Windows 10: Unable to open any programs in Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to open any programs in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everyone. Recently, I have encountered troubles with Windows 10. I am unable to open any programs, including Chrome or Edge. I can't even Power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by triplezero, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Unable to open any programs in Windows 10

Hi everyone.

Recently, I have encountered troubles with Windows 10. I am unable to open any programs, including Chrome or Edge. I can't even Power Down.

I have tried to reset my PC, but only comes up with "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes have been made."

I don't have any instillation media as I upgraded last year from Windows 8.1, so I am quite stuck here. This is especially unfortunate as I have purchased a new graphics card (RX 480) and was hoping to install it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake.

:)

triplezero, Jul 9, 2016

2. Unable to open any windows program

Hi Charlotte,

A corrupted Windows system file is a possible cause for the Windows apps to malfunction. It would be great if you can tell us more about your concern. Kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you notice any system setting changes prior to the issue?
    • Have you installed the latest updates for Windows 10?
    • What is the current OS Build of your Windows 10 laptop? Click the
      Start button, type
      About your PC, press Enter, and then scroll down to
      Windows specifications to find this information.

As initial troubleshooting, we recommend running the troubleshooter for Windows apps. The automated troubleshooter will scan and fix your PC for any issues found with your apps. You can get the troubleshooter from this

page

Should the issue continue even after running the automated troubleshooter, you can run the
    DISM command-line tool and the SFC tool to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. You'll need administrator permission to run these tools. You can find the instructions on how to run the tools
    from this support article.

Please respond back with the results.

Devlin Sco, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Unable to open any windows program

Hiya,

I've had quite a few issues with my laptop since I got it last June, such as the CPU running at 100% a lot and being slow and unresponsive. It's an Asus X441S with Windows 10.

Yesterday evening, I was studying in my uni library and it crashed. I rebooted it and it seemed fine but about 40 minutes later, it crashed again. Now I can't open any of the Windows programs that were pre-installed on my laptop. This includes everything
    on the taskbar (volume, battery, wifi etc.), the start menu, task manager - pretty much all of the basic programs on my laptop. The weird thing is, everything that I've installed on my laptop myself still works - Google Chrome, Norton, Adobe Acrobat Reader
    DC, Office, Spotify etc.

I have no idea what to do because everything I try requires opening a program such as Task Manager, which I can't do! No error messages or anything come up, it just does nothing and acts as if I haven't tried to open anything!

Help!

CharlotteE97, Jul 9, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Unable to open any programs in Windows 10

1. Create a new local account, make sure to change it to administrator type, log in with the new account and see if the problem remains:
    User Account - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Account Type - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

2. Create a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD directly with the Media Creation Tool or from an ISO file downloaded from Microsoft:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

3. If the problem is not fixed with a new user account in step 1, then use the installation disc/drive you create in step 2 to do an in-place upgrade repair install:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

4. If all else fails, you can use the installation media created in step 2 to do a clean install of Windows 10:
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  5. Thank you very much. I will try this immediately.

triplezero, Jul 9, 2016
  6. Okay, I tried to make a new account but I am unable to logon with it. I have limited internet access, so I am unable to download the ISO. Do you have any other suggestions?

triplezero, Jul 9, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Get a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD from a friend? Download the ISO file from a public internet connection/computer?

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  8. Unable to open any programs in Windows 10

I found a Windows 7 Disk and decided just to install that. Works like a charm. Thanks for all of your help anyway. *Smile

triplezero, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to open any programs in Windows 10

1. Unable to open any programs in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable open programs

2. Unable to open a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to open a program: Hello, I am having problems with running as administrator. I am the only user on my computer. Its a admin account. When I go to run a programany program, when I right click, it doesn't do anything. Nothing happens. What do i do? [Original Title: Administrator]...
  3. unable to open any app in windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to open any app in windows: hii, i am unable to open any windows app on my pc first i thought that it is due to that i have not update latest world but i have update to latest version of windows 10 but if i open any app [ for example if i open windows store to download any app but the store and shows...
  4. Windows Unable to open any program.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Unable to open any program.: My computer gets stuck whenever i try to open any program Even command prompt. The computer becomes unresponsive and freezes for few minutes . I can't execute any operation on it . Can i restore my laptop the way it was few days before ? Hope there's any other way to fix it...
  5. Can't open any programs in Windows 10

Can't open any programs in Windows 10: A few days ago, I suddenly couldn't open any programs on my PC. I did a reinstall of Windows 10 and it seemed to be fine until the next day where it was the same as before. Anyone have an idea of what could potentially be the problem? I'm able to open everything in safe mode...
  6. Unable to Open any programs using the Start button in Windows server 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Open any programs using the Start button in Windows server 2016: Hello All, I had windows 2012 standard and upgraded to Server 2016 about 4 months ago. This is a Virtual Machine created on ESXI host . All works well when an Administrator logs in via RDP , but when another Administrator Added to Administrator group logs in , the 2nd...
  7. Windows 10 Is not opens any Program

Windows 10 Is not opens any Program: Dear Folks, When I working on Windows 10 Its not open any program https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-is-not-opens-any-program/f942090f-994b-410f-bf30-3a7912254a9a
  8. Unable to download any programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to download any programs: Hello, Every time I attempt to download something, whether it is the Adobe update or a game, my computer screen flashes black and eventually freezes, forcing me to manually shut down my PC. I have tried shutting off the firewall, have used multiple security and computer...
  9. Windows 10, unable to open any picture format with any program

Windows 10, unable to open any picture format with any program: Hi For couple months I have this issue, that I can't open any picture on my computer. All the default picture viewers aren't working and I also tried the Irfanview. The only thing that work sometimes is Paint. Everytime I try to open a picture it says: "The app didn't...
  10. Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager: The other day my computer was refusing to open some pop-up windows in Google Chrome so I restarted it. It hung in the restart window with the spinning circle for a significant period of time so I was forced to shut down. Upon restarting, I get to my desktop and my cursor...