Windows 10: Updating Outlook 2016 Caused Most Features To Be "Disabled Because Office Product Is Inactive"

Discus and support Updating Outlook 2016 Caused Most Features To Be "Disabled Because Office Product Is Inactive" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In a yellow banner below the icon commands in Outlook 2016, an UPDATE box appeared. I clicked on it and was directed to a Microsoft site which asked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MichaelGebhardt2, May 20, 2020.

1. Updating Outlook 2016 Caused Most Features To Be "Disabled Because Office Product Is Inactive"

In a yellow banner below the icon commands in Outlook 2016, an UPDATE box appeared. I clicked on it and was directed to a Microsoft site which asked if I wanted a Quick Fix or Longer Fix. Neither fix worked. Now in the yellow banner is "NOTICE. Most features are disabled because your Office product is inactive. To use for fee, sign and use the web version." Clicking on the ACTIVATE box directs me to another site that asks for my product key. I paid for MS Office Home Business 2016 PC Key Card Software License on 27 Nov 2015, but no longer have the key card that identifies the 25 alphanumeric key. All Office apps were working OK prior to clicking on the UPDATE box in Outlook. I do not want to use a web version. How do I get Outlook and other Office apps working properly without buying a new key card?

:)

MichaelGebhardt2, May 20, 2020

2. Office 365 or Office 2016

Under info for the new office listing on My Visual Studio it states.

Office Professional Plus 2016 (x86 and x64) - (Multiple Languages)
    To obtain the product, follow these steps:

Step 1: Get your product key by clicking the ‘Get key’ button on the right.

Step 2: Go to the Office website by clicking the ‘Get it now’ button.

Step 3: Enter your 25-character product key and continue as directed on the site.

Released: 9/23/2015

And for the discontinued it states.

Office Professional Plus 2016 (Discontinued)
    Info
    Keys
    Office Professional Plus 2016 (x86 and x64) - DVD (English)
    No additional details are available for this file.

Released: 9/22/2015
    SHA1: 213A8A0F8849516704101CB6C49F6A027B0D6D5F
    File name: en_office_professional_plus_2016_x86_x64_dvd_6962141.iso

I'm thinking option one is going to be my only option. I'm fine with that as long as I can get Outlook to work with my ISP's pop3 e-mail. Last time I tried that with the new 2016 install I could not get it to work, no way no how. All the same settings that work with the ISO install?

EDIT: I should mention, for me as far as I know, neither of these options are a subscription. They use two different keys but they are perpetual one time activation licenses. I only ran the new download briefly though, as I could not get outlook to work. I bailed and went back to what works.

alphanumeric, May 20, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Announcing build 16.0.7167.2047 for Office 2016 and Office 365

See:

Updating Outlook 2016 Caused Most Features To Be "Disabled Because Office Product Is Inactive" [​IMG]
    Tip How to Check for Updates in Office 2016 for Windows

Brink, May 20, 2020
  4. Steve Fan Win User

Updating Outlook 2016 Caused Most Features To Be "Disabled Because Office Product Is Inactive"

Outlook 2016 problems

As suggested by Appleoddity, the first step is to disable all your add-ins to determine whether the issue is caused by a problematic add-in.

If issue still continues when all add-ins are disabled, then you can try renaming the following \Outlook registry key to \Outlook-1 when Outlook is closed:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook

Then, start Outlook and create your new profile to test it. When you start Outlook in safe mode, most of the customization settings are disabled, and these customization settings are stored in the \Outlook registry key. If it doesn't work, you can just renaming the newly generated \Outlook key to \Outlook-2, and then rename the \Outlook-1 key back to \Outlook.

Steve Fan, May 20, 2020
Thema:

Updating Outlook 2016 Caused Most Features To Be "Disabled Because Office Product Is Inactive"

1. Updating Outlook 2016 Caused Most Features To Be "Disabled Because Office Product Is Inactive" - Similar Threads - Updating Outlook 2016

2. This feature has been disabled by your administrator Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    This feature has been disabled by your administrator Office 2016: I clicked to use the help in MS Excel and I got an error message stating that the feature was disabled my my administrator. However this is my home computer and I am the only person that uses the computer. I opened up Word and tried clicking on help and I get the same error...
  3. This feature has been disabled by your administrator Office 2016

in Windows 10 Support
    This feature has been disabled by your administrator Office 2016: I clicked to use the help in MS Excel and I got an error message stating that the feature was disabled my my administrator. However this is my home computer and I am the only person that uses the computer. I opened up Word and tried clicking on help and I get the same error...
  4. Windows Features Update 1903 and Office 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Features Update 1903 and Office 2016: I have just updated from Win 10 1809 to 1903 and now every time I go to go into my Office 2016 suite of programs I have to enter the Product key, Instal then when the program opens I have to Activate it by re-entering the product key and re-installing again. I tried to...
  5. Migrating Outlook from Office 2013 to Office 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Migrating Outlook from Office 2013 to Office 2016: Hi, is there any way of backing up all email accounts in Outlook 2013 (including username+password) and restoring them in Outlook 2016 without having to manually recreate the accounts? Thanks 53270
  6. Linking Outlook 2016 with Office 365

Linking Outlook 2016 with Office 365: I have been running Exchange server 2010 on our network and recently subscribed to Office 365 online. I can access email ok on line through the Office 365 portal but cannot get Outlook 2016 on my PC to link with the online mail. Outlook 2016 on my PC (Windows 10, 64 bit...
  7. Office 365 with (2016) apps Word/Outlook Spellcheck extra features

Office 365 with (2016) apps Word/Outlook Spellcheck extra features: One of my systems (out of four) that all have recently ( about 3 weeks back) been completely reloaded for Office 365 including a full run of the MS uninstaller app first, now has a feature that many people have asked for but MS has yet to restore. On this one system...
  8. Enable or Disable Automatic Updates in Office 2016

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Updates in Office 2016: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates in Office 2016 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Office 2016 Updates [img] Information By default, Click-to-Run installations of Microsoft Office 2016 are configured to automatically update your Office installation when new...
  9. Announcing February feature update for Office 2016 for Office 365

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing February feature update for Office 2016 for Office 365: On March 9, 2017, we released the February feature update for Office 2016. To get the update immediately, open any Office 2016 app and choose File > Account > Update Options > Update Now. After you install the update, you should be running Version 1702 (Build 7870.2020)....
  10. Announcing January feature update for Office 2016 for Office 365

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing January feature update for Office 2016 for Office 365: On February 23, 2017, we released the January feature update for Office 2016. To get the update immediately, open any Office 2016 app and choose File > Account > Update Options > Update Now. After you install the update, you should be running Version 1701 (Build...