Windows 10: This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

Discus and support This is How to permanently Disable Cortana in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; This is how to permanently disable Cortana, first start into safe mode and navigate to C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Bazz, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Bazz Win User

This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

This is how to permanently disable Cortana, first start into safe mode and navigate to C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy you will need to Take Ownership of the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and then delete the file SearchUI.exe. If anyone knows how to remover it from the start menu it would be much appreciated.

Regards

:)

Bazz, Aug 7, 2015

2. How to enable cortana

Hey i permanently disabled Cortana i didnt know that cortana and the search bar are tied can someone tell me how to get cortana back or is there any other way to search an app. help me plz

anoosh zaidi, Aug 7, 2015
  3. AndyM51 Win User
    How do I silence Cortana? I do not want her to ever speak....

No. I do not want Cortana to speak if I accidentally brush the microphone icon. How do I permanently disable her speech?.

AndyM51, Aug 7, 2015
  4. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

To turn Cortana off in the Start Menu:
    Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the "hamburger" icon in the left sidebar and choose "Settings". From there, you can turn off Cortana.

Permanately Disable Cortana Without using safe mode:
    Install Unlocker 1.92
    Navigate to the following folder: "C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy"
    Right click "SearchUI.exe" and select "Unlocker"
    Under the action menu, select "Rename"
    Give it a new name such as "Disabled.SearchUI.exe"
    Click OK.

To clear Cortana from the PC memory, either reboot or open task manager and kill Cortana.

fmustang76, Aug 8, 2015
  5. Bazz Win User
    I want to get it out of my all apps menu.

Bazz, Aug 8, 2015
  6. scrosler Win User
    Your the man! This worked perfectly for me. I used "Wise Force Deleter" (freeware app). She is now GONE! I need to find the start menu entry for her. When I do I will post back...

Now onto "One Drive," lol

Thanks!

scrosler, Sep 7, 2015
  7. scrosler Win User
    Ouch, if you do delete this file (or rename it) you will not be able to search from the Start Menu. For me that is a major must have so I restored the file from another PC. *Eek

scrosler, Sep 7, 2015
  8. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

Yes, that is correct and I myself also restored Cortana shortly after disabling it after finding the same result. But for some, that is what they want to do, hence I recommend renaming the file rather than deleting it to easily restore Cortana if desired.

fmustang76, Sep 9, 2015
  9. scrosler Win User
    Very true, but to take ownership I had to use Wise File Zapper. But I guess it would be a good idea to make a copy of the file before deleting it. Good point!

scrosler, Sep 9, 2015
  10. Phillips9 Win User
    Cortana was disabled bt a privacy program. I cannot set it to ON. How do I restore it together with the search?

My country and language settings are USA thus I got this with the download.

Phillips9, Sep 11, 2015
  11. BigJiM65 Win User
    Thank you! just renamed file with unlocker and she's gone.

BigJiM65, Sep 13, 2015
  12. melsner Win User
    I found this thread AFTER I managed to figure out how to take ownership, end, and delete the cortana folder. Anyone have the files they can post/send so I can get Cortana back? I really just want to be able to search. Had I known the search feature would be removed too, I wouldn't have deleted it *Sad

melsner, Oct 14, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 14, 2015
  14. Me too, can please someone post this via dropbox?

RazeLegendz, Nov 3, 2015
  15. Addy Win User
    FMustang76, great solution!
    The only thing now is that I receive two faults in the event viewer:

1. Event-id 5973:
    Activation app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed, the system can't find the file. Look in log Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational.

2. Event-10001:
    Can't start DCOM Server CortanaUI, not available.
    Fault "2" as a result of command "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe" -ServerName:CortanaUI.AppXa50dqqa5gqv4a428c9y1jjw7m3btvepj.mca.

Anyone?
    Thanks!

Thema:

1. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana - Similar Threads - permanently Disable Cortana

2. How to permanently disable global.accounts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently disable global.accounts?: Every time my game crashes, there is global.accounts in task manager! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-globalaccounts/ee4ef9cf-c18a-4454-9d5e-9e3a97386bae
  3. How to permanently disable global.accounts?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to permanently disable global.accounts?: Every time my game crashes, there is global.accounts in task manager! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-globalaccounts/ee4ef9cf-c18a-4454-9d5e-9e3a97386bae
  4. how to disable cortana

in Cortana
    how to disable cortana: how to disable cortana. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-cortana/a68b20be-a29d-4b1e-b9f5-15ba5454db6c
  5. Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?: My PC is using Windows 10 Education, which disables most in-built telemetry and data collection. In settings, anything related to Cortana is off. However, Focus Assist in the Action Center uses Cortana, and in Task Manager there is a Cortana process. Is this to be expected...
  6. how to disable cortana?

in Cortana
    how to disable cortana?: i noticed a few weeks ago that every time i go where i used to be able to search files i get the cortana voice. How do it get back file explorer and disable cortana? TY...
  7. How to permanently disable Updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to permanently disable Updates?: I absolutely hate it. It keeps forcing me to update every now and then using huge bandwidths. I hate the fact it keeps harassing me all the time prompting me to update regularly and I can't find a way to disable it. Just stop! Leave me alone, Windows Updates. Just go away. I...
  8. How to permanently disable update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to permanently disable update: Windows 10 update keeps turning itself back on after I disable it . I want it permanently disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-update/ad74379e-f311-4abd-8ebe-2681bdd1154d
  9. How to permanently disable internet?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to permanently disable internet?: Cliffs are in bold text. I have a computer with a backup hard drive that I use two older programs that are no longer supported, therefore they are very much exploitable if they are on the internet. So what I do is I disable the internet connection. The problem with this is...
  10. How to Disable Permanently Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Permanently Cortana?: I have a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home. Some time ago, I spent DAYS getting Cortana disabled and turned off on my laptop. And now after this last update, MS in it's infinite stupidity has turned it back on. I've looked at instructions on the internet on how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kill cortana using wise force deleter