Windows 10: Thumbnail problem

Discus and support Thumbnail problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I've tried literally every other tutorial I could find and It's still not solved. My thumbnails are not showing and it's starting to get annoying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hhhh, May 12, 2016.

1. hhhh Win User

Thumbnail problem

So I've tried literally every other tutorial I could find and It's still not solved. My thumbnails are not showing and it's starting to get annoying
    Thumbnail problem [​IMG]

:)

2. Windows Explorer is not showing thumbnails for files and folders

Original title: thumbnails

I'm using Windows 10 and suddenly Windows Explorer is not showing thumbnails for files and folders. Windows doesn't show thumbnail previews.

Can you please help me in fixing the problem?

FritzErasmus, May 12, 2016
  3. After fall update, Windows 10 puts a maximum size on thumbnail cache and deletes older thumbnails before new ones can be generated

After fall update, Windows 10 puts a maximum size on thumbnail cache and deletes older thumbnails before new ones can be generated

Windows 10 didn't have this problem (Windows 8 did), but the creators update 2 brought the problem back!

Essentially, there is a hard limit on the number/size of thumbnails you can have on. Windows now deletes previously generated thumbnails to make room for new thumbnails.

This is what I found:

I deleted the cache and opened C:\\Users\\<YOUR NAME>\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Explorer, to see how the thumbnail cache folder and its files increase in size as I started to rebuild thumbnails in various folders.

In the beginning I could see the size of the folder and the number of files in that folder increase nicely as I rebuild thumbnails. However, the thumbcache_96.db file (which for me seems to store thumbnails for picture files) tops off at 349 MB. That's when
    the already-generated thumbnails for picture files start to reset in real-time to make way for thumbnails being generated currently. The other file "thumbcache_1280.db" stores thumbnails for video files and that one still increases in size fine as I rebuild
    thumbnails for video files, although I don't now what the upper limit for that file is (mine is at only 137 MB now).

So there you have it. I think there's something from the creators update 2 that is preventing the thumbnail cache file from increasing in size by putting a cap on the size of thumbcache.db. Is there a fix for this?

Windows8Thumba, May 12, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Thumbnail problem

5. hhhh Win User
    It's like that to mainly the picture files

6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    When you double click the files, are they open with the proper program?
    What was the result of rebuilding thumbnail cache?

Thema:

Thumbnail problem

1. Thumbnail problem - Similar Threads - Thumbnail problem

2. Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10: Hello Microsoft communityI'm using Windows 10 on Laptop And For a No reason I cant see my videos Thumbnail....Any Solution For That?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-thumbnailicon-problem-windows-10/8e55356d-706d-4c70-b1fe-1775bee6ce5d
  3. Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10: Hello Microsoft communityI'm using Windows 10 on Laptop And For a No reason I cant see my videos Thumbnail....Any Solution For That?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-thumbnailicon-problem-windows-10/8e55356d-706d-4c70-b1fe-1775bee6ce5d
  4. Videos Thumbnail/icon Problem Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Same problem as JEROL and CAROLINEJOHNSON from 2017 with icons instead of thumbnails for...

Same problem as JEROL and CAROLINEJOHNSON from 2017 with icons instead of thumbnails for...: Windows 10 20H2 : I have tried so many fixes from WFExp View Options, search for corrupted files and register problems, to running different media players as default. I still only see the icons created by the selected default app instead of thumbnails....
  6. Problem with thumbnails/covers

Problem with thumbnails/covers: Hi! I had this weird problem on W10 Home Single Language, the thing Is, the thumbnail of the art cover on my music files shows when i plug in my android phone and copy the songs on the phone, I can see the thumbnails perfectly on the file explorer while browsing the phone on...
  7. How do I disable the task bar preview/thumbnail problem?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable the task bar preview/thumbnail problem?: This has only ever been a hindrance to me. This pop-up thumbnail is in the way. I have never used it and I now find it trips me up and slows down my work I am a keyboard person.I would prefer nothing ever pop up like that, the alt-tab function is way more efficient. I do not...
  8. I'm having a problem with some thumbnails/previews disappearing. This only happens on...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I'm having a problem with some thumbnails/previews disappearing. This only happens on...: This only happens on OneDrive synced folders. It is resolved by relogging onto OneDrive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-having-a-problem-with-some-thumbnailspreviews/27a021e7-7d4d-43cb-96ea-eecc9f2225a5
  9. Taskbar thumbnail preview problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar thumbnail preview problem: [ATTACH] If I have multiple windows of the same application open, I cannot click directly on the icon to open it, but I must necessarily click or hover the cursor over the program icon and choose which of the windows to choose. At first I liked this function, but now I...
  10. Problem with PDF thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with PDF thumbnails: Hello I have new laptop (Win 10 Home). The previews/thumbnails of pdf files, however, are only black squares/tiles. And even if I manage to get a preview, the pdf is shown in such an ugly white square. [ATTACH] The problem is completely random, it can switch from black to...