Windows 10: Trying to use the Backup feature but "No usable drives found"

Discus and support Trying to use the Backup feature but "No usable drives found" in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a fairly new Seagate 3TB USB3.0 drive that I've been using as a data backup on my desktop. I've been just copying stuff over to the drive once a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ARAMP1, Mar 16, 2016.

1. ARAMP1 Win User

Trying to use the Backup feature but "No usable drives found"

I have a fairly new Seagate 3TB USB3.0 drive that I've been using as a data backup on my desktop. I've been just copying stuff over to the drive once a month or so, but decided that I may as well use the backup feature in windows 10. However, I'm running into an issue.

The drive is usable and I can drag/drop files over to it. I've tried "Include in Library" both my data drive and my backup drives, but that doesn't seem to work. I've tried searching the forum but didn't find anything. Any suggestions?

:)

ARAMP1, Mar 16, 2016
  2. DonDuBois Win User

The backup option does not recognize my external drive. How do I fix?

When I try to use the automatic backup to my external drive I get a message saying "No usable drives found". The drive is displayed in the "This PC" folder.

DonDuBois, Mar 16, 2016
  3. n.betty Win User
    File History Drive

I followed the steps in the link and when I go to settings>backup and click on Add a Drive, it says there are "no usable drives found".

n.betty, Mar 16, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  5. ARAMP1 Win User
    Thanks.

It's the "Z" drive I'd like to use as the backup.

ARAMP1, Mar 16, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It doesn't look like you have too much on that drive, so what I would suggest is copy off of it whatever you want to save. Delete the existing partition on it. Create a new Primary NTFS Partition on it, assign it the drive letter you want. And before you copy anything else onto it and after restarting your computer, then try file history again.

Also, I would recommend a different letter than previously used as well.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  7. ARAMP1 Win User
    Yeah, there's nothing on the drive. I just reformatted it. I'll give this a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

ARAMP1, Mar 16, 2016
  8. ARAMP1 Win User

Well, still no luck. It's just not seeing any of my drives.

Edit to Add: The kicker is, it gives me the option to "Show all network locations" and I can find my small NAS and do the backup to that. *Banghead

ARAMP1, Mar 16, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sorry, I can't help much more. What I read was that sometimes you get the no drives found because the available drives have hidden files on them from being previously used for other Windows backups. Reformatting and assigning a different drive letter should have fixed that if that was the problem. I guess one last thing is to right click on the drive letter in file explorer and look at the security tab. Add permission for "everyone" to have full access to the drive itself, but I don't think that will fix it.

I like the program FreeFileSync:
    FreeFileSync download | SourceForge.net

A workaround, at least, until you get Windows file history figured out.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  10. bighair Win User
    i had the same problem, but in my case it was that i have used the drive for my music files and have entered the location in windows
    media player, as soon i removed that, then it see the drive.
    you have to be sure you have not entered the drive in some kind of libary.

bighair, Mar 16, 2016
  11. ARAMP1 Win User
    I'll probably just keep doing it old school...about once every two to three weeks, just copying it over.

I appreciate you taking the time with the suggestions anyway.

ARAMP1, Mar 16, 2016
  12. ARAMP1 Win User
    I'll search around for that. Thanks.

ARAMP1, Mar 16, 2016
  13. ARAMP1 Win User

That did it! I had a "Documents" folder and a "Music" folder under "This PC" that were mapped to the USB drive. Once I changed the location (to where I really wanted them), I was able to see my USB drive. Thank you!

ARAMP1, Mar 16, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Looking at your Z drive .....in your screen shot, that drive is not activated so to speak, all you did was format it, but if you look at all your other drives in your pic, that WORK ....notice that their are no lines going thru them in your Disk Management screen. Its not an active NTFS partition at the moment. You should download MiniTool Partition Manager and use that Free program to fix your drive.
    Much easier than windows disk manager ....just a suggestion. *Smile

OldMike65, Mar 16, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    The Z: drive partition only appeared that way because that was the one he had highlighted by clicking on it.

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Trying to use the Backup feature but "No usable drives found" - Similar Threads - Trying Backup feature

2. When trying to back up Windows 11 image to external drive using "Windows 7" backup feature...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When trying to back up Windows 11 image to external drive using "Windows 7" backup feature...: I have 953 GB available on the source drive and 7 TB on the external target drive. I have reformatted the target drive and set Volume Shadow Copy service to automatic. I have also tried with virus protection turned off....
  3. When trying to back up Windows 11 image to external drive using "Windows 7" backup feature...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When trying to back up Windows 11 image to external drive using "Windows 7" backup feature...: I have 953 GB available on the source drive and 7 TB on the external target drive. I have reformatted the target drive and set Volume Shadow Copy service to automatic. I have also tried with virus protection turned off....
  4. I found a useful feature in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I found a useful feature in Windows 10: [ATTACH] I've never heard of this so i though i'd share. Holding the windows key opens a menu that shows win key combinations. https://preview.redd.it/vzaobfhdsm271.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=8b61e253c68d477aede5b7a395fd0ba792eaf103 submitted by /u/cigneve...
  5. Backup File History "No usable drives found" after Win10 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup File History "No usable drives found" after Win10 20H2 update: Hello, Following the Win10 20H2 update, I am no longer able to back up my file history. My SSD which I have previously used, is not detected as a "usable drive" anymore. Instead when trying to create a backup of my file history on my SSD I receive the message "no usable...
  6. Restore backup using hard drive or optical drive?

Restore backup using hard drive or optical drive?: When i made a backup image file in my external hard drive can i directly restore it from my hard drive or should i make a bootable copy at an optical drive? And if it's possible to use my hard drive will it erase all the data inside the hard drive?...
  7. Backup "No usable drives found"

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup "No usable drives found": Windows 10 Pro, Insider Preview. Was checking my Backup and found it was not running. Has in the past and have an older File History on an external drive. I want to create a new File History backup on a SSD, "D" on this PC. Go to "Add a Drive" in Settings, says "No usable...
  8. Backup "No usable drives found"

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup "No usable drives found": Windows 10 Pro, Insider Preview. Was checking my Backup and found it was not running. Has in the past and have an older File History on an external drive. I want to create a new File History backup on a SSD, "D" on this PC. Go to "Add a Drive" in Settings, says "No usable...
  9. windows 10 trying to use back up feature but no usable drivers found.

windows 10 trying to use back up feature but no usable drivers found.: external drive appears E in my computer and in devices but file history/ back up won't recognise it Any one got a Fix please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-trying-to-use-back-up-feature-but-no/24ec2783-1b97-4549-bda2-ce3844212a9b
  10. Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive

Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive: I have a seagate expansion drive I want to use as a backup drive on Windows 10 1803. When I go to settings>update and security>backup and select 'add a drive', windows says no usable drives found. I already have content on this drive. It displays in file explorer. I can use...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Trying to backup files and says theres no usable drives?

2. backup and restore in windows 10 no usable drives found

3. no usable drives found in windows 10 backup