Windows 10: Update left me with no System Restore ability

Discus and support Update left me with no System Restore ability in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I cannot create a System Restore File/point. I have read instructions on setting the restore point but none are correct for 10. Screenshots [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Georgz, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Georgz Win User

Update left me with no System Restore ability

I cannot create a System Restore File/point. I have read instructions on setting the restore point but none are correct for 10.
    Screenshots

Update left me with no System Restore ability [​IMG]

Thank you for any help you could send my way-

:)

Georgz, Mar 1, 2016
  2. PetePorro Win User

Windows 10 updates keep turning off system restore thus deleting previous restore points!

Wait, did I read this right? We can't save system restore points any longer? I don't care if an old one drops off. Had a power failure, system moved all the front window icons into a pile on the left. I went and looked, "system restore set off".

Turned on, set a restore point.

Two days later, all the icons are piled on the left again. Look... no system restore points, it's turned off again. Repeated: turned on again, set manual restore point. This morning, no system restore points.

Someone just tell me, in plain English, has Microsoft removed the ability for any system restore points? How do I save the configuration which gets lost when there's a system lock up or power failure? HOW?

If the ability to do this function is disabled, why is that option still available in system settings?

PetePorro, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 May 2016 update

The update is KB3156421.

I have not set system restore points. I read the instructions and they exceeded my technical abilities.

CharlesBookman, Mar 1, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Private, Mar 1, 2016
  5. Georgz Win User
    I select local Disc (C), Right click, go to properties. I do not see "configure." What am I missing?

Georgz, Mar 1, 2016
  6. b1rd Win User
    Hi Georgz,

You had it in your first screen shot (See below)

Also, I understand that with some updates System Restores can become disabled (with to me too) so it's a good idea to make periodic checks.

b1rd, Mar 1, 2016
  7. Georgz Win User
    The option is not available

Georgz, Mar 1, 2016
  8. b1rd Win User

Not sure if this is why, but make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy service is running.

Click Start, type services.msc and press Enter.
    In the services window, search for Volume Shadow Copy and right click on it.
    Select Properties and under this window make sure the service is started and under startup type it is set to Automatic. Click Apply and OK.

b1rd, Mar 1, 2016
  9. Georgz Win User
    Thank you for the precise directions. It was indeed set to manual.

Georgz, Mar 1, 2016
  10. b1rd Win User
    Just to confirm that System Restore is working now? I know I indicated to set it to "automatic" which is what's recommended, however I have mine set to "manual' and it still works fine. I mainly wanted to be sure that yours was not disabled.

Thema:

1. Update left me with no System Restore ability - Similar Threads - Update left System

2. Update and system restore problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update and system restore problem: Sorry if this is a common problem I just looked for about a hour and didn't find a solution my laptop updated then I got bsod so I entered system repair and did a system restore which I made about 3 days ago now I cannot enter my password I just see date time any key causes a...
  3. Update and system restore problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update and system restore problem: Sorry if this is a common problem I just looked for about a hour and didn't find a solution my laptop updated then I got bsod so I entered system repair and did a system restore which I made about 3 days ago now I cannot enter my password I just see date time any key causes a...
  4. Internet disconnecting forcing me to system restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet disconnecting forcing me to system restore: I’m having this weird issue where my laptop will be connected to the Wifi but will not have internet. At first I thought it was my internet provider or the signal it’s giving off but all of my other devices are connected to it with no issues. So I tried using my phone’s...
  5. System restores asking me for the password.

in Windows 10 Customization
    System restores asking me for the password.: I used my Microsoft account password but as you can see the password is incorrect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restores-asking-me-for-the-password/10a2fc28-50a7-458d-9dcf-da960e4cda33
  6. System Restore after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore after update: I have entered my recovery key to "get going again" but cannot move from the screen. It appears stuck or frozen. Has anyone had this happen? I read where a lot of folks had trouble obtaining their recovery key, but in my case I am fortunate to have registered it already....
  7. Windows system restore left a corrupt search entry

in Cortana
    Windows system restore left a corrupt search entry: I used the windows restore point I created after a fresh install of windows 10 using the windows refresh tool to go back to the point right after I just installed all the updates for windows 10 2004. Prior to using the system restore feature I installed HP Support Assistant....
  8. Restore ability to create new folder on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore ability to create new folder on desktop: I can no longer create a new folder not just on desktop. Do I have to reinstall win 10 to make it work or is there another EASY way to do this? Thanks Cal...
  9. Windows update and system restore

Windows update and system restore: As typical the latest Windows 10 update messed up the touch screen on my HP. When I go into System restore it only gives me todays updates, but no previous update / restore points. I've had W10 updates for the past several days and now the touch screen is not working...
  10. *UPDATE ON SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS*

*UPDATE ON SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS*: A little bit of backstory: I downloaded a safe program bundled with a bunch of PuPs. Blind me didn't see the custom install feature. Anyways, because all the PuPs slowed down my PC by 25%, I wanted to make sure they were ALL GONE, so I preformed a system restore to a point...