Windows 10: Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._

Discus and support Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._ in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was cleaning up my music tags and the program I was using revealed that I have thousands of small files that begin with "._" I am guessing this is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by g41851, Feb 11, 2019.

1. g41851 Win User

Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._

I was cleaning up my music tags and the program I was using revealed that I have thousands of small files that begin with "._"

I am guessing this is a result of changing from a Mac to a PC.

Normally I would leave these alone but, because I have so many of them, they are making tagging music very difficult and I would like to remove them. They are all in my C:\Users\user\Music folder and sub directories.

Any ideas on how I can delete these and leave all my audio files alone?

Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._ [​IMG]

:)

g41851, Feb 11, 2019

2. All hidden files turned Un-hidden

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I suggest you to re-add them to the hidden items list and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the folders to hide, select Properties.
    • Go to General tab, under Attributes check mark the option
      Hidden.
    • Click on Apply and on Ok.

I suggest you not to use any third party anti-virus software. Try to use Windows Defender.

Refer: Using Windows Defender

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._

Show hidden file button are unchecked

Hi Priyankjain,

We would like to know more about your concern. Please provide the following information:

• Have you enabled the Hidden files and folders view tab before?
    • Are there any changes made prior to this issue
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform System File Checker (SFC) scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To perform the SFC Scan, you may refer to this
    link.

Let us know how it goes.

Acelyn Alc, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._

1. Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._ - Similar Threads - Thousands hidden files

2. Thousands of files in bizarre C:\ folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thousands of files in bizarre C:\ folder: I'm running Windows 11 Home on an HP laptop with 500GB of space, but only have 50GB left. This is odd as I only have about 100GB of documents and not many apps.I was reviewing my usage and the thing that takes up most space 250GB! is a folder in C:\Jau[ovXS= full name covered...
  3. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A hidden hidden file?: Win 10 is telling me a folder exists that it doesn't show no matter what I click.I've been trying to install Corel Photo house 4.0 on Win10 but it keeps telling me that there's a .dll file missing that it can't load. I've tried recreating the folder in Win10 that it's looking...
  4. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A hidden hidden file?: Win 10 is telling me a folder exists that it doesn't show no matter what I click.I've been trying to install Corel Photo house 4.0 on Win10 but it keeps telling me that there's a .dll file missing that it can't load. I've tried recreating the folder in Win10 that it's looking...
  5. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Editing authorizations of thousands of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing authorizations of thousands of files: Hi,I tried looking around for someone having a similar problem, but didn't manage to find anyone.Here's my problem. I stored many, many photos and videos of mine on an external hard drive. The thing is, the folder they were in, the sub folders and the very photos are now all...
  7. Editing authorizations of thousands of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Editing authorizations of thousands of files: Hi,I tried looking around for someone having a similar problem, but didn't manage to find anyone.Here's my problem. I stored many, many photos and videos of mine on an external hard drive. The thing is, the folder they were in, the sub folders and the very photos are now all...
  8. Editing authorizations of thousands of files

9. deleting thousands of ransomware ruined files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    deleting thousands of ransomware ruined files: I have about 12,000 data files that were ruined by the RSA-2048 ransom ware. I want to get rid of these useless files quickly and easily. I need a program or batch file to delete these files. I am not going to pay them for a key. Any suggestions? Paul...
  10. Date modified changed for thousands of files

Date modified changed for thousands of files: Hi, On my Windows 10 laptop with a Samsung SSD I have experienced some weird behavior tonight: I have roughly 11.000 files with date modified "today" since I started the laptop in the afternoon. Many of these files are in tmp folders e.g. AppData/Local/Temp or in folders...