Windows 10: Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning

Discus and support Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everybody The new Fall Creator update brings the much awaited update bandwidth management but I have a question and I could not find an answer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tony359, Jan 28, 2018.

1. tony359 Win User

Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning

Hi everybody

The new Fall Creator update brings the much awaited update bandwidth management but I have a question and I could not find an answer online.
    The control panel allows you to set a percentage of the bandwidth - percentage of what? How does Windows know my internet speed? I am concerned it just uses the network card speed instead.

Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning [​IMG]

However in the activity monitor section it also shows an "average download speed (user initiated)" which suggests two things
    1. Windows actually knows the speed of the internet - which creates an interesting scenario: say my broadband is 50Mbit, Windows knows that and it is also told to use 50% of that. That night that my internet slows down to 20Mbit, will Windows try to use 25Mbit of it??

2. When updates are initiated by the user, they are not throttled down.

Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning [​IMG]

Thanks for your help.
    Tony

:)

tony359, Jan 28, 2018

2. How are the windows update bandwith limitations calculated?

It is the percentage of the broadband speed, not the LAN Speed.

If you have lets says a 40Mbps connection and you have allocated 50 percent of the bandwidth, Windows update would use 20Mbps to download the updates.

I hope that helps!

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 28, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows Process taking up too much of network usage.

The three processes you circled use a combined total of 1.1 Mbps of network bandwidth. Since most modern network adapters provide at least 100 Mbps of bandwidth, those processes are using just a tiny percentage of the total.

BulldogXX, Jan 28, 2018
  4. Plankton Win User

That's a new one on me.....where is this setting?

Plankton, Jan 28, 2018
  5. tony359 Win User
    tony359, Jan 28, 2018
  6. Plankton Win User
    Thanks.....from what I gather it's to help users that are on metered connections or if your are worried about data usage from downloads from other PC's. If I understand it correctly....I just had a quick glance at the info.

That said, I have that option turned off so it doesn't apply to me.

Plankton, Jan 28, 2018
  7. tony359 Win User
    Windows update takes 100% of my bandwidth - 55Mbit download. I cannot do ANYTHING ELSE when the PC is updating. I had to set a manual update option via the group policies. This new feature is welcome but it is not clear how those percentages work.

I understand there are clearer options on the group policies (actual KBs) but was just wondering what those percentages are.

tony359, Jan 28, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

I suppose it is QoS

Unless of course MS have used the word "bandwidth" incorrectly and "I'll use 50% of your bandwidth" means "I'll upload 50% of what I download" like a torrent client.

Windows cannot possibly tell (without repeatedly polling connection speed) that I've moved from sitting on my router to sitting on my balcony and my bandwidth (via WiFi) has therefore dropped by 90%.

I don't know the answer but it is a very interesting question. Hopefully someone more technical than me will explain.

9. cereberus Win User
    Given it is rather unclear what the percentages mean, I guess you could just use trial and error e.g. set the percentage to a low figure eg 10% and if that goes to much one way or the other, adjust up or down accordingly.

In most cases, I guess people want to minimise impact of downloads on performance so setting it low initially would be the logical thing to do, pragmatically accepting updates will download more slowly.

cereberus, Jan 28, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    The question is what does 100% of bandwidth mean? 56k? 100Mbps? Who knows.

This is from 2003 QoS Tools and Settings: Quality of Service (QoS)

It seems nowhere is it defined (or at least I can't find it) how 100% of bandwidth is calculated.

That makes it an interesting question.

11. Plankton Win User
    Uncheck that box for limiting your bandwidth, then turn off "Allow downloads from other PC's" and check to see how your bandwidth works/reacts.

Plankton, Jan 28, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    Did you read the question?

13. Plankton Win User

Yes.....as there is no real world explanation of "WHY" and "WHAT" it means.....in the mean time it's best just to turn all that off.

Plankton, Jan 28, 2018
  14. tony359 Win User
    I know what happens if I disable everything: Windows will use all available bandwidth. On several occasions I really could not do basic stuff like browsing. Over the past few months I discovered the group policies and I stopped automatic updates from there - I have reported the issue back to MS.
    I am a geek and I was able to find out why sometimes I cannot buy a train ticket online but a normal person won't be able to do that - so it is nice to see Microsoft are working on the issue.
    Indeed I can select 10% and see what happens but I was wondering if someone already had an answer for what seems like an obvious issue!

Maybe Windows update tests the bandwidth when starting a session and then reduces the download speed to what is selected on the configuration? Still, it feels an approach prone to issues but I understand MS does want to make Windows more accessible to people who don't know what "KB" means.

tony359, Jan 28, 2018
  15. Plankton Win User
    What type of internet connection do you have? What is your DL/UL speeds.....what are you paying for? Are you using a wifi connection?

Plankton, Jan 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning - Similar Threads - Update bandwidth optimisation

2. Does lowering the percentage of bandwidth help internet or performance?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does lowering the percentage of bandwidth help internet or performance?: I see a lot of people limiting their bandwidth percentage way lower to 5%. They say that it will help their internet and performance. Is this true?...
  3. Does lowering the percentage of bandwidth help internet or performance?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does lowering the percentage of bandwidth help internet or performance?: I see a lot of people limiting their bandwidth percentage way lower to 5%. They say that it will help their internet and performance. Is this true?...
  4. Delivery Optimisation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Delivery Optimisation: I checked the update and security section of my PC and noticed a category called device optimisation is enabled, I am concerned about the security risk of this setting, is it safe to keep enabled or should I disable it? I'm not sure if this could allow Microsoft related apps...
  5. windows optimisation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows optimisation: something just pops and closes when i start the pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-optimisation/5b6a5ae7-b682-4e5e-9b38-cc691d8a0d68
  6. Disc Optimisation & Defragment will not update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disc Optimisation & Defragment will not update: I transferred my system disk from a small SSD to a larger HDD. Then updated Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. But the Disk Optimiser and Defragment sscreen has not updated . So I still have the SSD recorded as C drive and I cannot analyse or optimise the new system disk. Seems to...
  7. delivery optimisation

in Windows 10 Customization
    delivery optimisation: delivery optimisation runs in background even though I have turned off and consuming my internet data https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delivery-optimisation/7e230af3-68d2-47d4-80e4-33d396709140
  8. bandwidth meaning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bandwidth meaning: when i go to a website i see Bandwidth Limit Exceeded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bandwidth-meaning/2d5b3bb5-813c-4be6-b84b-4ff7aeefde61
  9. optimising hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    optimising hdd: The pc with the old hdd would appear to be 15% fragmented so I set it to optimise and it goes through the motions of analysing, relocating and consolidating for several passes, finishes and tells me that it is 15% fragmented. I have repeated this procedure several times...
  10. Memory Optimiser

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Memory Optimiser: I have Windows 10 64 bit and use Office 2013 (32 bit). I have 16GB of RAM When running several workbooks, I often run out of resources. Are there any memory optimisers I can use or can someone advise me how to overcome this problem? Your assistance is most...