Windows 10: UAC popups even when uac is disabled

Discus and support UAC popups even when uac is disabled in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; As always the first thing i do on a windows installation is disable that damn UAC, i don't need windows to add another popup "are you sure you want to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ch3vr0n, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Ch3vr0n Win User

UAC popups even when uac is disabled

As always the first thing i do on a windows installation is disable that damn UAC, i don't need windows to add another popup "are you sure you want to run this" when i myself click on an executable to run it. Now, for some weird reason on Windows 10, even with uac disabled it still pops up when you want to create folder in the root of the boot drive, program files,... why's this happening and how can i stop it. That behavior didn't happen on win7 and it's pretty damn annoying.

Oh and if this is the wrong section, please move. Couldn't figure out if i should post it here, under user accounts or virtualization section.

:)

Ch3vr0n, Aug 4, 2016

2. Problems with UAC programs on Windows 10

I recently upgraded windows 10 and it had been working fine until a few days ago when I noticed that I could not open any files or programs that required administrator access (I am the only user on the pc and my account is an administrator) I would simply
    not get any UAC pop-up at all (I did not change any UAC settings). I am also getting errors when I attempt to open some system programs such as task manager, I get an error saying that there is no program associated with this file.

I have tried creating a new account to see if it persists but I cannot as this requires me to say yes to a UAC popup which never pops up, I cannot enable true admin as again to open the command prompt as an admin requires me to yes to a UAC popup, this is
    the same with trying to change the UAC setting in either the control panel or by using the registry editor. This also means I cannot install any programs or open certain programs that require a UAC response. I have even tried changing my sound scheme to no
    sounds just on the chance that the sound file associated with the UAC prompt was missing and was causing this issue but that did not work, I don't really know where to go from here without doing a clean install, thanks for any help.

RyanClark1231, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Jenik1024 Win User
    UAC dialog turns off Num Lock

Hi Preeti,

thank you for your reply. I have tried booting into the safe mode and found out that I cannot test the issue there since there is no UAC dialog in safe mode enabled.

I was testing if further in normal mode and found out that:

• The problem disappears when I redice the UAC dialog settings from level 3 (dark screen + dialog) to level 2 (dialog only)
    • The problem does not reappear immediately after resetting the UAC to level 3: NumLock works correctly even with dark screen UAC dialogs until first restart. Then again the UAC dialog silently turns off NumLock
    So not a solution, but a workaround is to disable the dark screen for UAC dialog (level 2 on the UAC slider).

Jenik1024, Aug 4, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 4, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Unlike Windows 7, UAC cannot be completely disabled from the GUI in Windows 10. It can be done with a registry setting (which I will not mention) but this is not recommended. By design none of the modern Apps will work and there are other issues as well. Windows 10 was not designed to work this way.

UAC is a security measure. By default all applications you run will inherit your rights. If you have a full time admin account (UAC disabled) the programs you run will also have those rights. If you happen to accidentally run malicious software (and this is very hard to prevent) then it will be able to do whatever it wishes, no questions asked. With UAC enabled applications normally run with the rights of a limited account. That is often enough to stop malicious software.

UAC is a compromise between security and convenience but I think a reasonable one. Security always has it's price, an not just with computers.

LMiller7, Aug 4, 2016
  6. Ch3vr0n Win User
    I do have it set to "never notify", i don't use any of the "apps". I don't mind it being active at some level i just want to stop those popups. Right now, it still notifies even though it's set to "never notify". Get what i mean?

Ch3vr0n, Aug 4, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    Never notify silently chooses "Yes" essentially. However, there are still some circumstances that still need notification because they can't be silently solved.

In your case, the problem is that the folder is owned by TrustedInstaller, and thus cannot automatically give you access. You can add your account to the security of the folder if you want to remove the popup, but doing so opens you up to a lot of potential problems.

While YOU may not need an "are you sure" when you click on something, what happens when a malicious program tries to do it? You won't be notified. UAC is not there to protect you from yourself, it's there to protect you from malware.

Mystere, Aug 5, 2016
  8. Ch3vr0n Win User

guess i'll have to live with it then. I can easily do the "take ownership" thing, but that's overkill and as you say, security is paramount

Ch3vr0n, Aug 5, 2016
  9. Mystere Win User
    DO NOT TAKE OWNERSHIP. That will break your system, and cause the start menu and other tools to stop working. You can add permissions to it, but don't take ownership of the root drive, or the Program Files or the ProgramData directories.

Mystere, Aug 5, 2016
  10. I guess then you are talking about file permissions, not UAC?

TairikuOkami, Aug 5, 2016
  11. Ch3vr0n Win User
    @Mystere don't worry i won't. I only take control of specific files or eg a subdirectory i made UNDER program files, not program files itself *Smile. Aint that stupid *Smile
    @TairikuOkami (what a nickname lol, hard to type) My message is slightly different. For example. I create a new folder under program files (x86) (the "Folder" button under Right click => new => Folder has a shield next to it), then try to delete it, bam comes the popup "you need administrator priviledges to delete this folder"... That's just 1 example, so pretty sure it's UAC kicking in one way or another.

For info i'm the sole user of this pc and as such administrator.

Ch3vr0n, Aug 8, 2016
  12. You are right, I just wanted to point out, that file operations are somewhat different, but back to your question.

You can disable UAC completely, but it will also disable store apps, calc and such but no prompts and no shield.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableLUA" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

TairikuOkami, Aug 8, 2016
  13. Ch3vr0n Win User

nah, i'll have to live with it. There's maybe one or two apps i use (xbox accesoires for my controller, and calc) and don't want to loose access to them. Damn microsoft *Tongue

Ch3vr0n, Aug 8, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. UAC popups even when uac is disabled - Similar Threads - UAC popups uac

2. UAC

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC: How to prevent windows from asking admin user name and password to play this game in my child account?I already disable UAC. Please help. If no way to prevent this from appear, i had to remove family safety....
  3. UAC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC: How to prevent windows from asking admin user name and password to play this game in my child account?I already disable UAC. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uac/3789167d-62e0-44ed-8f3b-1f5758b180e2
  4. Disable UAC using powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable UAC using powershell: Hi team, I have a script that runs via task scheduler for the script to run it has to open powershell as adminso the issue is when the script runs during the schedule, there is a popup that wants the user to click ok to open powershell as adminis there a script that i can add...
  5. Disabling UAC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling UAC: I just disabled UAC because “Rockstar Games Launcher” always gave me a notification about making changes to the pc and I always had to accept it. It got kinda annoying because it showed always when I launched GTA V. I disabled the UAC completely but now I’m kinda scared that...
  6. Disable UAC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable UAC: How do I log in as administrator on my personal laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-uac/a491df47-4ce9-4534-aeee-5be6de4c1b37
  7. DISABLE UAC WIN 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    DISABLE UAC WIN 10: How to disable/enable UAC using the register https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-uac-win-10/220cfc17-999b-48d5-a7b2-350811242250
  8. UAC keeps disabling

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC keeps disabling: Why UAC keeps disabling? I ran AV scan, sfc, tried to delete EnableLUA key. This is 4th forum that I ask, so PLEASE HELP! 126659
  9. UAC Popup window for Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    UAC Popup window for Microsoft Store: Hi, I wondered if it possible to enable UAC for Microsoft Store. I want users in my organization to access the store and click Install, but will have to enter Administrative privilege. I did a test - i logged in with a simple user and i managed to download Instagram app....
  10. Disable UAC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable UAC: With the earlier builds, I had UAC disabled in the registry( just as I do for my host machine Windows 8.0 Pro) and everything worked fine. It was in your sister forum eightforums tutorial that I learned how to disable UAC in Windows 8. I also use Start8 and Windowblinds on...