Windows 10: This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

Discus and support This is How to permanently Disable Cortana in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; This absolutely does not work. Just go to processes in File Manager and you will see Cortana using both CPU and memory! If you like, you could... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Bazz, Aug 7, 2015.

1. mitrajoon Win User

This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

This absolutely does not work. Just go to processes in File Manager and you will see Cortana using both CPU and memory!

mitrajoon, Dec 26, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello mitrajoon, *Smile

What you are seeing is the Cortana process used by Search (SearchUI.exe) instead. The tutorial does indeed disable Cortana the personal assistant though.

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Edwin New Member
    If you're bent on disabling the SearchUI, you'll need to rename the Cortana folder in C:/Windows/SystemApps, however, I DO NOT encourage users to do that because it disables search altogether and may begin to break other stuff!

On the other hand, having done so as an experiment, the old search will still work.

This is How to permanently Disable Cortana [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 26, 2015
  4. mitrajoon Win User

Brink, thanks for clarifying that.

Edwin, I actually followed the tute that shows how to do that and it does work but like others I returned to the original name in order to have the search function.

Thank you both for your replies.

mitrajoon, Dec 26, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help mitrajoon. *Smile

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  6. I already took ownership and deleted the folder. Now I realize that it removed the search function. How can I restore the search function/get the files back? (Maybe someone upload them to dropbox?) Help would REALLY be appreciated

Lonely nerd, Jan 12, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello lonely nerd, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you have a restore point dated before this happened available, you could do a system restore using it to undo this.

Brink, Jan 13, 2016
  8. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

No unfortunately I don't. I just reformatted my computer. Wiped everything.

Lonely nerd, Jan 13, 2016
  9. For the future reference, SFC scan restores files back.

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

TairikuOkami, Feb 7, 2016
  10. How do I take ownership of the file

killerfurze, Apr 15, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 15, 2016
  12. I followed these instructions on my PC and it worked fine. Trying to do it on my tablet, and when I try to rename the file. a message comes up saying I will need administrator's permission, so I click OK, and it keeps saying "try again". I have an Administrator's account, which worked fine on my PC, but for some reason the administrator's account on my tablet isn't good enough. Any ideas? Both computers use Windows 10 Pro, and I am getting Insider Previews on both.

leathrpaws, Jun 20, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 20, 2016
  14. For those who want to reinstall Cortana, and (foolishly) did not backup their OS, or create a Restore point:
    Microsoft has a downloadable version of Cortana. After installing it, update Windows to get the latest version.

rstrub1955, Sep 21, 2016
  15. mrpj2u Win User
    Hi

I disabled Cortana, and now use a shareware program called locate32 for searching. Way faster than windows search.
    Locate32 is only running when you use it, not all the time like Cortana and the Microsoft search indexer and filter apps.
    I will never return to Cortana with search indexer & filter. I now have lower memory use & a faster system without them

Kind Regards

PS if you use shareware and it works you should consider registering and or paying for it

mrpj2u, Oct 28, 2016
Thema:

1. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana - Similar Threads - permanently Disable Cortana

2. How to permanently disable global.accounts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently disable global.accounts?: Every time my game crashes, there is global.accounts in task manager! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-globalaccounts/ee4ef9cf-c18a-4454-9d5e-9e3a97386bae
  3. How to permanently disable global.accounts?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to permanently disable global.accounts?: Every time my game crashes, there is global.accounts in task manager! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-globalaccounts/ee4ef9cf-c18a-4454-9d5e-9e3a97386bae
  4. how to disable cortana

in Cortana
    how to disable cortana: how to disable cortana. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-cortana/a68b20be-a29d-4b1e-b9f5-15ba5454db6c
  5. Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?: My PC is using Windows 10 Education, which disables most in-built telemetry and data collection. In settings, anything related to Cortana is off. However, Focus Assist in the Action Center uses Cortana, and in Task Manager there is a Cortana process. Is this to be expected...
  6. how to disable cortana?

in Cortana
    how to disable cortana?: i noticed a few weeks ago that every time i go where i used to be able to search files i get the cortana voice. How do it get back file explorer and disable cortana? TY...
  7. How to permanently disable Updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to permanently disable Updates?: I absolutely hate it. It keeps forcing me to update every now and then using huge bandwidths. I hate the fact it keeps harassing me all the time prompting me to update regularly and I can't find a way to disable it. Just stop! Leave me alone, Windows Updates. Just go away. I...
  8. How to permanently disable update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to permanently disable update: Windows 10 update keeps turning itself back on after I disable it . I want it permanently disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-update/ad74379e-f311-4abd-8ebe-2681bdd1154d
  9. How to permanently disable internet?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to permanently disable internet?: Cliffs are in bold text. I have a computer with a backup hard drive that I use two older programs that are no longer supported, therefore they are very much exploitable if they are on the internet. So what I do is I disable the internet connection. The problem with this is...
  10. How to Disable Permanently Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Permanently Cortana?: I have a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home. Some time ago, I spent DAYS getting Cortana disabled and turned off on my laptop. And now after this last update, MS in it's infinite stupidity has turned it back on. I've looked at instructions on the internet on how...