Windows 10: Thin blue square on icons

Discus and support Thin blue square on icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I removed the arrow from my desktop icons, but i see there is now a thin blue square around most icons. The blue line seems useless and clutters the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gogreen, Sep 9, 2015.

1. gogreen Win User

Thin blue square on icons

I removed the arrow from my desktop icons, but i see there is now a thin blue square around most icons. The blue line seems useless and clutters the icon. Does anyone know how to get rid of those blue lines? And why do they appear on some icons and not on others?

:)

gogreen, Sep 9, 2015

2. Desktop switcher widget in extras

I'm surprised you havent changed the icon for it ceroberts, don't you find the default blue squares really ugly?

richwhite---01, Sep 9, 2015
  3. How do I shrink the size of the blue arrow or blue/yellow checkered shield over the top of my desktop shortcut icons?

On my desktop shortcuts, the blue arrows on white squares are taking up almost the entire lower left quadrant of my icon. Also, some shortcuts have a blue and yellow checkered shield in the lower right quadrant. Combined, about half the icon is obscured.
    Is there any way to shrink the size of arrows and shields that overlay these icons, or conversely, increase the relative size of the icons so that the arrow or shield obscures less of them?

MrBrassman, Sep 9, 2015
  4. Thin blue square on icons

Replace the shortcut arrow using the same method that you used to remove them and then use Winaero Tweaker to remove them. I had the same thing happen to me when I used "Shortcut Remover" program to remove them. After much frustration, I came across that same setting in the Winaero Tweaker program and it worked without the little boxes.

dnasystems, Sep 9, 2015
  5. gogreen Win User
    gogreen, Sep 11, 2015
  6. Unfortunately, the method posted on that link will only get rid of the actual arrow but won't remove the overlay outline. Winaero Tweaker or this method are the only ones I know of that completely remove the arrow (plus overlay outline). I just happen to use tweaker already for 2 other items along with the shortcut remover selection.

dnasystems, Sep 11, 2015
  7. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, dnasystems, for the suggestion. This (http://www.windowscentral.com/how-ge...ows-windows-10) worked perfectly. However, I first restored the default shortcut arrows and then I applied the registry tweak. I'm not sure if that was necessary, but I it just to be safe.

I should mention, though, that the registry already had the key "Shell Icons," presumably from my having removed and then restored the shortcut arrows.

Question: In your post, how did you link "this method" to the windowscentral url?

Thanks again.

gogreen, Sep 12, 2015
  8. Thin blue square on icons

Just type the name "this method", or what ever you would like to call the hyperlink...then highlight the name you just typed...while highlighted, click the "insert hyperlink" above and enter the url. When done, it will link the url to what ever you had highlighted, giving it the new name for the post.

I hope that was clear enough...It seemed like it made sense in my head. I just woke up...LOL

dnasystems, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Thin blue square on icons

1. Thin blue square on icons - Similar Threads - Thin blue square

2. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  3. Blue Squares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Squares: I have a folder of music files which have suddenly got a blue square in front of the file name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-squares/e4b647e5-613f-4e5a-88d4-01dab6bad8ca
  4. Blue Squares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Blue Squares: I have a folder of music files which have suddenly got a blue square in front of the file name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-squares/e4b647e5-613f-4e5a-88d4-01dab6bad8ca
  5. Blue Squares

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Mute Icon appears as a square

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute Icon appears as a square: Whenever I mute my PC, Instead of the mute icon, I see this square:Please help. Also, this started happening when I changed my Windows Explorer font using Registry Editor....
  7. Desktop icons are black squares

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  8. Black Squares Over Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Squares Over Icons: Hi, So my Pc is having a problem where whwnever i play valorant some Black Squares come over icons on desktop, and sometimes over their windows also.But If i close the game they dissapper after some time.Please Help....
  9. Square icons on Wifi Icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Square icons on Wifi Icons: Hello, I'm in build 2004 of Windows 10, I just upgraded my windows but when I tried to connect to wifi, there's a square icon overlaying the wifi icons, I tried to rebuild the icon cache and run sfc and dism commands but still the problem exist. Any help will be appreciated....
  10. Desktop icons with blank square

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons with blank square: Installed W10 8 days ago Today after a restart some of my desktop icons have a white square in front of them I made the view on large icons , normaly i use smal then only the white square is showing I tryed an icon-cache-rebuild without success Solved by restoring a...