Windows 10: Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates

Discus and support Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since I allowed a new set of Windows 10 updates to execute and restart a day or so ago, I have found that I can no longer use the search facility... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SamRick, Jul 12, 2017.

1. SamRick Win User

Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates

Ever since I allowed a new set of Windows 10 updates to execute and restart a day or so ago, I have found that I can no longer use the search facility (Win-S), and search for specific items in Settings (Win -I), because as I type on those windows, no text appears. *Mad

I can type into any other UI that I have used since then - including this one (Google Chrome).

Does anyone have any ideas why this should have happened? I'm guessing that one of the updates changed a setting somewhere, but I haven't the slightest idea where to look. *cry

I have tried looking for a means to manage Cortana and/or the search function, but I cannot find it - it must be there somewhere! *Mad. My frustration isn't helped by the fact that I cannot search for help!! *Think

Help!

:)

SamRick, Jul 12, 2017
  2. JohnFoth Win User

touchpad randomly brings up app search popup from start bar

Recently installed W10 and have an issue with the search app function (Start typing to search for apps, files and settings) randomly popping up when browsing. Ive tried disabling Cortana and removing the '3 finger flick' in touchpad settings but I cant
    seem to prevent the popup. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JohnFoth, Jul 12, 2017
  3. After Click Cortana and Search Setting nothing happened, can not click Search the Web and Windows, and unable to turn on Cortana

Please Help me

too much problem when i upgrade to w10

After Click Cortana and Search Setting nothing happened

Can not click Search the Web and Windows on dekstop below

unable to turn on Cortana even all language and location are in United States

RianSeptiadi, Jul 12, 2017
  4. Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates

Hi SamRick.

Could you please verify your Build number. It appears in specs as Build 10586 which is quite old and maybe be related to issue.

There is a Trouble Shooter for "Search" that may help. In older versions of W10 it is within Control Panel. On V1703 it is a heading with Update and security settings.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 12, 2017
  5. SamRick Win User
    Hi Ken,

Winver reports v 1607, OS build 14393.1480. From memory, I don't believe that has changed recently. I know that the Creator's update will be coming along soon, but it hasn't hit me yet. Is that v 1703?

I should update my specs here!

I'll try to find the Search troubleshooter, and post here if anything significant turns up.

Thanks
    Sam

SamRick, Jul 12, 2017
  6. Yes Sam, 1703 is Creators.

If you open Control Panel under the Green heading "Security and Maintenance" one of the sub headings is Troubleshoot common problems.

Ken

7. SamRick Win User
    Hi again Ken,

No joy with the troubleshooter functions, I'm afraid. In the section for troubleshooting, 3 of the 4 categories didn't look relevant - (old) Programs, Hardware and Sound, Network and Internet.

Only 'Fix problems with Windows Update' and 'Run maintenance tasks' under 'System and Security' seemed to be possibilities, and I tried both, at admin status, but they reported nothing amiss. 'Improve Power Usage', the only other option, didn't seem relevant.

Nada, zilch, nothing at all.

Have you any more inspirations?
    Sam

SamRick, Jul 12, 2017
  8. Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates

Sorry, go back in. Look over on left, top of column, should be a heading View All.

9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I have the same build, no problems with search.

First check search in file explorer. Let's eliminate search indexing issues- I doubt it's that that's the problem. If you like you can go to Indexing Options (Windows key + X, Control Panel, Indexing Options) and add an item to an indexed location and check the number increases.

If that's working, troubleshooting Windows search is not the issue.

Please try creating a new user for test purposes, then check the symptoms you describe. If you have no problems when logged in as the new user, then the problem is related to your current user profile.

If you have the same problems, then try the same in Safe Mode and after a clean boot.

If you still have the same problems, then the problem seems related to the newer Win 10 features and a repair is called for.

dalchina, Jul 13, 2017
  10. SamRick Win User
    Thank you, Caledon Ken and Dalchina, for giving me your time to help me sort this out.

Following on from Ken's additional post about getting more out of the Windows troubleshooter functions, I opened 'View All', and selected 'Windows Store Apps' to examine. Attached are two screen clips of the results;
    1) 'Windows Store cache may be damaged', after resetting and opening the Store app, in which window, by the way, I could not type in the search box, as described earlier.
    2) Another confirmation of the same.

This suggests to me that somewhere around the working of this cache may be where the problem lies. I don't know, but I wonder if the other functions of Windows that aren't working properly are related to the Windows Store in some way - 'Start' and 'Search'. Can either of you confirm that?

Clearly, at least as the first step, this cache needs cleaning up. Have you any ideas as to how to do that? I'd really like to avoid having to do a Windows reinstall if I can, for very obvious reasons.

Thanks
    Sam

SamRick, Jul 13, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jul 13, 2017
  12. SamRick Win User
    Thanks Dalchina.
    I opened the tutorial, and followed the simple option; start 'Store service', and run WSreset.exe to clear the cache.
    That appeared to run successfully - no errors reported - but the problem remains.

As I mentioned initially, I cannot type from the keyboard directly into the 'Start' window (to search for an app), or into Settings, or any other Store-derived app.

If it's significant - I don't know - I have found that if I type the text I want to enter in a Notepad window, then select and copy that, I can paste that copied text into those windows I cannot type directly in, with a right-click/Paste from the mouse. Somehow, it appears that the keyboard buffer is being locked off from those apps, but only those apps - all other executable programs - non-Store - work as normal.

Does this observation offer any clues? If the Store cache is involved in the input to Start and Store apps, and remains corrupted, or something else is amiss, not being sufficiently knowledgeable about the internals of Windows, it seems a puzzle to me how it is that text can be input from the copy/paste buffer.

Next I will try testing this phenomenon in a new account and while in Safe mode; as you suggest, that may help to tie down where the anomaly is located.

SamRick, Jul 16, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Yep, that's as I expected, as I said. You could run the same troubleshooter anyway just to see if that's cleared that report.

So please work thru my #7.

dalchina, Jul 16, 2017
  14. I also have the same problem and thanks to this video I found the solution. It reminded me of ctfmon.exe, which I removed from startup. However, I still don't need it and also remember there's a related task that I've always disabled as I haven't need it since forever until recent Windows 10 builds: Task Scheduler > \Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonit. My issue is fixed by re-enabling this task.

Soyabeaner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates - Similar Threads - Unable type W10

2. W10 search bar : cant' type in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 search bar : cant' type in: Hey there,Windows10 v22H2 updated.For 2 days I can't type in W10 search bar even though my keyboard is new. On the other hand when I type any search inside W10 settings or folder it works.I am the only user/admin of this PC.I ran :• chkdsk,• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  3. W10 search bar : cant' type in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 search bar : cant' type in: Hey there,Windows10 v22H2 updated.For 2 days I can't type in W10 search bar even though my keyboard is new. On the other hand when I type any search inside W10 settings or folder it works.I am the only user/admin of this PC.I ran :• chkdsk,• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  4. W10 search bar : cant' type in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can no longer sacn since recent W10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can no longer sacn since recent W10 update: Since installing a recent W10 update, several printers different brands and models will no longer scan. How do we correct this or reverse what was done ?...
  6. Unable to set reminders in Cortana since May 20 upadte

in Cortana
    Unable to set reminders in Cortana since May 20 upadte: Hello team, Since the May update, I am unable to set reminders in Cortana. It worked perfectly fine earlier. I am not sure if the update is the reason for this issue. Now, Lets say I ask Cortana to "Remind me to call Harry at 6PM" instead of setting the reminder, She...
  7. Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot type in Start Menu, Cortana Search, Settings, etc.: Hello. This has been an issue for me for a while now, and I've gotten sick of ignoring it. As the title states, I'm unable to type in the start menu, cortana, or anywhere in Settings/System info. However, I CAN type in Windows Explorer, cmd, run, and nearly everything else....
  8. Photos App unable to scroll since W10 update

Photos App unable to scroll since W10 update: Following the MS update KB4532693 yesterday, I am no longer to able to scroll through my photos through the 'Photos' viewer nor can I click through them. This happened before after an update but I cannot remember how I fixed it previously. It must have been fairly easy as I...
  9. not able to type in Cortana search bar

in Cortana
    not able to type in Cortana search bar: I am unable to enter any text into the Cortana Search bar. When I see if its having a problem in the task manager it's not even appearing which makes me think its not loading on start. I am able to track down the windows search function and have tried to rest that but it is...
  10. Cortana freezes when typing in a search

Cortana freezes when typing in a search: I'm having a fun problem on my shiny new Win 10 machine. Cortana freezes when I start to type in the search box. Is there 1) a way to actually fix this? I've looked all over web and I don't see anything definitive or 2) is there a way to replace Cortana? I'm not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to type in cortana