Windows 10: Thumbnail problem

Discus and support Thumbnail problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I've tried literally every other tutorial I could find and It's still not solved. My thumbnails are not showing and it's starting to get annoying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hhhh, May 12, 2016.

1. hhhh Win User

Thumbnail problem

So I've tried literally every other tutorial I could find and It's still not solved. My thumbnails are not showing and it's starting to get annoying
    Thumbnail problem [​IMG]

:)

2. Windows Explorer is not showing thumbnails for files and folders

Original title: thumbnails

I'm using Windows 10 and suddenly Windows Explorer is not showing thumbnails for files and folders. Windows doesn't show thumbnail previews.

Can you please help me in fixing the problem?

FritzErasmus, May 12, 2016
  3. After fall update, Windows 10 puts a maximum size on thumbnail cache and deletes older thumbnails before new ones can be generated

After fall update, Windows 10 puts a maximum size on thumbnail cache and deletes older thumbnails before new ones can be generated

Windows 10 didn't have this problem (Windows 8 did), but the creators update 2 brought the problem back!

Essentially, there is a hard limit on the number/size of thumbnails you can have on. Windows now deletes previously generated thumbnails to make room for new thumbnails.

This is what I found:

I deleted the cache and opened C:\\Users\\<YOUR NAME>\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Explorer, to see how the thumbnail cache folder and its files increase in size as I started to rebuild thumbnails in various folders.

In the beginning I could see the size of the folder and the number of files in that folder increase nicely as I rebuild thumbnails. However, the thumbcache_96.db file (which for me seems to store thumbnails for picture files) tops off at 349 MB. That's when
    the already-generated thumbnails for picture files start to reset in real-time to make way for thumbnails being generated currently. The other file "thumbcache_1280.db" stores thumbnails for video files and that one still increases in size fine as I rebuild
    thumbnails for video files, although I don't now what the upper limit for that file is (mine is at only 137 MB now).

So there you have it. I think there's something from the creators update 2 that is preventing the thumbnail cache file from increasing in size by putting a cap on the size of thumbcache.db. Is there a fix for this?

Windows8Thumba, May 12, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Thumbnail problem

5. hhhh Win User
    It's like that to mainly the picture files

6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    When you double click the files, are they open with the proper program?
    What was the result of rebuilding thumbnail cache?

Thema:

Thumbnail problem

1. Thumbnail problem - Similar Threads - Thumbnail problem

2. File Thumbnail Problem Persist even though settings have changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Thumbnail Problem Persist even though settings have changed: Hello,I am having an issue where image thumbnails, specifically .png, do not show in my File Explorer.If I open a folder that has .jpg or .png, I can easily see the .jpg thumbnail. If I click on the thumbnail, the preview pane will display the image. When I open the folder, I...
  3. File Thumbnail Problem Persist even though settings have changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Thumbnail Problem Persist even though settings have changed: Hello,I am having an issue where image thumbnails, specifically .png, do not show in my File Explorer.If I open a folder that has .jpg or .png, I can easily see the .jpg thumbnail. If I click on the thumbnail, the preview pane will display the image. When I open the folder, I...
  4. File Thumbnail Problem Persist even though settings have changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Thumbnails in Windows Explorer problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails in Windows Explorer problem: Hello! I'm facing this issue:1. Explorer.EXE not working properly and thumbnails won't load.Before facing this issue, I didn't made any changes to the system.At this moment, I saw that some files have a blank page icon and some folders, without its contents.And some icons...
  6. Thumbnails in Windows Explorer problem

Thumbnails in Windows Explorer problem: Hello! I'm facing this issue:1. Explorer.EXE not working properly and thumbnails won't load.Before facing this issue, I didn't made any changes to the system.At this moment, I saw that some files have a blank page icon and some folders, without its contents.And some icons...
  7. Thumbnails in Windows Explorer problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10: Hello Microsoft communityI'm using Windows 10 on Laptop And For a No reason I cant see my videos Thumbnail....Any Solution For That?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-thumbnailicon-problem-windows-10/8e55356d-706d-4c70-b1fe-1775bee6ce5d
  9. Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10: Hello Microsoft communityI'm using Windows 10 on Laptop And For a No reason I cant see my videos Thumbnail....Any Solution For That?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-thumbnailicon-problem-windows-10/8e55356d-706d-4c70-b1fe-1775bee6ce5d
  10. Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10