Windows 10: Unable to update MS updates

Discus and support Unable to update MS updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a host of updates dating back to August 2017 that have failed updating to my computer. I am particularly interested in getting the update for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RonBin79, Oct 19, 2017.

1. RonBin79 Win User

Unable to update MS updates

I have a host of updates dating back to August 2017 that have failed updating to my computer. I am particularly interested in getting the update for KRACK which was sent out by MS on 19th October 2017. I have been trying for the last three hours to update all the missing one's without any success. Can anyone please advise me on what to do please?

Please see screen shots attached.

:)

RonBin79, Oct 19, 2017

2. windows 10 mail app attachments are not visible

Not fixed in my UK build. Unable to uninstall the app and unable to update it in the store. Unbelievable that MS can rollout email without attachments

WantedWindowsGotTurkey, Oct 19, 2017
  3. Failed to install Windows Updates - it happened several times

Update on this is looking like humble pie. Just found a DirectX setting in my router had changed and was blocking MS updates. Changed setting back and all is now updated. Sham that the MS tech support were unable to find that one though.

MalcolmGee, Oct 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

What is repeatedly failing is the build upgrade from 1607 to 1703. It is interesting that Windows updates are working (for 1607).

As it is trying so repeatedly and failing, Isuggest you temporarily disable Windows update or simply disconnect from the internet.

Basics:
    Please post a screenshot of your partitions using Minitool Partition Wizard. Make sure the text in all columns is fully visible.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

1. Check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

2. Now check your file system:
    From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

From an admin command or powershell prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and report the result. Do not proceed if not ok.

The next step would be to examine the Windows update logs.
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    The panther logs are often hidden. Configure file explorer so that you can find the hidden files.
    Locate these logs, zip them and post them:
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log

Trying to find out why it failed from the Windows update logs is not straightforward. Here are some guides.
    Generating the Log Files for Troubleshooting Windows Updates for Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from Windows IT Pro
    Windows 10, WindowsUpdate.log and how to view it with PowerShell or Tracefmt.exe Charles Allen’s Blog
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/read-w...-in-windows-10

Notes on attempting the upgrades- when ready after fixing anything required:
    Download the iso (unless you already have that) and prepare to attempt the upgrade manually.
    Disable your AV if any.
    Make sure you have nothing installed modifying your GUI
    Disconnect any unnecessary peripherals.
    Use a wired rather than a wireless mouse
    Do a clean boot
    Make sure you have at least, say, 20Gb free on C: - Windows will create Windows.old - about as big as Windows.
    Make sure you have at least 500Mb unallocated space on your system disk - could need more if you use legacy BIOS not UEFI.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Unable to update MS updates - Similar Threads - Unable update updates

2. MS Store not working and Unable to install Daily Updates

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    MS Store not working and Unable to install Daily Updates: 2 questions: #1. My Microsoft Store won't load or operate. I have from run the reset option by Hitting Windows logo + R, with no success. Ran Trouble Shooting. 1st message "Temporary Internet Files Location has Changed", followed by "Hanging or crashing apps - Not Fixed....
  3. MS Store not working and Unable to install Daily Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Store not working and Unable to install Daily Updates: 2 questions: #1. My Microsoft Store won't load or operate. I have from run the reset option by Hitting Windows logo + R, with no success. Ran Trouble Shooting. 1st message "Temporary Internet Files Location has Changed", followed by "Hanging or crashing apps - Not Fixed....
  4. MS Store not working and Unable to install Daily Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to update MS Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to update MS Windows 10: I have been trying to update Windows 10 for around 6 months now. I have spent many hours over many days attempting everything I can find information on, including using the update assistant, installing offline from an ISO, renaming installation folders.. I am getting end of...
  6. MS update

MS update: How do I uninstall the recent update? It has messed-up some aspects of my computer and I can't fix it. With the update, it prevents my wife from being able to log-in to her Facebook account. Says email Live mail not recognized. Also, I'm unable to send email to my Spectrum...
  7. MS Updates Catalog Not Updating ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MS Updates Catalog Not Updating ?: Hello,Once a day I visit the "MS Update Catalog" if there is / are new updates for my system. (Auto update is turned off).I enter in the search box 1903 x64 which is my system. For almost two weeks there were no new updates (even today 16-Jul).From your site, in the "News"...
  8. Unable to download or update MS Store apps

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to download or update MS Store apps: Downloads and updates no longer work. In my start menu, there are multiple apps that are updating but the progress bar never moves. When I press an app in the store to look at it, it takes a long time to respond and often doesn't load. One of the updates is for the Microsoft...
  9. Unable to download from MS Store or get Updates.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to download from MS Store or get Updates.: Unable to download from MS Store or get Updates. I have followed so many suggestions. Services, WSReset.exe, Turning AV off/on, Firewall On/Off, Deleting files and folders, Reset my router, ect... I have the exact same problem on my Main PC and Laptop. If anyone has seen a...
  10. MS Updates

MS Updates: Whenever MS (Forces against my will, like rape, c'mon MS I've invested with you for all my adult life! We're practically married! Be better than this!) installs an update, it messes up my computer screen printer connection etc. Many echo this sentiment. How do you deal...