Windows 10: Unwanted switching of keyboard layout to US QWERTY

Discus and support Unwanted switching of keyboard layout to US QWERTY in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am using Japanese "Microsoft IME" as my only keyboard layout, but I had to change a registry entry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kinsey Andrea Nietzsche, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Unwanted switching of keyboard layout to US QWERTY

I am using Japanese "Microsoft IME" as my only keyboard layout, but I had to change a registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000411 to make it use a different underlying layout, other than the US QWERTY, namely a customized DVORAK. There is just no other way how to do it, as it is not possible to create such a customized Japanese layout in Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator as far as I know. For most of the cases this works flawlessly, BUT when entering a Wi-Fi password, typing into Start search, typing into Microsoft Notes or typing into Microsoft Edge the "A" setting of the layout, which is supposed to be the DVORAK "switches" without my consent to QWERTY. The keyboard layout indicator appears as if nothing happened. I own three different instances of Windows 10 where it is configured like this, but strangely only one where it works as I would expect and the layout does not switch on its own, so I definitely know it's possible to achieve. I have no idea why it does not work on the other two.

:)

Kinsey Andrea Nietzsche, Feb 14, 2020

2. Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it).

Now when I switch to French I find that I am often in another layout which I believe to be the Canadian French layout, although I am not completely sure. It is similar to the Canadian multilingual with the most notable difference being that the è and the / are swapped round. I have never chosen the Canadian French keyboard in my preferences and it isn't listed there now. Canadian Multilingual is what is listed.

What's even more annoying is that the layout seems to switch randomly between Canadian Multilingual and Canadian French while I am typing, so I am never really sure what is going to happen when I try to type an è.

How can I get my keyboard to consistently be Canadian Multilingual when I am typing in French?

ricecrispies, Feb 14, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

You could see if you can use the override default input option, assuming this is available (I think it isn't if you only have one keyboard installed- which would be logical). This worked in a similar case where the user had an unwanted keyboard layout in use.

(Note- appearance may differ if you are on build 1803)

Set Default Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Unwanted switching of keyboard layout to US QWERTY

Wrong keyboard layout in login page after update to 1607

Hi,

Since the issue reoccurred after updating to anniversary update, I suggest you to reconfigure the QWERTY keyboard layout and check if the same issue persists. This is to check if the issue is with Windows 10 1607 update.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to configure the keyboard layout:

• Open Settings and click on Time and Language.
    • Click on Region and Language.
    • Add the Country and click on add a language and select the language of your choice.
    • This will take time to download the pack.
    • Once this is done, Press Windows key + Space and press Space key to choose the keyboard layout.
    Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Unwanted switching of keyboard layout to US QWERTY

1. Unwanted switching of keyboard layout to US QWERTY - Similar Threads - Unwanted switching keyboard

2. additional unwanted keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    additional unwanted keyboard layouts: i have keyboard layouts, that i've never added to my system. To get rid of them i've changed my system language to german, deleted all other languages in setting except german, but still there're two english layouts left en-US & en-UK. how can i delete them? i don't need to...
  3. Unwanted keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted keyboard layout: HiMy laptop shows an extra keyboard layout [German Germany Albanian] and I cannont remove it. It doesn't appear in "Preffered Langauges" List.Any Ideas to remove it?Thanks in adcance.** I cannot insert pictures here, you can show this capture on Drive....
  4. Unwanted keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted keyboard layout: HiMy laptop shows an extra keyboard layout [German Germany Albanian] and I cannont remove it. It doesn't appear in "Preffered Langauges" List.Any Ideas to remove it?Thanks in adcance.** I cannot insert pictures here, you can show this capture on Drive....
  5. Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard: On my Surface Book 2, when I have the US International QWERTY region keyboard installed, the bottom row of keys has recently stopped working Z, X,C, V, B, N, M. I tried changing to the UK QWERTY region keyboard and these same bottom row keys work. I want to use the US...
  6. Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard: On my Surface Book 2, when I have the US International QWERTY region keyboard installed, the bottom row of keys has recently stopped working Z, X,C, V, B, N, M. I tried changing to the UK QWERTY region keyboard and these same bottom row keys work. I want to use the US...
  7. Keyboard layout switching keeps adding US English to the list

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard layout switching keeps adding US English to the list: Okay I live in the UK but I use a German-Russian bilingual keyboard because I do. I have it all set to United Kingdom and then in the preferred languages I have it on German and Russian only because you can write in English perfectly fine with the German layout. Problem is...
  8. Own or modify existing keyboard layout - German layout with QWERTY

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Own or modify existing keyboard layout - German layout with QWERTY: Hi Guys, i need German keyboard layout, but not their default QWERTZ but QWERTY .... I need to user german layout (special characters), but after 20 years using QWERTY im not able to switch to QWERTZ. It makes me sick. Thanks for tips submitted by...
  9. US-International keyboard QWERTY

in Windows 10 Customization
    US-International keyboard QWERTY: I am in the process of setting up a new laptop. On my old one, I have the US-International keyboard installed, which makes it easy for me to type in French and other foreign languages. I am unable to find the setup as described in various responses in the message boards - I...
  10. Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout: When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it). Now when I switch...