Windows 10: Tried to update NIC driver to Win 10 driver now all NICs are missing

Discus and support Tried to update NIC driver to Win 10 driver now all NICs are missing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Kbird Is that a light I see??? You get it. I boot into other OS and all is well. I boot Win 10 and Device Manager see's all and says all is well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bill Kalbo, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Tried to update NIC driver to Win 10 driver now all NICs are missing

Kbird

Is that a light I see??? You get it.
    I boot into other OS and all is well.
    I boot Win 10 and Device Manager see's all and says all is well
    I look at networks and none of my adapters are showing up as networks.

Last night I upgraded my system with a new motherboard (and new built in network adapters) and Win 10 has the same problem. Other OS's are still fine. Of course, I had to load new drivers, etc for each OS.

I completely agree that it's a problem with the the protocols.

How can I rip out and/or replace all the protocols?

Bill

Bill Kalbo, Oct 27, 2016
  2. bro67 Win User

Did you do a fresh install of Windows 10? Changing the motherboard means a new license, which means that you have to purchase it if Windows 10 did not ship with that motherboard. You cannot take a preinstalled version for a completely different Motherboard and use it on another Motherboard.

bro67, Oct 27, 2016
  3. Microsoft completely disagrees with you. To quote them, "You're friend is totally wrong". Switching MB doesn't effect your licence.

I noticed that you didn't have any idea how to fix my problem, ie, how to remove/replace the protocols.

Bill Kalbo, Oct 27, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Tried to update NIC driver to Win 10 driver now all NICs are missing

If you have Retail Win10 ,then I think you can move it machine to machine...........(if used on only one machine)

Post #8 (2nd part) is supposed to work like the Reset Network button Win10 now has..... did you try it?

KB

Kbird, Oct 27, 2016
  5. Full disclosure: Office gave me grief but a 5 minute call to MS, told them I replaced motherboard and it's resolved.
    The OS has not balked at all just like MS told me.

Post #8: I did and every time, it failed on the last or next to last command

Any idea how to reinstall all the protocols?

Bill Kalbo, Oct 27, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    If you are getting the missing protocols error with networking. It is because of the lock that Microsoft put to stop Guest access through SMB/CIFS. There is a tutorial that walks you through stopping the service and restarting it in the tutorials section on here.

bro67, Oct 28, 2016
  7. "There is a tutorial that walks you through stopping the service and restarting it in the tutorials section on here."

I have no idea what that is supposed to tell me. It doesn't matter as I am not getting the message you mentioned.

What I am still looking to do is to reload the protocols that appear to be missing/broken.

Bill Kalbo, Oct 28, 2016
  8. Tried to update NIC driver to Win 10 driver now all NICs are missing

On the one hand: Have you tried reinstalling the ethernet and wireless drivers? You should be looking if there's an uninstaller under Programs and Features first before trying so from Device Manager. Using DM may not actually remove the driver files - depends on how the h/w level driver was written.

On the other hand: Since NO network is showing up and Device Manager show no problem, is probably not an individual driver issue tho would still give uninstaller a shot if you haven't yet

I would next try using DISM to try a repair
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

ComputerGeek, Oct 28, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    You may have a Winsock issue too and need to reset it , more info here :
    http://www.kapilarya.com/windows-soc...ity-is-missing

and a small program to do it for you
    WinsockReset Foolish IT

from the admin command prompt

netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ip reset
    ipconfig /flushdns

then restart the computer

the other commands are:

netsh int ipv4 install
    netsh int ipv6 install

you could try the system file repair command, if the preceding does not work,

sfc /scannow

Or an Inplace Repair install of Win10 which will Refresh all Windows Files

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade[2]=Installation and Setup

Kbird, Oct 28, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    That information is in the Tutorials area at the top of the page marked "Tutorials". It is a Service for networking that is a part of why the missing protocols happens. It was supposed to be fixed with the Anniversary edition was released.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Tried to update NIC driver to Win 10 driver now all NICs are missing

1. Tried to update NIC driver to Win 10 driver now all NICs are missing - Similar Threads - Tried update NIC

2. Win7 driver for 802.11n NIC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 driver for 802.11n NIC: i got an ASUS dual-band wireless USB adapter, and when i plugged it in, it couldn't find the driver reqd. Win7 attempts to find said driver in the Windows updates, but couldn't find it. i googled it and found a zip file for download. how do i make Win7 to use it?...
  3. Win7 driver for 802.11n NIC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 driver for 802.11n NIC: i got an ASUS dual-band wireless USB adapter, and when i plugged it in, it couldn't find the driver reqd. Win7 attempts to find said driver in the Windows updates, but couldn't find it. i googled it and found a zip file for download. how do i make Win7 to use it?...
  4. Windows Firewire NIC Drivers NotDiskRelated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Firewire NIC Drivers NotDiskRelated: Ok Team this is a challenge. I have Window Server installed on a MAC, and it has a Firewire Controller. I can get remote Drives working in Target Disk Mode, But I cant get it to run a Network Interface like on MACOS. I have the driver installer as Legacy Interface 1394 IEEE,...
  5. Windows Firewire NIC Drivers NotDiskRelated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Firewire NIC Drivers NotDiskRelated: Ok Team this is a challenge. I have Window Server installed on a MAC, and it has a Firewire Controller. I can get remote Drives working in Target Disk Mode, But I cant get it to run a Network Interface like on MACOS. I have the driver installer as Legacy Interface 1394 IEEE,...
  6. How to find a driver for chipset NIC card?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to find a driver for chipset NIC card?: Can anyone tell me how to find the newest driver for a Asus 10 Gig NIC card it is model XG-C100F. The asus websites driver is very old, i have found some post about a similar card that says it uses Aquantia but how do you confirm that? If i click into the NIC cards properties...
  7. Benchmark NIC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Benchmark NIC?: Hi, is there some way to consistently benchmark your NIC so one can try out different settings (offload etc) and see what works best? I am trying Psping, but it's very weird, if i have chrome opened it works faster then if it's not opened etc, which makes no sense....
  8. Win 10 1000 Mbps NIC??

Win 10 1000 Mbps NIC??: I wanted to upgrade my network card this weekend to handle 1000Mbps speeds, and I went to Microcenter to pick up a new NIC, but none of them say if they will work with Win 10 x64 or not. I picked up an Intel Pro/1000 GT NIC thinking that Intel is always in the game, but when...
  9. Teaming NICS ?

Teaming NICS ?: How do you assign matrix as without it only one will be used and its also no good unless the nic has a cpu which can handle the traffic instead of the pc or the bottle neck will be the pc. Using basic broadband on gigabyte nic one should have no problems at Barclays we ran...
  10. 'Wrong' Nic Card driver

'Wrong' Nic Card driver: Hi Guys I'm not sure what to do about this, whether to leave it as is and use the driver Windows thinks I should use or some how use the driver for the nic card I actually bought. The manufacturer appears not to have a Windows 10 driver and the one listed on their...