chkdsk /x /f /r C: or chkdsk /x /f /r D: changing the drive letter to the applicable drive)
    Run this command overnight as it may take hours.
    6) Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk reports in the event viewer. Copy and paste > notepad > save to desktop > post into the thread
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    7) Run HD Tune on all drives:
    HD Tune website
    Post images into the thread for results of each of these tabs:
    a) Health (SMART)
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan
    8) In the left lower corner search type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane > click advanced system settings >
    a) under performance > click settings > under performance options > click advanced > under virtual memory > click change > post an image into the thread for the virtual memory window
    b) under startup and recovery > click settings > post an image of the startup and recovery window into the thread
    9) If the computer has Ccleaner > click on the windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread
    10) Uninstall Bitdefender:
    11) Turn on Windows defender
    12) Update the BIOS:
    Support For B350 TOMAHAWK | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

zbook, Feb 28, 2018
  8. IronBat Win User

IronBat, Mar 3, 2018
  9. IronBat Win User
    Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Everything should be in there, but HDTune wouldn't show the health status of my 960 m.2 NVMe drive. Samsung Magician says it's 'good' if that means anything.
    Also I did this type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt" (copied and pasted it) but the file came out empty, i added the 'nothing here' because one drive won't allow the uploading of empty files.
    If it's the MSIramDisk that's the problem I can uninstall it as I don't use it anyway.

Thanks

IronBat, Mar 13, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    1) back up all files to another drive or to the cloud
    2) Make a Macrium backup image
    3) Place the backup image onto another drive or into the cloud
    4) Make a brand new restore point
    5) Run the beta log collector and place a new zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip
    6) Read these links on Windows driver verifier
    a) Driver Verifier-- tracking down a mis-behaving driver. - Microsoft Community
    b) Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Windows driver verifer is a tool that will produce repetitive BSOD until misbehaving drivers are fixed or until the tool is turned off.
    Link a has the customized test settings: there are approximately 19 customized tests run simutaneously
    Link b has the methods to turn off the tool. This link has 3 customized test settings.
    When running the tool the computer may become sluggish and boots may become slow.
    The number of active tests can be modified if there is sluggishness or slow boot.

For each BSOD run the beta log collector and post a new zip into this thread for troubleshooting.
    After each BSOD you will need to turn off or recover from using the tool and all methods are performed using the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu.
    a) startup options (not startup repair) > click restart > select #6 safe mode with command prompt > type:
    verifier /reset
    b) command prompt > Administrator X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources> type:
    verifier /bootmode resetonbootfail
    c) system restore
    The methods to turn off or recover from using the tool should be done in the above order. Only advance to the next step if the prior step fails. Using system restore typically results in the loss of the dump file and little progress is made in troubleshooting.

Once the computer files are backed up, an image and a brand new restore point are made and you are comfortable with the methods to turn off the tool you can start using it.

The tool will be used for 48 hours. After the last BSOD it will be used for an additional 36 hours. If there are no more BSOD that will conclude the troubleshooting with the tool.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. The IO operation at logical block address....was retired. - Similar Threads - operation logical block

2. The IO operation at logical block address for Disk 3 failed due to a hardware error but...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The IO operation at logical block address for Disk 3 failed due to a hardware error but...: Hi everyone. Recently I started to receive a Disk Write Error in Steam during installation. After investigating the error, I ended up checking the Event Viewer and seeing this error. I tried running chkdsk with /r/f and also with /spotfix and it fixed something, but it seems...
  3. The IO operation at logical block address for Disk XX was retried. System freezes

The IO operation at logical block address for Disk XX was retried. System freezes: I started seeing system freezes after installing a new, large SSD. I found the error shown in the System Event Viewer, All the other threads on this topic seem to be locked, so I started a new question, but I also have the solution I found.The solution I found has to do with...
  4. The IO operation at logical block address for Disk XX was retried. System freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The IO operation at logical block address for Disk XX was retried. System freezes: I started seeing system freezes after installing a new, large SSD. I found the error shown in the System Event Viewer, All the other threads on this topic seem to be locked, so I started a new question, but I also have the solution I found.The solution I found has to do with...
  5. The IO operation at logical block address for Disk XX was retried. System freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. The IO operation at logical block address...failed due to a hardware error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The IO operation at logical block address...failed due to a hardware error: Hi:As of last week I have been getting error 154's similar to the above. I also get regular 153 warnings as well. This has resulted in failed boots, regular chkdsks on boot up freeze ups and corrupted applications. I have reset the system once and the problem has returned. I...
  7. The IO operation at logical block address...failed due to a hardware error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The IO operation at logical block address...failed due to a hardware error: Hi:As of last week I have been getting error 154's similar to the above. I also get regular 153 warnings as well. This has resulted in failed boots, regular chkdsks on boot up freeze ups and corrupted applications. I have reset the system once and the problem has returned. I...
  8. The IO operation at logical block address...failed due to a hardware error

9. The IO Operation At Logical Block Address for Disk was Retried - Event ID 153

The IO Operation At Logical Block Address for Disk was Retried - Event ID 153: Problem: Seagate external USB-HD works fine with ExFAT, but with NTFS it will give event ID153 during copying files from HardDisk to this USB-drive. Asus P6X58D-E with i7. Windows 10 Pro N, Version 2004, Build 19041.508 Separate USB card - Delock 89363 with Renesans...
  10. The IO operation at logical block address for Disk 0 was retried.

The IO operation at logical block address for Disk 0 was retried.: Resolved: 1. Try to change different power cable connector and SATA cable connector. 2. Try to clean using Alcohol or Eraser power connector and SATA connector on your Hard Disk Drive or Solid State Drive. This could be helpful....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the io operation at logical block address 0x79d4760 for disk 2 (pdo name: \device\00000040) was retried. msi z370