Windows 10: Types of Administrator Accounts

Discus and support Types of Administrator Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Carbonite considers Local Admin. Acct. a "Users" account. It is configured needing me to be the Administrator. Is this the "Hidden" Administrator... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by lowdown, Jul 28, 2016.

1. lowdown Win User

Types of Administrator Accounts

Carbonite considers Local Admin. Acct. a "Users" account. It is configured needing me to be the Administrator. Is this the "Hidden" Administrator Account?

Just re-set PC to factory settings, skipped registration etc. I named PC is about it and I am Local Account Administrator.

Pre-installed Windows 10.

:)

lowdown, Jul 28, 2016
  2. David Haz Win User

Administration Privileges.

Hello Benjamin,

An administrator is someone who can make changes on a computer that will affect other users of the computer. Administrators can change security settings, install software and hardware, access all files on the computer, and make changes to other user accounts.
    To log on as an administrator, you need to have a user account on the computer with an
    Administrator account type.

If you are not sure if the account that you have on the computer is an administrator account, you may check the account type after you have logged on:

• Press the Start button, and type Control Panel.
    • Select Control Panel, and click User Accounts.
    • Click User Accounts, and click Manage User Accounts.
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    Your account type is displayed below your user name.

If your account type is Administrator, then you are currently logged on as an administrator.

If your account type is not an Administrator, then you may not log on as an administrator unless you know the user name and password for another account on the computer that is an administrator. If you are not an administrator, you may ask
    an administrator to change your account type.

Feel free to ask us if you need further assistance.

Regards.

David Haz, Jul 28, 2016
  3. Cant open Chrome

Give this a try:

Open Start

Type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

At the command prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Hit Enter

Close command prompt, restart, then try signing into the Administrator account.

Try changing your account type from within Administrator to Administrator.

Open Start > Settings > Accounts > Family & other people

Select the account thats experiencing problems

Click Change account type

Choose Administrator

Andre Da Costa, Jul 28, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello lowdown, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The built-in "Administrator" account is an elevated local account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

An administrator account you add can be a local account or a Microsoft account, but doesn't have elevated rights by default. You must approve the UAC prompt when an app is to "Run as administrator" or requires elevated rights to open.

Brink, Jul 28, 2016
  5. lowdown Win User
    Carbonite told me it is configured to use the Administrator Account (owner of subscription?) for restoring files for me that they are being held in their "Cloud" The other files are classified as "User" Accounts.

Consequently I have many gigs worth of file I can only partly down load back into my PC

So I guess I meant what would be considered the Administrator.

My local Admin. shows up under "Users" like on Control Panel,

I am not signed in with a Microsoft account.

lowdown, Jul 29, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 29, 2016
  7. lowdown Win User
    Followed your suggestion and went to command prompt net localgroup administrator and I am administrator. Still don't have it thru my thick skull about groups, users, standard but you have been my best help by far.
    Couple of quick things for now. Windows suggest using a standard account for daily use. When I make that switch does my name have to be different and I put a space in my or computer's name that should be fixed? I used my first and last name.

lowdown, Jul 30, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You won't be able to use the computer name for the name of a user account, so yeah you'll need to add a dash or space to have it similar.

If this is for a home computer. then there's nothing wrong with using an administrator account all the time if you like. I would recommend to have it password protected. You just don't want to use the built-in "Administrator" account for daily usage.

Brink, Jul 30, 2016
  9. lowdown Win User
    Am password protected and now know not to use built-in "Administrator"
    In my "Windows 10 for Seniors ( Dummies) it said when setting PC up for first time "do not put space in computer name"
    Well I used my first and last name. Does this just mean it stays C:\users\ Bob ***** or can I get my folders back to just Bob?

lowdown, Jul 30, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's correct. You don't want a space in the computer name, but it's ok for a user name.

The name of the user profile folder will be the name your used for your account instead of the computer name though.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Types of Administrator Accounts - Similar Threads - Types Administrator Accounts

2. Unable to use administrator account of any type.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to use administrator account of any type.: I am only account on computer and every attempt to use admin access for anything I am being denied. When trying to use admin for command prompt I get the following: Verified publisher: Microsoft CorporationFile origin: Hard drive on this computerShow more detailsTo continue,...
  3. Unable to use administrator account of any type.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use administrator account of any type.: I am only account on computer and every attempt to use admin access for anything I am being denied. When trying to use admin for command prompt I get the following: Verified publisher: Microsoft CorporationFile origin: Hard drive on this computerShow more detailsTo continue,...
  4. How to change the account type from administrator and change the name.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the account type from administrator and change the name.: Hi,So I had given my pc for some repairs and the data had to be wiped off. So when I got my pc back there was a administrator account named 'Asus' as the main account for my pc. So how can I change the type and the name.Thank you...
  5. How to change the account type from administrator and change the name.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the account type from administrator and change the name.: Hi,So I had given my pc for some repairs and the data had to be wiped off. So when I got my pc back there was a administrator account named 'Asus' as the main account for my pc. So how can I change the type and the name.Thank you...
  6. i changed my account type from administrator to standard account

i changed my account type from administrator to standard account: hai, please someone help me, im having problem, im changing my account type from administrator to standard account, and i want to change it again to the administrator but i cant open the netplwiz so please someone help me...
  7. Change Account type from Administrator to Standard

Change Account type from Administrator to Standard: How do I change Account type from Administrator to Standard? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-account-type-from-administrator-to-standard/0bb78dea-dd6e-4e42-b949-ff40def4d648
  8. Types of sign in accounts... administrator or regular user??

Types of sign in accounts... administrator or regular user??: When I set up my new Pavilion desktop, I set up my profile account using my Gmail/ Microsoft account as an ADMINISTRATOR. When I try to access my Quicken account, I get a message that Quicken does not allow administrators to access accounts! So, I suppose I have to set up...
  9. how to change account from a member account to an administrator account type?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how to change account from a member account to an administrator account type?: how do I change my MS account to an administrator account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-account-from-a-member-account-to-an/17203dfd-0446-478f-ad7d-e931256816e4"
  10. changing account type back to administrator group

changing account type back to administrator group: Hi everyone, I accidentally changed the only active admin account type of my Win 10 to users group. As I didn't backed up the bitlocker key I'm in a bad trouble. i can't even reset my windows because of this. and due to same problem i can't activate the built in administrator...