Windows 10: Three Microsoft OS on my Drive

Discus and support Three Microsoft OS on my Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, so i did the Upgrade from 7 to 10, last week, and today i am noticing that there is 3 OS's on my C;\ 1 Windows.old, i know what that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pants, Oct 12, 2015.

1. pants Win User

Three Microsoft OS on my Drive

Hello everyone, so i did the Upgrade from 7 to 10, last week, and today i am noticing that there is 3 OS's on my C;\

1 Windows.old, i know what that one is, in case i want to go back to 7

2 ESD Folder with set up files

3 $windows- BT folder with set up files

Three Microsoft OS on my Drive [​IMG]

i know i can delete them, but why is Microsoft storing 3 OS's on my System, Don't they have a storage system of their own ? lol

Thanks in advance

:)

pants, Oct 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 PRO "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

The in place repair failed. It looks like a HDD format and full install are going to be my only option.

What I have noticed is the HDD has three partitions, Recovery, OS, and Tools (from the manufacture. And when booting from the USB the recovery drive becomes the C: drive. Is there a way to change the OS drive as the C: Drive?

Greg Delamore, Oct 12, 2015
  3. back hard drive

This I understand I have a separate hard drive containing a back up OS and also one dedicated to video so my entertainment pc has three hard drives.

MonteMitzner, Oct 12, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

That's so you can go back to previous windows. If you don't want to do that Disk Cleanup can get rid of those folders for you. Windows 10 (in theory) should do that all by itself after 30 days during regular maintenance. Before you do that, maybe you should grab "install.esd" file from $windows- BT folder and make an ISO file from it so you can do clean install of W10 at later date.
    Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    To make ISO from install.esd:
    ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    The top two are from the KB 3035583 (GWX) update, along with updates pushed out prior to Windows 10 was released. They wil go away when you delete windows.old.

If you do not plan on reverting back to the previous OS. Yes you can delete it through Drive Cleaning in Administration Tools.

bro67, Oct 13, 2015
  6. pants Win User
    Hello Everyone, thanks for the reply, i already have a Copy of the ESD File, Most likely i will be keeping win 10. i do have a copy of the windows.old folder in my Data Backup, so i could use that if i wanted to go back to 7, ( i still have the original ISO of 7 and the Key )so it looks like i will be deleting the windows.old. and the BT folders,

Three Microsoft OS on my Drive [​IMG]

Thanks in Advance

pants, Oct 13, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    From W10, all you need is that ISO of it so you can make boot disk/USB, don't have to keep all the other files like install.esd.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Three Microsoft OS on my Drive - Similar Threads - Three Microsoft Drive

2. One hard drive, three devices???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    One hard drive, three devices???: This is probably something simple, but I've never seen it before... I have a 4TB Seagate ST4000DM005 SATA hard drive. When I connect it to my Windows 10 PC (20H2) I end up seeing three new drives in my Device Manager: - ST4000DM005 - Microsoft Storage Space Device - Microsoft...
  3. My OS Drive is Behaving like a normal drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    My OS Drive is Behaving like a normal drive: I Think this is a big error I can now have access to delete windows folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-os-drive-is-behaving-like-a-normal-drive/4b51fac7-1e85-4f88-9475-3d744c211347
  4. My OS Drive is Behaving like a normal drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My OS Drive is Behaving like a normal drive: I Think this is a big error I can now have access to delete windows folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-os-drive-is-behaving-like-a-normal-drive/4b51fac7-1e85-4f88-9475-3d744c211347
  5. Three CD Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Three CD Drives: Before I begin, this is my first post here, so if I chose the categories wrong, I would ask you kindly to help me choose the correct ones.Hello, I recently wanted to know why I don't have a D: drive, only the C: one, because it has been like this since I have my laptop, which...
  6. my three dots "..."

in Windows 10 Customization
    my three dots "...": my three dots "..." in the upper right hand corner won't give me time to make a selection when I click on it. How do I fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-three-dots/12420ddf-b8e1-4881-bd24-541b4dec9468
  7. Changing OS drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing OS drive: So, my HDD is getting old, and I am planning maybe getting an SSD as my OS drive. I'll reset my HDD, but I just want to know how to change it over without having to pay for it again seeing as it is still the same computer. I'll then use the HDD as the one where I keep files...
  8. Cloning OS drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning OS drive: I'm running 10 on a refurb'd Dell which came with 10 on an SSD. I would like to make a bootable clone of the OS on a 2nd SSD of the same size (128 gig). I've used Macrium in the past to clone a 7 OS disk, worked fine, but I have read a few threads online where a user has...
  9. OS Drive

OS Drive: Hi, how do I make it so that it shows the capacity? [ATTACH][ATTACH] <--- like this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/os-drive/477af956-4f99-42df-a853-c79c66134207"
  10. OS Drive Compression

OS Drive Compression: Greetings, everyone. I am using an Aspire ES1-132, with a storage of 28.0 Gigabytes, and I am running short on storage space, and I could not relieve space from the laptop. I was told that I could compress my OS drive. I need to know if compressing my OS drive is a good...