Windows 10: Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues

Discus and support Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Greetings, I ran the update to bring my system up to version 1903 last night. As a result when windows starts I just get an empty screen - I do not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by carl pilkington, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues

Greetings,

I ran the update to bring my system up to version 1903 last night. As a result when windows starts I just get an empty screen - I do not see the start bar, I can not see any desktop icons, when I press the windows key nothing happens. I CAN access the task manager through control-alt-delete.

my system:
    Dell xps 15 9550
    windows 10 home 1903

thanks for any help!

:)

carl pilkington, Aug 4, 2019
  2. APoL0x Win User

Annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu in 1903

Hi, I've recently updated to 1903 from 1809 and now I've found an annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu that I didn't have before in 1809:

Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues [​IMG]

I can't move those tiles up like I had before. I've tried reseting Start Menu layout to default with a .reg file and I've tried solving Start Menu problems with the Microsoft Start Menu fixing tool. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

APoL0x, Aug 4, 2019
  3. Local profile issue after upgrading to 1903

Hi roblinb

Not listed in the Known.

Known issues for Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903

As far as Wifi any chance it is Qualcom inside USB adapter, if Qualcom then yes known issue.

I might create another user (Local) and when if try again see if this issue occurs on both users.

Would also suggest you run the first 5 steps in this tutorial to see if you have any corruption with current build.

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 4, 2019
  4. Darshan J Win User

Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues

Start menu not working

Hello Barry,

Please help us with the below information to help you better.

• Have you installed all the pending updates on your system?
    • Did you make any recent software/hardware changes to your computer?

As an initial troubleshooting step I would suggest you to install all the pending updates on your system and if you are using Microsoft account suggest you to sign out and sign in again and check if resolves the issue.

I suggest you to perform Start menu troubleshooter
    from the below article and check if it help in addressing your issue.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Darshan J, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues

1. Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues - Similar Threads - Update 1903 causes

2. 2004 update Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2004 update Start menu issue: Since updating to ver 2004, my start menu crashes when i select anything other then the pinned shortcuts. I have also noticed that the Win+v clipboard history tool no longer works, as well as the ablity to hit the Win key and start typing to search for something, it only...
  3. Start Menu not working (Build 1903)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu not working (Build 1903): Couple of days ago my start menu stopped opening. This is before start menu is pressed : https://imgur.com/a/8S7NLTv After start menu is pressed/Windows button is pressed (just the start menu greys as if it has opened) : https://imgur.com/a/Ff9p6pI If I start typing after...
  4. Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903): Hello! I'm encountering a bit of odd behavior when working with the Start Menu in Windows Server 1809, but I've verified the issue in Win10 1903 as well. All in all, it's a two part issue. Part one: Start layout width does not seem to be saved when using Export-StartLayout...
  5. Update to 1903 - Start Menu color can't be changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Update to 1903 - Start Menu color can't be changed: Greetings, After I installed the latest update (1903) my (full screen) start menu colour defaulted to black and can't be changed anymore. I’m able to change the colour under "personalize" and the colour changes everywhere - except my start menu. If I change the start menu...
  6. Update 1903 Start Menu Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Update 1903 Start Menu Issue: My computer updated automatically from Win 10 1803 to 1903 on 8/5/19. The first issue I found was a Onedrive app icon in the start menu that was not there prior to the update, I delete the desktop app long ago. When clicking the icon nothing happens, when right clicking the...
  7. Annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu in 1903

in Windows 10 Support
    Annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu in 1903: Hi, I've recently updated to 1903 from 1809 and now I've found an annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu that I didn't have before in 1809: [img] I can't move those tiles up like I had before. I've tried reseting Start Menu layout to default with a .reg file and I've...
  8. Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting: I'm on Win 10 Pro-64 bits (10.0, Build 17134) A few months ago, my Explorer (i.e. desktop) stopped starting automatically when booting Windows. I tried all I could find on the Web to fix, but I gave up as nothing proposed worked. So when I log in, I manually start the Task...
  9. Start Menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu issue: With the latest update, my start menu changed. Before the apps along the left side menu were under a Title tag "All Apps" but now all the apps are list under alphabet headings. Is there a way to reset the left menu to use the "All Apps" tag? I like the cleaner look. Rod 60273
  10. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu issue: I upgraded from Windows 7 Home. Somewhere along the line a Windows 8 start menu icon ended up on my desktop. I thought I would click on it and see what it did. It changed the start menu to a very cheap looking Windows 7 start menu. I liked the new Windows 10 start menu and...