Windows 10: Trim Enabled Setting - ReFS What Should I Do Here?

Discus and support Trim Enabled Setting - ReFS What Should I Do Here? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On a current Windows 10 Build, recently restored an acronis backup to a swapped out Samsung 860 EVO ssd (lightly used on a nvidia shield). The restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sjf99, May 10, 2019.

1. sjf99 Win User

Trim Enabled Setting - ReFS What Should I Do Here?

On a current Windows 10 Build, recently restored an acronis backup to a swapped out Samsung 860 EVO ssd (lightly used on a nvidia shield). The restore with the OS to the 860 worked successfully, booting up just fine, everything seems good.

I did want to check the optimization of the ssd and this is where my question lies and based on the research I have done to date. So, looked at the TRIM setting by running the following at an elevated command prompt:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

Returning:

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)
    ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

From my research, If the command returns 0 (zero), then I should be good. Despite the fact that I see “(Disabled),” TRIM is enabled on the computer, and there’s nothing else I have to do (luv the old double negative meaning).

Anways, the heart of my question, ReFS is typically reserved for Server based computers/OS. ReFS, also known as Resilient File System, is a Microsoft proprietary file system that is not commonly used on Windows home PCs. You can read more about it on Wikipedia.

Shouldn't the ReFS line read "ReFS DisableDeleteNotify is not currently set"? Or should I set it to '1' or something else? Anything to be worried about?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

:)

sjf99, May 10, 2019

2. Ensure Trim is Enabled?

I have read several articles on Trim and it seems like my settings are opposite of what the articles say. All articles say the setting should be "0" for Trim to be enabled.

I followed the steps to verify the status and below is what my system reports.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

so I went through the steps to enable Trim and got this message-

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

I then went through the steps to disable Trim and got this message-

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Enabled)

What should I actually be looking at to enable Trim??

Thanks!

Thirst4Christ, May 10, 2019
  3. lx07 Win User
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Ensure Trim is Enabled?

Hi Thirst4Chris4, Trim is by defult turned on in Windows 10 for SSD's

Check if Trim is Enabled:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

Turn Trim On:

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

Check if Trim is Enabled again:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If that command returns DisableDeleteNotify = 0 then Trim is turned on (it is counter intuitive, 0 means trim is on and 1 means it is disabled) . . .

DaveM121, May 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Trim Enabled Setting - ReFS What Should I Do Here? - Similar Threads - Trim Enabled Setting

2. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What should I do?: Reciently I got a trojan virus Win32/Manson.A!a and I don't know how to uninstall it.The first thing I did was scanning my PC with Windows Defender, and it found that virus. I chose "remove" option image 1. I scanned my PC again just to confirm the virus had been deleted....
  3. What should i do ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What should i do ?: I just did a restore and chose to keep my files. When it was finished, it booted into a screen asking you to select Windows 10 on Volume 3.There are two options, both of which are identical: Windows 10 on Volume 3.Regardless of whether I choose one of them manually or let it...
  4. Should I trim my ssd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I trim my ssd?: Should I trim my ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-trim-my-ssd/0898d751-6e4a-4fa1-8601-ea358aa1b52e
  5. Should I trim my ssd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I trim my ssd?: Should I trim my ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-trim-my-ssd/0898d751-6e4a-4fa1-8601-ea358aa1b52e
  6. What should i do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What should i do?: Hi, recently i downloaded a program to get a free program photoshop CC 2015,while i was downloading the crack, there were notifications on my computer that it wasa virus/malicious program, although i dont know if it is or not, in the video where i downloading it there...
  7. What should I do here, I formatted Partition 2 as I should but it says this. Should I...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What should I do here, I formatted Partition 2 as I should but it says this. Should I...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KLolisTsiros [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fuz611/what_should_i_do_here_i_formatted_partition_2_as/
  8. settings does not open what should i do ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings does not open what should i do ?: settings does not open what should i do ? it opens for just few scounds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-does-not-open-what-should-i-do/b0e46aa8-3a38-4547-8ede-c3390c87920f
  9. Trim Enabled Setting - ReFS What Should I Do Here?

in Windows 10 Support
    Trim Enabled Setting - ReFS What Should I Do Here?: On a current Windows 10 Build, recently restored an acronis backup to a swapped out Samsung 860 EVO ssd (lightly used on a nvidia shield). The restore with the OS to the 860 worked successfully, booting up just fine, everything seems good. I did want to check the...
  10. Is Trim Enabled ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is Trim Enabled ?: Checking a few things I ran the command to check if Trim is enabled and got this: C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I thought if it showed 0 it meant it's enabled....