Windows 10: turn off display option missing in system power settings

Discus and support turn off display option missing in system power settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just got my first laptop 2 days ago from HP. Already in hindsight, I kind of wish I hadn't because of the lame support options, but the laptop itself... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ezduzzit, Sep 24, 2019.

1. ezduzzit Win User

turn off display option missing in system power settings

I just got my first laptop 2 days ago from HP. Already in hindsight, I kind of wish I hadn't because of the lame support options, but the laptop itself is just fine with excellent display & performance. The keyboard is nice but the backlighting at my preferred sitting angle makes it look like the lower part of each character is "worn off", by that I mean the actual light doesn't show on the keys at the bottom, which makes them hard to distinguish. The Fn function keys are tiny too.

Anyway, all I first wanted to do is turn off the display without closing the lid, as this system only has a 3-cell battery (wtf) & there's no way it's going to last "9hrs 45min" on a full charge as HP says. So, I go to the power & sleep options and select "additional power settings", then "choose what closing the lid does". The option to "Turn off display" is not listed. Oh boy. After several failed attempts at getting HP support to actually help, I ran into an article where many people wanted to also know why that option was missing. A poster there said he went into the registry at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power and modified the entry "CSEnabled" from 1 to 0, rebooted & viola! it was listed, although he did note that doing so worked when he pushes the power button once (and does so now on mine) BUT it also removed the "sleep" option. Ugh. I just checked and I too am now missing the sleep option. I mean it seems like such a simple thing like "turn off display" wouldn't involve all this research & registry modifying. Anyone know how I can get the "sleep" option back WHILE keeping the "turn off display" option? - Thanks

:)

ezduzzit, Sep 24, 2019
  2. ezduzzit Win User

I just got my first laptop 2 days ago from HP. Already in hindsight, I kind of wish I hadn't because of the lame support options, but the laptop itself is just fine with excellent display & performance. The keyboard is nice but the backlighting at my preferred sitting angle makes it look like the lower part of each character is "worn off", by that I mean the actual light doesn't show on the keys at the bottom, which makes them hard to distinguish. The Fn function keys are tiny too.

Anyway, all I first wanted to do is turn off the display without closing the lid, as this system only has a 3-cell battery (wtf) & there's no way it's going to last "9hrs 45min" on a full charge as HP says. So, I go to the power & sleep options and select "additional power settings", then "choose what closing the lid does". The option to "Turn off display" is not listed. Oh boy. After several failed attempts at getting HP support to actually help, I ran into an article where many people wanted to also know why that option was missing. A poster there said he went into the registry at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power and modified the entry "CSEnabled" from 1 to 0, rebooted & viola! it was listed, although he did note that doing so worked when he pushes the power button once (and does so now on mine) BUT it also removed the "sleep" option. Ugh. I just checked and I too am now missing the sleep option. I mean it seems like such a simple thing like "turn off display" wouldn't involve all this research & registry modifying. Anyone know how I can get the "sleep" option back WHILE keeping the "turn off display" option? - Thanks

ezduzzit, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Bree Win User

Is your HP Envy 17t-ce000 CTO a 'Modern Standby' machine? If so, then that may explain it. From a similar question about a Dell XPS...

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/9...6130902#M14642

4. Brink Win User

Brink, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. turn off display option missing in system power settings - Similar Threads - turn off display

2. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  3. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  4. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. 'turn off the display' option is missing from power buttion config

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'turn off the display' option is missing from power buttion config: Hi,I could not find the 'turn off the display' option for what the sleep and power button do. I saw a solution for the same issue for Windows 10 but that register Key does not exist in Windows 11 so I don't know how to fix it. Could anyone help?...
  6. 'turn off the display' option is missing from power buttion config

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'turn off the display' option is missing from power buttion config: Hi,I could not find the 'turn off the display' option for what the sleep and power button do. I saw a solution for the same issue for Windows 10 but that register Key does not exist in Windows 11 so I don't know how to fix it. Could anyone help?...
  7. Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

in Windows 10 Support
    Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on: Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) I have a Dell Inspiron 7700 All-in-One computer. I have the power setting set to turn off display in 10 minutes and the put the computer to sleep set to never. After 10 minutes of no activity the screen turns off but then turns...
  8. Windows 10 Turn off Display Power Setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Turn off Display Power Setting: I have an MSI laptop that I use for streaming, so I leave the computer on almost all the time. I want my monitors to turn off though after a period of inactivity. I have my power plan settings set to turn the monitors off after 15 minutes. When 15 minutes is up, the displays...
  9. Power Option for "Turning off display" remains at "15 minutes"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Power Option for "Turning off display" remains at "15 minutes": I am running Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. Whenever I set the option "Turn off the display" to "Never", it reverts back to the default "15 minutes". This is under the "High Performance" profile. I have never, since Windows 3.11, ever had a setting change itself back. I have...
  10. Laptop display won't turn off after set time in power options

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop display won't turn off after set time in power options: I have my laptop display set to turn off after 15 minutes when it's plugged in, but it never does. I've tried changing the time & it still never turns off. Is there an application that could causing this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Oh & I'm running Windows 10. 25634

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no turn off display option

2. turn off the display missing

3. registry entry turn display power off