Windows 10: Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on

Discus and support Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Recently I started experiencing issues with transferring files from my Windows 10 laptop (Win version 1903) to a Synology NAS. On a regular basis, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by m00li3, Sep 27, 2019.

1. m00li3 Win User

Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on

Recently I started experiencing issues with transferring files from my Windows 10 laptop (Win version 1903) to a Synology NAS. On a regular basis, I need to transfer around 1 GB to the NAS. When I try to do that now, the transfer speed will go down to zero after 2 seconds and after that transfer speed will go up again occasionally only to go back to zero again. It now takes me around 15 minutes to transfer 1 GB on a 1Gb ethernet connection, instead of the usual 10 seconds. When I download the same files again to my laptop there are no problems, so it's only uploading that is slow.

After some experimenting with SMB settings (to no avail) and other clients (a mac client had no issues) I could narrow the issue down to the Real Time Protection of Windows Defender. When I turned this off, uploading files to the NAS were back to normal.

I find it strange that only uploading is affected by Windows Defender (If any, I would assume Windows Defender would slow down downloads for scanning purposes), and I know you can exclude the network destination from being scanned by Windows Defender. But I don't see a valid reason why I would need to exclude the network destination to successfully transfer some files from my laptop to that destination.

I guess this is more a bug report than a question, but I cannot find a proper place to report a Windows Defender bug.

Cheers,

Ronald

:)

m00li3, Sep 27, 2019

2. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused

I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0.

I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender Free) started having some issues (they gui didn't display correctly) so I decided to uninstall it and just go with Windows Defender.

The problem is I can't get it to work... I get a notification in the Action Center saying to turn on the virus protection, when I click it, Windows Defender goes green(PC status: protected, Real time protection: on) for a second and then goes yellow again (PC status: Windows Defender is OFF, Real time protection: Handled by another AV program) and I get the notification again. If instead of clicking the notification I click "Turn on" on the Windows Defender gui, Windows opens another window, "Apps & Features" in settings, like asking me to uninstall the other, nonexistent AV.

Now, I've tried a lot of things...

• Of course, I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender. I used the official tool provided by them for this. There is nothing in the registry by bitdefender nor any file or folder by that name in my PC.

• I have tried every step listed here.

• I have tried to install another AV (Avast) and the uninstall it to see if this would "reset" somehow windows defender. (Nope.)

• I have run MBAM and nothing pops-up

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is noDisableAntiSpyware key. But in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is a DisableAntiSpyware key and its value is 0. (Not sure if this is important but wanted to give you the info.)

Anyone has any idea? Right now I'm thinking of downloading another AV or just go without any and be done with it. *Huh

ThunderRoad, Sep 27, 2019
  3. josh1221 Win User
    Windows Defender Real-time Protection will not turn on

I've done the exact same steps and same for me. Still won't turn on. Anyone have a way to muscle defender into turning on real-time protection?

josh1221, Sep 27, 2019
  4. Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on

I can't turn on Windows Defender Real Time Protection

We appreciate your response. We suggest that you try to turn on Windows Defender Real Time Protection from a Hidden Administrator account. To enable Hidden Administrator, the following are the steps:

• Right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the command prompt, type in net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter.
    • Log out and log back in using the Administrator account.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Hector Mad, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on

1. Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on - Similar Threads - Transferring files NAS

2. Turning Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection: So i'm trying to do what the title says and basically it seems like it's impossible. Sure i can turn it off in the settings but every time i restart my computer it gets turned back on automatically. I was on windows 1803 a couple of days ago and i was able to simply turn it...
  3. Unable to turn on real-time protection for Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to turn on real-time protection for Windows Defender: I recently decided to uninstall all my anti-virus software and wanted to revert to using Windows Defender as my main anti-virus. After uninstalling, I went ahead and open Windows Defender and saw that my real-time protection was disabled. I went into settings and when I was...
  4. Can't turn on real time protection on windows defender

Can't turn on real time protection on windows defender: Since my pc was working slowly for the whole day so I thought of scanning it. When I opened my windows defender it asked for an update. At that time my real time protection was turned on. After that first I completed scanning and then updated virus and spyware definition....
  5. Windows Defender Real Time Protection is Turned Off

Windows Defender Real Time Protection is Turned Off: [ATTACH][ATTACH] Please help me in solving this issue my windows defender real time protection is turned off and not turning on it says this setting can be managed by your administrator only but i'm using my administrator account only as you can see in image please give me...
  6. Defender & cant turn on real time protection

Defender & cant turn on real time protection: Hello In Virus Threat & protection settings Real Time protection & Cloud Delivered Protection is off with a message that this is managed by your administrator (I am the admin) I think I have the residual bits of of a malware or virus scanner free program I tried a few...
  7. Window Defender: Cannot Turn On Real Time Protection

Window Defender: Cannot Turn On Real Time Protection: I have been using Windows Defender for a while now and it was fine but recently I installed McAfee and used its free trial. After I noticed how slow my computer was I uninstalled it. Now when I go back to Window Defender the option to turn on Real-Time Protection is grayed...
  8. Windows Defender not turning on real time protection

Windows Defender not turning on real time protection: I cant seem to solve the problem even after following all the steps given in the Microsoft support page. I haven't seen any other antivirus softwares installed and still can't have access to my windows defender. Any solutions?...
  9. Windows Defender not turning on real time protection

Windows Defender not turning on real time protection: I cant seem to solve the problem even after following all the steps given in the Microsoft support page. I haven't seen any other antivirus softwares installed and still can't have access to my windows defender. Any solutions?...
  10. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection: Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0. I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows security real time protection nas