Windows 10: Unable to unpin a particular item from taskbar in Windows 10 ver 1607

Discus and support Unable to unpin a particular item from taskbar in Windows 10 ver 1607 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just upgraded to the anniversary edition of Windows 10 (ver 1607). I pinned Google Chrome to the task bar but then have decided I'd like to unpin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mbratch, Aug 17, 2016.

1. mbratch Win User

Unable to unpin a particular item from taskbar in Windows 10 ver 1607

I just upgraded to the anniversary edition of Windows 10 (ver 1607).

I pinned Google Chrome to the task bar but then have decided I'd like to unpin it. However, right-clicking the Chrome icon on the taskbar does nothing. I think once I saw the mouse cursor flash an hourglass briefly. But outside of that, nothing happens. All of the other program icons on the taskbar are well-behaved, as right-clicking them immediately gives a pop-up menu where there's an unpin option. Only the Google Chrome icon is not showing any pop-up at all.

I've tried rebooting my system, but it hasn't fixed the issue.

Any ideas why this is happening, and more importantly, how do I fix it? I'd like to find a way to unpin Google Chrome from the taskbar.

:)

mbratch, Aug 17, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

task bar

Hi Larry, right click the item and choose 'Unpin from Taskbar'

DaveM121, Aug 17, 2016
  3. unpinning from taskbar

I've read that right clicking on an icon then choosing unpin can unpin items from the taskbar, but I can't right click. what else can I do?

theoriginalrocknrobin, Aug 17, 2016
  4. Dropbox Win User

Hello,

Can you try it from the start menu itself, right click on the chrome icon > more > unpin from taskbar.

Dropbox, Aug 17, 2016
  5. mbratch Win User
    Just tried that and same result: Chrome doesn't give a popup menu, but all the other program icons do.

mbratch, Aug 17, 2016
  6. Dropbox Win User
    Hmm, try to delete Google Chrome and re-install it?

Dropbox, Aug 17, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
  8. mbratch Win User

mbratch, Aug 17, 2016
  9. Dropbox Win User
    Seems Chrome is corrupted or something, try to re-install it, best to uninstall with Revo Uninstaller first.

Dropbox, Aug 17, 2016
  10. mbratch Win User
    I'll try that. I don't think Chrome is corrupted. The context menu is the responsibility of Windows, not Chrome, so it's probably at least one registry entry that's gotten munged. Revo will indeed probably be necessary to correct it. I may try a simple uninstall first...

mbratch, Aug 17, 2016
  11. mbratch Win User
    Tried uninstalling Chrome with a couple of different uninstaller apps and cleaning associated registry entries, but that didn't fix the issue.

What I tried, which fixed it, was to remove the folders under C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\ but keep bookmarks and all the other files directly under that folder. There was probably one wayward user configuration files in there somewhere, but this was a sufficient solution.

mbratch, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to unpin a particular item from taskbar in Windows 10 ver 1607 - Similar Threads - Unable unpin particular

2. Windows unpins apps from the taskbar

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows unpins apps from the taskbar: Hello,I would like to ask, if there is someone who has a problem with pinned application to taskbar. When I download app from Microsoft Store like Messenger or WhatsApp, I pin it to taskbar. However, when I run the app, it unpins and in Start Menu it shows something like...
  3. How to prevent Pinning or Unpinning of Taskbar items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent Pinning or Unpinning of Taskbar items in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to enable or disable the unpinning […] This article How to prevent Pinning or Unpinning of Taskbar items in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. Unable to Update KB4494440 for Windows 10 32 bit Ver 1607

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Update KB4494440 for Windows 10 32 bit Ver 1607: I'm unable to to Update KB4494440 for Windows 10 32 bit Ver 1607. Upon reboot the patch will rollback with error code 0x80070005. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-update-kb4494440-for-windows-10-32-bit/8dd1df77-542c-4566-96a8-d8ec32921a04
  5. Windows 10 Upgrade from ver 1607 to 1803

Windows 10 Upgrade from ver 1607 to 1803: Update keeps failing, I have done a full factory restore as I suspect a Windows update to my system on Oct 14 crashed it! Blue screen and would not come out of recovery loop! Not a happy camper! The Win Upgrade to 1803 will not install, today tried running it and trouble...
  6. Windows 10 -1607 and taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 -1607 and taskbar: in Windows 10 -1607, when task bar settings is modified for small icons, time display goes off. Is there any way to get time display with small icons taskbar. 59186
  7. How to recover from a Windows 10 ver. 1607

How to recover from a Windows 10 ver. 1607: I just tried to update Windows 10, on the first boot windows crashed. When I restarted I got the message no operating system found. Luckley (I thought) I created a recovery USB drive before updating. First I booted from that drive and tried to repair start-up--didn't work. I...
  8. 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10: How to: 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10 How to "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" Apps in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default....
  9. 'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10: How to: 'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10 [img] Information You can pin to Start any apps, contacts (People app), folders, drives, homegroup, library, network, and OneDrive so you can open them quickly, and see updates on live tiles for modern apps...
  10. Can't unpin items from the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin items from the taskbar: I can pin items to the taskbar but when I right click on an item I can't unpin. Only had this problem with 10240. 8606