Windows 10: Unable to boot while upgrading to 1903

Discus and support Unable to boot while upgrading to 1903 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 1 I have tried to install the 1903 Win10 (Home) update on my PC. After a while it said that a restart was needed so I did that. It then failed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JasonKaiserSmith, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Unable to boot while upgrading to 1903

I have tried to install the 1903 Win10 (Home) update on my PC. After a while it said that a restart was needed so I did that. It then failed to complete the set-up process and I boot the PC.

During boot the windows logo appears, then is replaced by a black screen with a spinning icon. This basically stays forever (I left it for several hours). Although I get the occasional indication of disk activity (once every 2 seconds or so), the PC appears to be doing nothing. It is running very quietly and not generating any noise or heat.

I tried booting from a Win10 installation USB into the advanced recovery options, but initial nothing here works. I just got errors.

It does not find any recovery partition. System restore says "you must specify which installation to restore" (but I have no options) Start-up repair says "could not repair your PC" Uninstall feature updates says "We ran into a problem"

Via command prompt them sfc /scannow shows no errors bootrec.exe /fixmbr says "completed sucessfully" bootrec.exe /fixboot says "access denied" bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd shows me an option [1] c:\windows I say "Y" and then it says "The requested system device cannot be found"

Eventually (I don't know how) the system restore option worked. I assume after running the bootsec.exe commands another time that they done something, but I don't know for sure.

So the PC is now restored to the old version. But I am stuck not being able to upgrade and this is recommended by my motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte) to fix other issues I have with the MB.

My PC specs are:

be quiet! 600W System Power B9 80+ BULK
    Intel Core i9 9900K
    Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
    DDR4 32GB PC 3000 CL16 G.Skill KIT (2x16GB) 32GSXWB Sniper X
    SSD 1TB Samsung M.2 PCI-E NVMe 970 EVO Basic retail
    Palit GTX1070 Dual 8GB

:)

JasonKaiserSmith, Aug 30, 2019

2. Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Local profile issue after upgrading to 1903

Hi roblinb

Not listed in the Known.

Known issues for Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903

As far as Wifi any chance it is Qualcom inside USB adapter, if Qualcom then yes known issue.

I might create another user (Local) and when if try again see if this issue occurs on both users.

Would also suggest you run the first 5 steps in this tutorial to see if you have any corruption with current build.

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Darshan J Win User

Unable to boot while upgrading to 1903

Windows update failed and unable to boot

Hi Chrissy,

To assist you better help us with the information below.

• Have you made any recent software/hardware changes to the computer?
    • Do you get any error message or code when trying to boot into the computer?
    When installing updates it puts message “Do not shut down your machine”, if you unplug the AC adapter or turn off the computer Chances are:

• Windows resuming the installation process next time you shutdown.
    • A non-vital program file becomes corrupted and causes some feature of the OS to become unusable and crash.
    As an initial step I would suggest you to unplug all external devices if connected and then try to boot the computer by plugging in the AC adapter and check if you are able to boot the computer.

If the computer boots make sure all the updates are installed and then you can login to user Interface.

If you still not able to unable to get the in Windows Bootable environment I Would suggest you contact your manufacturer.

Get back to us if your require more help on this query.

Thank you.

Darshan J, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Unable to boot while upgrading to 1903

1. Unable to boot while upgrading to 1903 - Similar Threads - Unable boot while

2. Unable to upgrade boot drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to upgrade boot drive.: I am trying to upgrade my boot drive from a 1gig HDD to a 2gig M.2 SSD and am running into issues.Screen shots attached..Using Backup and recover I am trying to make a disk image. It comes up with an error on the drive- when I run repair then re run BU it does the same - so I...
  3. Unable to upgrade boot drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to upgrade boot drive.: I am trying to upgrade my boot drive from a 1gig HDD to a 2gig M.2 SSD and am running into issues.Screen shots attached..Using Backup and recover I am trying to make a disk image. It comes up with an error on the drive- when I run repair then re run BU it does the same - so I...
  4. Unable to upgrade boot drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 updates 1903 crashed while updating now unable to boot in Windows

Windows 10 updates 1903 crashed while updating now unable to boot in Windows: Hi everybody, So my issue is weird, I started by looking on the forum for similar issues, but I could find anything related. Nothing recent in 2019-2020 Yesterday I was watching a movie on my computer, then I received a message advising that my computer will log out to...
  6. upgrading to 1903

upgrading to 1903: I get error code 0xc1900201 ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-to-1903/50167646-e11e-4d20-a525-9daf485b3182
  7. Upgrade to 1903

Upgrade to 1903: How do I upgrade from 1803 to 1903? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-1903/d8c035bb-789c-49ba-a4c1-48a11f1367a5
  8. Upgrade to 1903?

Upgrade to 1903?: Is worth upgrading to 1903 from 1809? Just got the notification from Windows Update. How has it improved compared to 1809? 137442
  9. Upgrading to 1903

Upgrading to 1903: I have been running 1803 for several months now with no problems. I have my "delay" set to 180 days so that I don't receive a buggy update. I keep up-to-date on the various updates and felt confident that 1903 was OK to update to. I changed my "delay" to 90 days and...
  10. NTFS file system error while booting, unable to upgrade from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS file system error while booting, unable to upgrade from USB: Hi, I've been having issues with an NTFS file system error for the past few days. The error has occurred continuously during the start-up. -Automatic repair is unable to repair the pc. -Resetting the PC just takes me back to the Troubleshoot menu with no apparent changes....