Windows 10: Unusual Message at Startup

Discus and support Unusual Message at Startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since creators update was installed a couple of days ago, I've been seeing this message on the screen during boot up, "Scanning and repairing drive ,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mr Ed, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Unusual Message at Startup

Since creators update was installed a couple of days ago, I've been seeing this message on the screen during boot up, "Scanning and repairing drive , (followed by a bunch of things in parentheses), then ending with 100%" Then the machine finishes booting up. This happens all the time when powering up. Any idea why this message appears? And, is it important? Thanks.

:)

Mr Ed, Jun 19, 2017

2. Message at Startup

I am getting a RunDLL message on the desktop at startup. "There was a problem starting C:\Program. The specified module could not be found." I have run scan, no threats found. This is Windows 10. The message started appearing after last update.

Realtime Gal, Jun 19, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 19, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Right click on your main drive, Properties.
    Click the Tools tab.
    Press the Check button.
    Press Scan drive.

pepanee, Jun 19, 2017
  5. Mr Ed Win User
    I did that and was notified that the scan wasn't necessary because the drive is OK. Anyhow, that message on startup isn't causing a problem. Just wondering why it's there.

Mr Ed, Jun 19, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    You right, it's strange to see odd new things that don't look familiar. If I were you, I would also be curious to what that could be.
    See if you can take a picture of it with an external device (such as a smart phone/digital camera) and uploading it to here. That would help out narrow down what it could be.

pepanee, Jun 19, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, this implies the dirty bit is set on that volume, which triggers chkdsk on reboot. Windows thinks there is some file system corruption and has set this bit.
    Fsutil dirty

At an admin command prompt try
    fsutil dirty query c:

If it's set, chkdsk will run (to check the integrity of your file system).
    Of course, the idea is that running chkdsk will clear it.

Try this
    Post the result of running chkdsk at boot which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

and inspect the report generated to see what it says about your disk.

Also, check your physical disk:
    Download install and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial)
    Post a screenshot of its GUI.
    to post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

Note: resetting the dirty bit manually is possible, but there is no 'Windows' way to do this. You have to use a hex editor - plenty written up on the internet. For C: this cannot be done on line- you need to use a boot disk such as Kyhi's (available from the top of the Software and Apps section here).

It's possible someone has written a utility to do this of course.

dalchina, Jun 19, 2017
  8. Unusual Message at Startup

cyberrufus, Jun 19, 2017
  9. Mr Ed Win User
    At an admin command prompt try
    fsutil dirty query c:

Thanks I did that and got message: volume C is NOT dirty. I'll see if I can photograph the message at next startup. It doesn't last very long, perhaps 5 seconds or so.

Mr Ed, Jun 19, 2017
  10. Mr Ed Win User
    Mr Ed, Jun 20, 2017
  11. Mr Ed Win User
    Now, this is also strange. Previously, I was always able to reach command prompt by right clicking on the start button. Now there is no dialogue for both command prompt and command prompt admin. Is it time to reset the computer or just leave well enough alone? After all, my machine is operating normally despite these glitches. Advice?

Mr Ed, Jun 20, 2017
  12. Eagle51 Win User
    Mr. Ed,
    MS replaced it with PowerShell ... Should be able to change it back ... Settings / Personalization / Taskbar / Replace Command Prompt with PowerShell in Menu bla, bla ... turn it off.

Eagle51, Jun 20, 2017
  13. essenbe Win User

Try this. Right click an empty space on the Desktop, select Personalization, then click Taskbar from the left menu and turn off 'Replace command prompt with Power Shell'.

Unusual Message at Startup [​IMG]

essenbe, Jun 20, 2017
  14. Mr Ed Win User
    Thanks, Eagle. I'm not too familiar with power shell, but I'll take your suggestion. BTW, I just reset my computer and reinstalled my programs. I'm still getting that mysterious message at start-up. I'll try to photograph it in the near future so I can post it here.

Mr Ed, Jun 20, 2017
  15. Mr Ed Win User
    Eureka! That worked, Essenbe. Thanks for the advice....Ed

Mr Ed, Jun 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Unusual Message at Startup - Similar Threads - Unusual Message Startup

2. startup error message and slow startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    startup error message and slow startup: this message appears as an error every time i start my device i dont know what to do or try as i feel ill mess it up even moreUsage: fsutil behavior query <option><options> allowExtChar bugcheckOnCorrupt defaultNtfsTier disable8dot3 [<Volume Path>] disableCompression...
  3. "Microsoft account unusual sign-in activity" message................

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Microsoft account unusual sign-in activity" message................: Hi,I got the message bellow found on my Outlook spam folder.Is it a legit message or a spam?How could I identify it?Thank you!=========================================================================Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>To:Mon...
  4. "Microsoft account unusual sign-in activity" message................

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Microsoft account unusual sign-in activity" message................: Hi,I got the message bellow found on my Outlook spam folder.Is it a legit message or a spam?How could I identify it?Thank you!=========================================================================Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>To:Mon...
  5. "Microsoft account unusual sign-in activity" message................

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Repeated text messages for unusual sign-in activity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Repeated text messages for unusual sign-in activity: I started getting these text messages from random 5-digit numbers about a month ago. They all have the same message:Microsoft: Unusual sign-in for *********76. Review at https://aka.ms.alcaAt first I thought this was spam, but when I logged into my microsoft account I found...
  7. Unusual Message from Outlook 365

in Browsers and Email
    Unusual Message from Outlook 365: i am running Office 365's Outlook under W10 build 1909 and have just begun to get the following message from Outlook. [img] Is there a way to not have it displayed when the condition has occurred? 162939
  8. Unusual Error On Startup!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unusual Error On Startup!: Whenever I turn on my computer, I get this error. It has been appearing for almost two weeks now, and since it first appeared every file that I open that is affiliated with some app, for .mp4 files open with vlc player, whenever I open the file, it takes several minutes for...
  9. startup message

in Windows 10 Customization
    startup message: When starting windows I get the following message, C:\\Windows\Systems32\Log:DLA.dll not found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-message/ae6b8647-141b-4dc2-b2e9-5a55c26ad0a8
  10. Upon regular update an unusual message appeared....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upon regular update an unusual message appeared....: upon regular Windows Updating I noticed a message in red which reads "some settings are managed by your organisation"....I have no idea what this means....I have no organisation....? any ideas...