Windows 10: Unable to process FAT32

Discus and support Unable to process FAT32 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, My laptop is running windows 10.0.16299.248 and suddenly it is unable to read FAT32 partitions. Plugging in a USB flash drive formatted with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gnulab, Mar 18, 2018.

1. gnulab Win User

Unable to process FAT32

Hi,

My laptop is running windows 10.0.16299.248 and suddenly it is unable to read FAT32 partitions.

Plugging in a USB flash drive formatted with FAT32 file system, the system will complain of it needs to be formatted.

Creating a FAT32 partition in the laptop hard drive the format will not complete, with error message "process cannot be completed".

How can I remedy this? Any thoughts besides reinstalling my system?

Thank you
    HEnry

:)

gnulab, Mar 18, 2018

2. Windows 10 not booting

It seems I am unable to install Windows in a separate partition too. It says format efi as fat32. So I formatted all as fat32 but now it says failed to create partitions check log files . Ps setup booted through gpt usb

Gwenmillett, Mar 18, 2018
  3. Unable to copy files from FAT32 external drive (0x80004005)

I lost that CD, but I copied the files using a copying software (Teracopy, and unstoppable copy) and it did get copied, but there were damaged sectors, althought not too much.

One last question:

How can I change my new hard-drive to Ntfs, and should it be formatted?

Thanks alot.

Abdulsalam Albuhaiya, Mar 18, 2018
  4. Unable to process FAT32

Have you tried another usb drive? To make sure the usb is formatted correctly perform the following. Why do you want to use fat32 instead of ntfs?

Run the following command from command prompt

diskpart
    List disk
    select disk 1 (very Important to ensure you select the correct # of your USB drive)
    clean
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs quick (change ntfs to fat32 if needed)
    assign

If you need more help to determine the correct drive to select, then after running list disk command take a picture of your screen and upload

or you can do the following

Right click on the top bar command window
    Left click on Edit then Select Alloesnt
    Right click on the top bar again
    Left click on edit then copy
    paste into your reply

Techjourney, Mar 21, 2018
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Also be aware that Microsoft utilities will not format a partition as FAT32 if it is larger then 32 GB. Third party utilities can do this.

LMiller7, Mar 21, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    One other issue not mentioned much is if Windows creates a FAT32 partition on a 64GB or larger drive it may not see the remaining unallocated space. I use the free bootable GPARTED LiveCD to work with partitioning or a Linux LiveDVD that contains GPARTED, have formatted a 500GB External USB drive as FAT32 which Win10 can read.

Berton, Mar 21, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Gee Berton that sounds like it would make a great tutorial: "Format a Large External USB Drive as FAT32 for Windows 10" If you'd like to do this together, having now done one, I could pitch in and help. Great topic!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 21, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Unable to process FAT32

The very first thing to try is simply to click the Power button in Start and select Restart. This fixes lots of things that have apparently stopped working properly.

If you still have problems after that, work through...
    sfc /scannow - Run SFC Command in Windows 10
    Dism's RestoreHealth - Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

...and if they can't fix it, an in-place repair upgrade will reinstall Windows while keeping all your installed apps and documents.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

9. lx07 Win User
    I think it is a bad idea. Apart from other considerations (security, journaling etc), with FAT32, as the volume size grows so does your cluster size and you waste more and more space (NTFS is 4KB for everything by default up until 16TB: Default cluster size for NTFS, FAT, and exFAT).

This is how cluster size is affected for FAT32: PHP Code: Partition Size ----- Cluster Size ------ Number of Disk Sectors (512 bytes/sector)

<260MB ------------- 512 bytes --------- 1
    260MB - 8GB ------- 4KB --------------- 8
    8GB - 16GB ------ 8KB --------------- 16
    16GB - 32GB ------ 16KB -------------- 32
    > 32GB ------------- 32KB -------------- 64
    According to here the book Using Windows 98 Second Edition says anywhere from 33% to 66% of the space on a FAT32 partition can be wasted depending on how many small files are present." Drives are bigger now than 20 years ago so it would be even worse.

It might be a good idea for a disk shared between different operating systems holding only massive files (movies for example) that didn't need any security. Otherwise there are better solutions.

I think MS picked a good (possibly too large) cutoff at 32GB with XP.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to process FAT32

1. Unable to process FAT32 - Similar Threads - Unable process FAT32

2. Unable to access 1TB External fat32 drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access 1TB External fat32 drive in Windows 10: I am unable to access my external drive in Windows 10. I am able to use it fine on an old Vista laptop. When I plug it in to the Win10 machine it recognizes the drive and assigns it a drive letter but shows no more information on the drive "IE: drive size, properties, files,...
  3. Unable to format Fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to format Fat32: As the subject header eays, I'm unable to format to FAT32.The only choices I have are NTFS & exFAT.Has Microsoft removed the choice to format in FAT16/32 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-format-fat32/22183b77-8591-4731-88da-8c0570ba3f1e
  4. Unable to boot windows10 using my USB (FAT32)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to boot windows10 using my USB (FAT32): The past several days, I've been trying toboot up a new Win10 version from a 16gb flash drive formatted in Fat32 with the Windows Media Tool on my fresh new pc, from my mac laptop. 1st time, it says "Missing operating system", so Ive come up with a guy's video trying to...
  5. Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available

in Windows 10 Support
    Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available: I have an external HDD formatted as FAT32 on 1000GB. I vaguely remember following an article to trick format FAT32 with this large capacity. How to Format USB Drives Larger Than 32GB With FAT32 on Windows Now am trying to move files off the external HDD but getting errors:...
  6. Unable to access Fat32 Drives after update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to access Fat32 Drives after update.: Before the computer updated, I could use them just fine. After the update, I cant view them or even format a drive in fat32. Keeps prompting to reformat the drive and shows it is RAW format, which it isnt. The drives work in other windows laptops that didn't update. They...
  7. FAT32 Format

FAT32 Format: Since the FAT32 is not an option anymore and there's still tons of devices that only accept FAT32. How can I format memory card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fat32-format/3a899269-48e2-474f-a190-b2c4b5bdf18b
  8. fat32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    fat32: is that a good format for a USB for downloading win10 media tool https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fat32/a3b94e7e-b103-4cb7-a11b-00db6a495363
  9. NTFS or FAT32

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NTFS or FAT32: Hello. I have a copy of bootable Windows 10 on my 8gb flashdrive. The ISO was probably 4.7gb or 4.8gb and was from the April Update. I decided to delete it and download the October Update to use as a copy. I used Rufus but since the update has 5gb+ of files, and Rufus...
  10. FAT32 not opening.

FAT32 not opening.: I've just tried my new Film Scanner. It downloads to an SD card. Windows 10 says the card is empty yet properties report 138kB used on the card in a FAT32 file. Anybody got a clue as to how to open this FAT32?...