Windows 10: unable to open windows settings or turn on windows defender

Discus and support unable to open windows settings or turn on windows defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently tried to install a mod for a game i was playing and well, it was a virus. I deleted yet i still can't turn on windows defender and when i... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Chase.RY, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Chase.RY Win User

unable to open windows settings or turn on windows defender

I recently tried to install a mod for a game i was playing and well, it was a virus. I deleted yet i still can't turn on windows defender and when i try to open any settings it closes the window. I resorted to a full system restart and yet again, closed it right away. I can't open chrome and the laptop has been really slow. I don't know what to do and any help would be great. Thanks.

:)

Chase.RY, Feb 19, 2019

2. Unable to turn off Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are unable to turn off windows defender.

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Feb 19, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    Let your Windows 8 Defender update itself automatically.

P4-630, Feb 19, 2019
  4. unable to open windows settings or turn on windows defender

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused

I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0.

I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender Free) started having some issues (they gui didn't display correctly) so I decided to uninstall it and just go with Windows Defender.

The problem is I can't get it to work... I get a notification in the Action Center saying to turn on the virus protection, when I click it, Windows Defender goes green(PC status: protected, Real time protection: on) for a second and then goes yellow again (PC status: Windows Defender is OFF, Real time protection: Handled by another AV program) and I get the notification again. If instead of clicking the notification I click "Turn on" on the Windows Defender gui, Windows opens another window, "Apps & Features" in settings, like asking me to uninstall the other, nonexistent AV.

Now, I've tried a lot of things...

• Of course, I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender. I used the official tool provided by them for this. There is nothing in the registry by bitdefender nor any file or folder by that name in my PC.

• I have tried every step listed here.

• I have tried to install another AV (Avast) and the uninstall it to see if this would "reset" somehow windows defender. (Nope.)

• I have run MBAM and nothing pops-up

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is noDisableAntiSpyware key. But in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is a DisableAntiSpyware key and its value is 0. (Not sure if this is important but wanted to give you the info.)

Anyone has any idea? Right now I'm thinking of downloading another AV or just go without any and be done with it. *Huh

ThunderRoad, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

unable to open windows settings or turn on windows defender

1. unable to open windows settings or turn on windows defender - Similar Threads - unable open settings

2. Unable to turn on windows defender.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to turn on windows defender.: Hi,I am unable to turn on windows defender. When I try to open up using control panel it shows the following message: The windows security center service cannot be started. Please help me with this as my device is vulnerable....
  3. Unable to turn on windows defender.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to turn on windows defender.: Hi,I am unable to turn on windows defender. When I try to open up using control panel it shows the following message: The windows security center service cannot be started. Please help me with this as my device is vulnerable....
  4. Unable Turn on the Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable Turn on the Windows Defender: Hi, Yesterday while I was downloading patch for CoD World at war, A filerar was downloaded and extracted itself without my permission. It has blocked the option of turning on real time protection, sending sample to microsoft and I can't enable it from Notification centreAnd...
  5. Unable to open Windows Defender

Unable to open Windows Defender: Can anyone help me? When I try to open windows defender from the start menu on windows 11 it doesn't open. When I go from the settings and try to open it, it goes on the Microsoft storeIt says:"You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link". I don't know why this...
  6. Unable to turn on Windows Defender

Unable to turn on Windows Defender: I always get a prompt in my laptop to turn on anti-virus protection. When I click on the notification to turn on the Windows Defender, I always received this message. Please help. Thanks.[ATTACH]...
  7. Unable to turn windows defender on

Unable to turn windows defender on: I am unable to turn back real time protection,cloud-delivered protection and Automatic sample submission. I also completely remove norton antivirus from my laptop. I also checked sfc /scannow command on cmd....
  8. Unable to turn on windows defender.

Unable to turn on windows defender.: Clicking turn on brings me to this but it is not enabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unable-to-turn-on-windows-defender/588bfb7d-81e8-4323-ac6d-784c6eaebe55
  9. Unable to Turn on Windows Defender

Unable to Turn on Windows Defender: how can i resolve this problem..?[ATTACH] [Original Title: windows depender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/unable-to-turn-on-windows-defender/65c947e1-4a69-470b-b792-490aaad2fe11
  10. Unable to open Windows Defender

Unable to open Windows Defender: While I was away someone tried to make changes to my system. I am trying to enable Defender, but I receive the attached message; [img] I am the administrator. 70360

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant open windows defender settings

2. windows defender cant open

3. unable to open windows defender windows 10

4. unable to open windows defender,
  5. unable to access windows defender or avast,
  6. unable to open windows defender in laptop,
  7. i cant open windows defender settings,
  8. open windows defender does not work on windows 2016 window settings,
  9. windows 10 unable to open defender settings