Windows 10: Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another

Discus and support Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; We have a Windows 10 desktop that was homemade and originally had Windows 7. A few weeks ago my mother began getting messages about the display driver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by boweasel, Sep 25, 2016.

1. boweasel Win User

Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another

We have a Windows 10 desktop that was homemade and originally had Windows 7. A few weeks ago my mother began getting messages about the display driver - 'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered' was the heading while the text in the message box referenced an AMD driver. She would usually get this in the middle of one of her Facebook games and many times she'd have to reboot.

I went into regedit and increased the GPU Processing Time by adjusting the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value, adding a dword of 8. It helped, but we then began getting 'Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware', pointing to the application iexplore.exe.

Then I used Windows +I to go into Recovery and tried to reset the PC, keeping her files, but got a message that the recovery had run into a problem and was canceled.

Not yet discouraged I again used Windows +I to go into the updates, thinking that Windows would update whatever driver was causing the error. But I got the attached screen

Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another [​IMG]

Trying again made no difference. I then downloaded and ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter which says that it fixed some problems, but a reboot and another attempt at updates showed that nothing had changed. Searching on the 0x80073712 error I was prompted to run the System File Checker.

So, moving on, I went to an administrative prompt and ran sfc /scannow. This is the result.

I have run a full Windows Defender scan, a full Malwarebytes scan, CCleaner and AdwCleaner. Nothing has made a difference.

Now I AM discouraged.

:)

boweasel, Sep 25, 2016

2. Seems each update brings another problem with font sizes and reading text on the phone settings. It is extremely small.

Thank you...an easy fix...just didn't know.

This would be helpful, however I am using a mobile phone.. And in Outlook.com I do NOT have the settings you listed under Options. And my phone settings do not sync with many apps on my Windows 10 phone. Seems each update brings another problem with font
    sizes and reading text on the phone settings. It is extremelysmall. And advanced settings no longer offer an option at all. At a loss.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

loisheichberger, Sep 25, 2016
  3. le_flyer Win User
    KB4054517 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1709 for x64-based systems fails

Thanks for the reply.

Had to reinstall Windows to get this resolved. However, another problem popped up with the installation of KB4041994. This is a Windows Update issue after talking with Microsoft Support.

The only solution is to do a custom installation if Patch Tuesday does not bring in a fix.

le_flyer, Sep 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it's probably time to do an in-place upgrade repair install.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi that's ok. What's your build by the way? If 1511, I would suggest upgrading to 1607 - kind of the same effect in some ways as doing an in-place upgrade.
    (Windows key + R, type winver)

You could also try running SFC /SCANNOW when in Safe Mode.
    The resource protection msg can occur if files are in use.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  6. boweasel Win User
    Have tried that previously and achieved the same result as in the last attachment from post 1

boweasel, Sep 30, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    You do it manually.

So I suggest you either download an iso or create a bootable medium for build 1607, boot to normal mode, and run setup.exe from there, or you do an in-place upgrade repair install of 1511.

The anniversary build has introduced problems for some- widely publicised. So the latter may be safer.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  8. boweasel Win User

Somehow I don't think this in-place repair install did anything. I saw it go through all the steps shown in the tutorial, and then I left the room. When I came back an hour later the tower was shut down. The power options are set to never sleep, so that seems ominous. Restarting, then doing the Windows+I, going to updates and checking the update history showed that everything listed on that screen for this day had failed. I really don't know if this was updates Windows decided to do on its own, or if these are from the repair install. The event log seems to be riddled with error messages, most of which I don't understand..

boweasel, Sep 30, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, when you did this, did you elect to receive updates as well?
    One sign of having done this is that if you had system restore on, now it will be off.
    Further, if you had restore points previously, now you will have none.

I prefer not to do so, as it introduces a whole extra area where things could go wrong.

I suggest you try again, monitoring carefully, but not doing updates (opposite of step 8), noting any error messages.

Once it has completed, check your windows version. It should be the initial build of 1511 (unless by now MS has updated the iso!).
    You can cross-check:
    ISO - See what Language, Edition, and Architecture of Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  10. boweasel Win User
    I pretty much followed the guidelines from the tutorial

Restore points seem not to have been affected on the now 2 times I've done this. I have just this one

I will try it again for the third time without updates...

boweasel, Sep 30, 2016
  11. boweasel Win User
    Well, it does look like something is happening is happening this time. The first 2 times it rebooted within an hour. Now it's taking it's time - in the past 80 minutes the percentage completed has gone from 33 to 35%. But at least it is moving. And not restarting. I have to leave and cannot continue monitoring the progress. But thanks for the tip about unchecking the updates - too bad the tutorial failed to mention it...

boweasel, Sep 30, 2016
  12. boweasel Win User
    Awrightythen.....
    Was gone for several hours and when I got back the progress was still at 35%, but there was a message box on the screen - Are you sure you want to quit? Choices were Yes and No

Now no one had been in the room while I was gone, so I don't know what that's about. But I clicked 'No', the box went away and underneath the 35% it said the PC would restart in a few minutes. After a quick (real quick) bathroom break I came back and saw that the PC was in the middle of restarting, with the phrase - Restoring your previous version of Windows at the bottom. Can this get any worse?

After it finished booting I got the following message

Troubleshooting Tips were useless. Color me shocked.

boweasel, Oct 1, 2016
  13. boweasel Win User

Ran the DISM Tool

boweasel, Oct 1, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Umm. The key is always to research the exact non-human-interpretable meant for the eyes of the designer only error message, as you probably know. We're past DISM.

I haven't time now other than to show you the results of a quick search. Please read carefully, research further.
    Fix: Installation Failed in Safe_OS Phase With an Error During Apply_image Operation
    WINDOWS 10 UPDATE ERROR --- The installation failed in the - Microsoft Community
    We couldn't install windows 10 : techsupport

Also search this forum, preferring threads marked solved (but not every thread starter does that).

Basics: disconnect anything you don't need.
    Do a clean boot and disable any AV (you can disconnect the internet as you're not downloading).
    Make sure you have at least 500Mb unallocated on your system disk.

dalchina, Oct 1, 2016
  15. boweasel Win User
    I'm obviously missing something very basic here. I downloaded an iso image of 10 months ago from a tutorial on this forum. I labeled it Windows 10 Home and used it to correct whatever problem I was having.

Now, months later I tried to use it to do a repair install on my mom's Windows 10 tower

Nothing about the repair install has worked, but the person attempting to help me in that thread suggested I navigate to this link
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    and run dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:I:\sources\install.wim /index:1

The results of that show that the disk I'm using to do a repair install on a 64 bit Windows Home OS is a 64 bit Windows Pro disk. I have no idea how that occurred, and re-reading through this thread fails to make me understand it with any more clarity. I thought following the steps outlined here would get me a disk I could use to work on either W10 Pro or W10 Home. Did I miss something? Or totally screw up the process?

And do the results I got from that DISM command explain why the in place repair install failed?

boweasel, Oct 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Updates - Trying to resolve 1 Problem brings up another. And another - Similar Threads - Updates Trying resolve

2. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Another Problem!!: My laptop is stuck in it's loading screen for the past hour and I am not able to get it to work is there any shortcut that will help shut down the system during the process or if there is any other solution plz let me know URGENT!!!!...
  3. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Another Problem!!: My laptop is stuck in it's loading screen for the past hour and I am not able to get it to work is there any shortcut that will help shut down the system during the process or if there is any other solution plz let me know URGENT!!!!...
  4. Another Problem!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Usb only shows up on 1 pc and not another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Usb only shows up on 1 pc and not another: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/CodyBro1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j2sdtn/usb_only_shows_up_on_1_pc_and_not_another/
  6. another problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    another problem: The remote service accepts connections encrypted using TLS 1.1. TLS 1.1 lacks support for current and recommended cipher suites. Ciphers that support encryption before MAC computation, and authenticated encryption modes such as GCM cannot be used with TLS 1.1 As of March 31,...
  7. Another Windows Update Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Another Windows Update Problem: Greetings everyone, I thank all of you in advance for reading this. I am deperate at this point So here I am, with my Windows 1607 build, I know pretty old. And I am finally trying to update, but my built in Windows Updater is not working. It just says "Downloading Updates...
  8. Another "Windows update" with problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Another "Windows update" with problems: For history Windows update 1803 partitioned my hard drive; which I was able to restore./resolve.. . " Now my hard now has 5 partitions, performance is record low or my system crashes... What caused this and how do I fix it?...
  9. Another try

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Another try: I have tried 10 a couple of times when the upgrade was free but it was so buggy and the privacy issues did worry me and on one machine the whole thing just froze. Now I am wondering if I am too late to install 7 onto a new drive and then upgrade for free? Edit I am...
  10. Another Update Another Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Another Update Another Problem: Really getting tired of this OS. Second time this happened. 1 >Default browser went back to IE. 2 >Settings opens Control Panel 3 >Programs that should appear on Task bar DON'T 4 >More that I didn't write down 1 > Ran sfc /scannow TWICE nothing 2 > This one is great...