Windows 10: UAC by-pass programs won't work on 1 laptop

Discus and support UAC by-pass programs won't work on 1 laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS13 laptop that won't allow UAC bypass programs like UACPASS and WINAERO Elevated Shortcut to work. Both program run fine on a desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ruggb, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ruggb Win User

UAC by-pass programs won't work on 1 laptop

I have a Dell XPS13 laptop that won't allow UAC bypass programs like UACPASS and WINAERO Elevated Shortcut to work. Both program run fine on a desktop and another laptop. Both programs will open on all computers. I am admin on all computers. UAC is set the same on all computers - almost always notify. All computers are running W10 Pro. It was a clean install on this laptop. It did not work with the original Home edition either. I can create a bypass task manually. UACpass simply gives me an error tone with no explanation and Winaero won't display the form on the Elevated Shortcut window. All systems are running on SSD's. The Dell is GPT, the others are MBR.
    What else is there??? These programs won't work for standard users so maybe they are not seeing me as an admin user, BUT WHY?? I am the ONLY user.

:)

ruggb, Jan 17, 2017

2. User account control problems windows 10

I have a program that only works with UAC disabled, but Microsoft Edge won't work with AUC disabled?

Shawntavius, Jan 17, 2017
  3. Disable UAC for 1 Program only

HI,

This should work. If not check with the support for that program.

How to Create Elevated App Shortcut without UAC Prompt in Windows 10

Create Elevated Shortcut without UAC prompt in Windows 10

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ruggb, *Smile

If you haven't already, you might see if the method used in the tutorial below may work for you to create an elevated shortcut that won't give a UAC prompt. It still works great for me.

Elevated Shortcut without UAC - Create in Windows 10

Brink, Jan 17, 2017
  5. prikker Win User
    Have you tried Tweak UAC?

prikker, Jan 17, 2017
  6. ruggb Win User
    Brink >> I can create a bypass task manually.
    prikker >> no, but I will. I figured if 2 different ones don't work something is wrong

If none of these work for a std user and these won't even get to first base, are they seeing me as a std user.
    I guess I will try that. But why would they????

ruggb, Jan 17, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 17, 2017
  8. ruggb Win User

I am an admin, I belong to the admin group. If I run TAKEOWN /a /f c: in an admin cmd window I get that c: is now owned by the admin group. I also do TAKEOWN /f /C: and verify I own it.
    The programs still do not work, even if I run them as admin.
    Again, they work fine on 2 other units with the same OS and basically configured the same.
    If I try to run the programs under a std user it first asks for an admin p/w, but still does not work.

ruggb, Jan 17, 2017
  9. ruggb Win User
    Tweak UAC does not do the same thing.

ruggb, Jan 18, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's never a good idea to take ownership of the entire Windows C: drive like that. It will usually cause issues that can only be fixed by a clean install.

The elevated shortcut must be created for each standard user you want to use it in using the steps in the tutorial above. It won't work if you copy it to another account. If you did do the exact steps in the tutorial, then you might see if deleting the credentials for the shortcut in Credential Manager and starting over may have the next one work.

Brink, Jan 18, 2017
  11. ruggb Win User
    yes I tried that also. deleting all
    The manual created shortcuts work, but something about this system is stopping the programs from creating shortcuts.
    And they are not providing me with any feedback to troubleshoot. Just nothing happens

ruggb, Jan 18, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's most likely due to the programs not having system rights to do so.

Brink, Jan 18, 2017
  13. ruggb Win User

both were installed the same way on the computers that work. in fact, i think that neither really need to be installed.
    even if i run them as admin, nothing works. all computers are on 1607 14393.693

ruggb, Jan 18, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Did you disable UAC by chance? That will often cause issues with elevated rights.

Brink, Jan 18, 2017
  15. ruggb Win User
    nope, everything that I can think of that might cause this is the same on all systems.
    UAC ===
    Admin status ===
    Admin group status ===
    ownership = I am not sure what it is on the other systems but I changed it to me in the effort so I was "normal" when this started.
    Windows version === it was Home when I started. Did a clean install of Pro but that didn't change anything.
    program settings === basically default settings -
    Neither program will tell me what the error/problem is
    The program was installed soon after the clean install so I don't believe another program is affecting it. Any programs on this are also on the others - except for the hardware drivers and the GPT drive.

ruggb, Jan 18, 2017
Thema:

1. UAC by-pass programs won't work on 1 laptop - Similar Threads - UAC pass programs

2. Programs won't load or work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs won't load or work: A couple of hours ago while I was on facebook I suddenly had an AVG pop-up that it had secured a threat. I went to click AVG in taskbar icons but AVG didn't start/open and the icon disappeared. I went to AVG in c: program files and clicked on the exe and shortcut icons but...
  3. Programs won't load or work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs won't load or work: A couple of hours ago while I was on facebook I suddenly had an AVG pop-up that it had secured a threat. I went to click AVG in taskbar icons but AVG didn't start/open and the icon disappeared. I went to AVG in c: program files and clicked on the exe and shortcut icons but...
  4. Programs won't load or work

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Inaccessible program files and/or UAC

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible program files and/or UAC: Hello earthlings. Two questions about executables (program files). Or UAC? Or executables and UAC. I'm not sure. Is it possible to make a permanent change of an executable's process priority? If the process priority is changed by using the task manager, the change will only...
  6. UAC for programs, then programs' bottoms are under the Taskbar

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC for programs, then programs' bottoms are under the Taskbar: I looked at the Tutorial page about UAC but nothing seemed to help with getting rid of that intermediate step where it asks for permission to run. I had that fixed in Win7, there must be a way in Win10, no? Second, how does one prevent a program's open window going under the...
  7. UAC for programs, then programs' bottoms are under the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    UAC for programs, then programs' bottoms are under the Taskbar: I looked at the Tutorial page about UAC but nothing seemed to help with getting rid of that intermediate step where it asks for permission to run. I had that fixed in Win7, there must be a way in Win10, no? Second, how does one prevent a program's open window going under the...
  8. Game pass games won't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game pass games won't work: I can't seem to run Gears 5 or The Outer Worlds, any help would be greatly appreciated. Whenever I run them I get this error code. "Location of exe... File system error (-1069586941)" When I try to download Gears of War 4 I get this error too: Something unexpected...
  9. Game pass games won't work

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Game pass games won't work: I can't seem to run Gears 5 or The Outer Worlds, any help would be greatly appreciated. Whenever I run them I get this error code. "Location of exe... File system error (-1069586941)" When I try to download Gears of War 4 I get this error too: Something unexpected...
  10. UAC Off and needs to be but store and edge won't work

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC Off and needs to be but store and edge won't work: We have to turn off the UAC because of a old software package we use but this stops us being able to use the store and edge due to the cannot be used on the built in admin account. Anyone know a way around this. Or a better way of doing this Also as our group policy are...