Windows 10: Thumbnails become white blank after refresh

Discus and support Thumbnails become white blank after refresh in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I tried every method posted on the internet to get thumbnails to show but they dont. I tried del /f /s /q /a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tonycst, Apr 4, 2020.

1. tonycst Win User

Thumbnails become white blank after refresh

I tried every method posted on the internet to get thumbnails to show but they dont.

I tried del /f /s /q /a %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db

I tried deleting, defaulting, restoring etc nothing works.

Thumnbails DO NOT generate in RANDOM places such as subfolders.

They DO generate on the desktop and in root of some folders but not in subfolders.

They DO generated when icons are small.

If i make icons smaller and smaller, at some point they start to generate.

Then i can make them larger and they keep being generated as expected.

How ever, once i close that folder and come back, all icons are clear again.

This is what i see

Thumbnails become white blank after refresh ef76bb07-7bb5-4da4-98c9-f77c30de05c6?upload=true.jpg

This is how small i need to make them in order to start generating thumbnails

Thumbnails become white blank after refresh 34fb4ada-1cf6-4808-bbde-fbdde5525d91?upload=true.jpg

Now i will make them larger and they seem to work but:

PLEASE NOTE that thumbnails do not generate 100%. They REMAIN BLURRY in this case.

Normally they become clear when i make them larger but after refreshing the view, they become blank again

Thumbnails become white blank after refresh 46502fc3-d26c-4bb0-b7ba-c5d98c14ec8c?upload=true.jpg

What services that i may have disabled cause this ?

:)

tonycst, Apr 4, 2020
  2. sirrus Win User

Blank Thumbnails on Taskbar and Paper white images icon

Hi, After the recent update 1709 -- (The fall update I think) I've encounter issues with thumbnail previewer. I does not show thumbnail images but default icon instead

Thumbnails become white blank after refresh [​IMG]

it wasn't my first time I've encountered this, It happened same thing on every updates. So knew I'd need to rebuild icon and thumbnail cache once again so I following this steps...

Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting Solved - Windows 10 Forums

After few restart, it did not solve my issues issues, It did not rebuild cache but went for worst. Now I got I got a blank icon/thumbnails on taskbar (left of screen) and it seem to happen only on windows store app (i.e. calendar, mail, photo previewer and etc..) not the third party programs.

I also have issues with images (almost most image format) showing paper white thumbnails, instead of previewer or default icon.

I cannot fathom how this happen. I've spend hours goggling for solution, done many different methods on rebuilding icon and reboot pc 50+ times. Went through recovery and rollback version. sfc /scannow DISM. virus screening, disk cleaning and etc none of it detect my issues and its driving me nuts.
    Instead of having to reset windows and reinstall many of 3rd parties program again I was hoping there are solution. Would anyone by any chance know what the issues are? Thanks in advance.

sirrus, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 tiles are blank / white with no thumbnail icons!

Hi All

Running Windows 10 operating system... I have the same issue but on my desktop and Taskbar at the bottom of the screen... White Box Icon... If I click the start it shows the correct icon but if I open it from there it shows white on the task bar...

Tried this:

Method 1: You may also try to enable or disable the thumbnail preview using group policy editor.

Follow the steps to do so:

• Press Windows and R key together to open the run box.
    • Type “gpedit.msc” in the box and hit Enter.
    • Now, navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar in left pan of Group Policy Editor.
    • Locate “Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails” in right pane of Group policy editor and double click on it.
    • Select Disable and click on Apply and then on OK.
    • Check if you are able to view the images.
    But computer said no file found...

James__Abbey, Apr 4, 2020
  4. XOR42 Win User

Windows 10 tiles are blank / white with no thumbnail icons!

Great! I'm a senior windows techie who somehow never came across this solution in 2 years of searching. I tried it and, knock on Bakelite, it worked! However, it doesn't immediately show any change. From many previous tweaking session, I found an easy
    way to refresh the Desktop, Taskbar and related items is to restart
    Windows Explorer. This avoids rebooting which, in my case, with 100's of big apps, can take 8-10 minutes for all to settle down.

1. Click the Windows 10 "Start" or "Search" button

2. Enter "Task Manager" and <enter> to run.

3.. Click <more> at bottom to see all background processes, including
    Windows Explorer.

4. Scroll down and find the last entry of "Windows Explorer"
    near the end. There may be
    Explorer
    entries earlier in the list. It is the last one in the list that displays the
    Taskbar, Desktop, and other related items.

5. Right click on the entry and click
    Restart.

6. The screen clears and quickly refreshes. The blank task bar items should then be shown.

So, that's all of 20 seconds versus 5-10 minutes for a complete reboot.

Thanks again.

XOR42, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Thumbnails become white blank after refresh - Similar Threads - Thumbnails become white

2. PNG thumbnails are blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PNG thumbnails are blank: A few months ago, all the PNG thumbnails on my computer went blank on my desktop and in explorer except for when the background transparent part is black. Some of my app icons went completely missing transparent instead of a blank file icon. JPG icons are fine, the images are...
  3. PNG thumbnails are blank

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PNG thumbnails are blank: A few months ago, all the PNG thumbnails on my computer went blank on my desktop and in explorer except for when the background transparent part is black. Some of my app icons went completely missing transparent instead of a blank file icon. JPG icons are fine, the images are...
  4. PNG thumbnails are blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. PNG thumbnails are white

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PNG thumbnails are white: In file explorer, icons for JPG files are pics, but PNG files are white thumbnails. I cleared icon cache, and followed all troubleshooting suggestions, but nothing has worked. Win10, all updates, SSD and HDD have plenty of room., no other problems...
  6. PNG thumbnails are white

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PNG thumbnails are white: In file explorer, icons for JPG files are pics, but PNG files are white thumbnails. I cleared icon cache, and followed all troubleshooting suggestions, but nothing has worked. Win10, all updates, SSD and HDD have plenty of room., no other problems...
  7. PNG thumbnails are white

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. White blank screen

in Windows 10 Support
    White blank screen: I have a Asus e303ma laptop Window's 10 was working well until my screen change white blank screen and it did freeze before the white Screen it was the normal Window's 10 Screen. What can I do to clear it? 154888
  9. Blank Thumbnails on Taskbar and Paper white images icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank Thumbnails on Taskbar and Paper white images icon: Hi, After the recent update 1709 -- (The fall update I think) I've encounter issues with thumbnail previewer. I does not show thumbnail images but default icon instead [img] it wasn't my first time I've encountered this, It happened same thing on every updates. So knew...
  10. Thumbnails frequently fail to refresh

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails frequently fail to refresh: Win 10 File Explorer thumbnails frequently do not refresh after changes such as cropping in an image editor. Despite much googling I've still not found a reliable fix. For example, Falcon-12 has an AR of 16:9, despite itswide thumb, which looks identical to that of the 2:1...