Windows 10: Unable to turn on real-time protection for Windows Defender

Discus and support Unable to turn on real-time protection for Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently decided to uninstall all my anti-virus software and wanted to revert to using Windows Defender as my main anti-virus. After uninstalling, I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by 518iqq, May 4, 2020.

1. 518iqq Win User

Unable to turn on real-time protection for Windows Defender

I recently decided to uninstall all my anti-virus software and wanted to revert to using Windows Defender as my main anti-virus. After uninstalling, I went ahead and open Windows Defender and saw that my real-time protection was disabled. I went into settings and when I was at the Real-time protection section, I couldn't turn it on and there was a text in yellow background saying "For your protection, some settings are managed by your security administrator". I don't know if it was my previous anti-virus software that did this, or I have malware on my computer. Does anyone know how to solve this?

:)

518iqq, May 4, 2020

2. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused

I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0.

I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender Free) started having some issues (they gui didn't display correctly) so I decided to uninstall it and just go with Windows Defender.

The problem is I can't get it to work... I get a notification in the Action Center saying to turn on the virus protection, when I click it, Windows Defender goes green(PC status: protected, Real time protection: on) for a second and then goes yellow again (PC status: Windows Defender is OFF, Real time protection: Handled by another AV program) and I get the notification again. If instead of clicking the notification I click "Turn on" on the Windows Defender gui, Windows opens another window, "Apps & Features" in settings, like asking me to uninstall the other, nonexistent AV.

Now, I've tried a lot of things...

• Of course, I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender. I used the official tool provided by them for this. There is nothing in the registry by bitdefender nor any file or folder by that name in my PC.

• I have tried every step listed here.

• I have tried to install another AV (Avast) and the uninstall it to see if this would "reset" somehow windows defender. (Nope.)

• I have run MBAM and nothing pops-up

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is noDisableAntiSpyware key. But in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is a DisableAntiSpyware key and its value is 0. (Not sure if this is important but wanted to give you the info.)

Anyone has any idea? Right now I'm thinking of downloading another AV or just go without any and be done with it. *Huh

ThunderRoad, May 4, 2020
  3. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

I'm unable to turn on Windows Defender real-time protection. It says "Handled by another AV program". But I have no AV program installed. Earlier I had bit-defender AV but I uninstalled it (Even I used bit-defender uninstaller tool). Still it shows the error. Please suggest me a solution. Is there any kind of tool which detects the AV or removes any left over AV files?
    I'm currently on Windows 10 (version 1607) build 14372
    Attaching the screenshot of windows defender.
    Thank you Unable to turn on real-time protection for Windows Defender :)

hypervisor, May 4, 2020
  4. simrick Win User

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Once you have Bit Defender completely uninstalled, try option #2 here:
    Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, May 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to turn on real-time protection for Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Unable turn real

2. Unable to turn on real time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to turn on real time protection: I may have executed a virus.Now I can’t turn on real time protection because defender says I have another antivirus even though I only use defender. What can I do?...
  3. Unable to turn on real time protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to turn on real time protection: I may have executed a virus.Now I can’t turn on real time protection because defender says I have another antivirus even though I only use defender. What can I do?...
  4. Unable to turn on Real time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to turn on Real time protection: Hello, i cant turn on "Real time protection" in windows defender i tried all solutions except reseting my pc. If you could help me it would mean a lot to me. [Original Title: Virus and Malware]...
  5. Defender & cant turn on real time protection

Defender & cant turn on real time protection: Hello In Virus Threat & protection settings Real Time protection & Cloud Delivered Protection is off with a message that this is managed by your administrator (I am the admin) I think I have the residual bits of of a malware or virus scanner free program I tried a few...
  6. Windows Defender not turning on real time protection

Windows Defender not turning on real time protection: I cant seem to solve the problem even after following all the steps given in the Microsoft support page. I haven't seen any other antivirus softwares installed and still can't have access to my windows defender. Any solutions?...
  7. Windows Defender not turning on real time protection

Windows Defender not turning on real time protection: I cant seem to solve the problem even after following all the steps given in the Microsoft support page. I haven't seen any other antivirus softwares installed and still can't have access to my windows defender. Any solutions?...
  8. Unable to to Disable Defender Real Time Protection

Unable to to Disable Defender Real Time Protection: Hi I installed the April 2018 Win 10 Update today which has resulted in my CPU constantly working 15% higher due to the Antimalware Service Executable. I’ve tried to disable Defender as suggested by Microsoft but its instruction was to go to Settings / Update & Security /...
  9. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection: I'm unable to turn on Windows Defender real-time protection. It says "Handled by another AV program". But I have no AV program installed. Earlier I had bit-defender AV but I uninstalled it (Even I used bit-defender uninstaller tool). Still it shows the error. Please suggest...
  10. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection: Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0. I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot turn on real time protection