Windows 10: Unable to reset windows

Discus and support Unable to reset windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Everytime i click reset windows it restarts does the load (48% etc) then it says 'unable to update' and the reset fails and just goes back to how my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by grimmrace, Aug 17, 2015.

1. grimmrace Win User

Unable to reset windows

Everytime i click reset windows it restarts does the load (48% etc) then it says 'unable to update' and the reset fails and just goes back to how my laptop was before.

Unable to reset windows [​IMG]

Can anyone help ?

:)

grimmrace, Aug 17, 2015
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Windows 10 - Unable to Reset - Fails to Reset

Hi Kelsey,

The error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process error" means that the software hive (ren software software.001) is corrupted. To resolve the error, you need to
    create a media creation tool since you don't have an installation disc. Once you're done, boot your computer from installation media,
    then access again the Command Prompt (Administrator) to run the commands again.

Please post back with the result for further assistance.

Riel Alc, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Unable to Reset - Fails to Reset

I have attempted to follow the instructions listed here:

System fails to Reset after a certain percentage of process done (i.e. about 30%), saying undoing changes..

In the command prompt, I received an error message for the 3rd line, "ren software software.001". It says "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I have no idea what that means, but I'm thinking it may why my system reset is not working. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

The 2nd method does not apply to me; I have a digital license for Windows 10, not a disc, which I feel is that that 2nd method is for.

KelseyDawnx, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Unable to reset windows

Brink, Aug 18, 2015
  5. pcuaron Win User
    First of all, thank you for all the support and the tutorials. This is the most helpful resource for Windows 10 overall in the internet.

Is there any way to do this if you're on the Windows Insider Fast ring? Fast ring ISOs aren't available. My Computer isn't working correctly, and besides it has done 7->8->8.1->every fast ring build. I wouldn't mind installing 10240 over 10547 if it helps. Is it possible to do a repair install using an older build?

Thanks!

pcuaron, Oct 2, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to reset windows

1. Unable to reset windows - Similar Threads - Unable reset

2. unable to reset pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    unable to reset pin: I have to use my pin. I get told that my pin is incorrect it is the right pin and is not recognised. I am told to reset my pin but in order to reset my pin I need to put in my pin. The system does not accept my correct pin....
  3. unable to reset pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to reset pin: I have to use my pin. I get told that my pin is incorrect it is the right pin and is not recognised. I am told to reset my pin but in order to reset my pin I need to put in my pin. The system does not accept my correct pin....
  4. unable to reset pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset: Hi there. Four days ago, running a Full Scan, Windows Defender caught a trojan, Script/Wacatac.H!ml, which was apparently hanging out in Mozilla/Firefox. But then the Security "Protection History" said "Remediation Incomplete" and listed four folders of...
  6. Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset

Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset: Hi there. Four days ago, running a Full Scan, Windows Defender caught a trojan, Script/Wacatac.H!ml, which was apparently hanging out in Mozilla/Firefox. But then the Security "Protection History" said "Remediation Incomplete" and listed four folders of...
  7. Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset: Currently unable to do anything with my windows, it's fully locked up but I can still get into my programs and play games.I have already tried literally everything availablehere are some things I'm experience:occasionally a stack buffer overflow warning in settings and...
  9. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset: Currently unable to do anything with my windows, it's fully locked up but I can still get into my programs and play games.I have already tried literally everything availablehere are some things I'm experience:occasionally a stack buffer overflow warning in settings and...
  10. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade