Windows 10: Updating system repair/recovery disk?

Discus and support Updating system repair/recovery disk? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I am running windows 10 Creator version. My system repair/recovery USB flash drive was created during windows 8.1. Do I have to update the stick?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by oeivinr, Sep 23, 2017.

1. oeivinr Win User

Updating system repair/recovery disk?

Hi,
    I am running windows 10 Creator version. My system repair/recovery USB flash drive was created during windows 8.1. Do I have to update the stick?

:)

oeivinr, Sep 23, 2017

2. System Repair / Recovery.

Perhaps the question is confusing as well Updating system repair/recovery disk? :)

If you do a clean Install using Windows 10 media, it would Install windows 10. if you use an 8.1 media, it would Install 8.1.

The best way to clean Install is to use the in-built feature(available with the Anniversary update):

• Navigate to settings
    • Update and security
    • Recovery
    • Start fresh with clean Installation of Windows.
    It would clean Install windows 10 removing all your settings and applications.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 23, 2017
  3. AlecBlyth Win User
    System Repair / Recovery.

Apologies for the late response.

When I bought my computer it advised to make a recovery disk. I did. Since then I have downloaded the updates and now have the Win 10 Anniversary update. Do I need to create a new recovery disk or will it restore to Win 8.1 and I will have to do all the
    downloads again?

AlecBlyth, Sep 23, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Yes, or it will reinstall old OS.

You have to recreate after each build upgrade.

cereberus, Sep 23, 2017
  5. oeivinr Win User
    Thanx, but what do you mean by "each build upgrade" I have set schedule of backups to 1st of each month. Does that mean that I have to upgrade my usb stick every month?

oeivinr, Sep 23, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Each major build. One or twice a year MS releases a new major build, and all your system files are replaced. The next is the Fall/Autumn Creator's Build next month. The last was the Anniversary build.

You can look these up on the internet and read about them.

Between the builds MS releases updates.
    Windows 10 release information - current branch, build history

dalchina, Sep 23, 2017
  7. oeivinr Win User
    Thanx. Unfortunately I cannot make a system recovery to a usb flash drive using Window built-in tool. I get the error message: missing DVD drive. I have done it before, but have forgotten. Could you please remind me how to do it. Help will be much appreciated.

oeivinr, Sep 23, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 23, 2017
  9. oeivinr Win User
    Thanx a lot all of you. Now I remember.

oeivinr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updating system repair/recovery disk? - Similar Threads - Updating system repair

2. Create Windows 11 System Repair Disk and a Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Windows 11 System Repair Disk and a Recovery Drive: I created a Windows "System Repair disk" on an external USB DVD disk, using the Control Panel selected Backup and Restore Windows 7.I also created a "Recovery Drive" on an external USB Flash drive, from the "Settings" screen.When I look at the contents on both of them, I...
  3. system repair disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system repair disk?: what is a system repair disk and how do I get one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disk/c920d5c3-8bf7-4150-98c9-9358a3ada27a
  4. system repair disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system repair disk?: what is a system repair disk and how do I get one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disk/c920d5c3-8bf7-4150-98c9-9358a3ada27a
  5. Problem with Win 10 system repair disk or recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with Win 10 system repair disk or recovery disk: I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me regarding safety disks/usb. I have Windows 10 Home 64bit. It says ut is version 19042, 1502 I am trying to make a new up-to-date Windows system repair disk. My previous repair disk seems to boot up fine but the two brand new...
  6. System Repair Disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Repair Disk: I couldn't find any information in support about my question. Which is: Do we need to create a new "System Repair Disk" for "System Backup" each time we update the new version of our Windows 10?...
  7. recovery system image repair disk

recovery system image repair disk: I have a Dell 7010 with current updates for win 10. I purchased two new 250g hard drives. I used the system repair disk to install my system backup on the first one. Witch seemed to work fine. when I tried to put the system on my second new hard drive the repair disk will...
  8. System repair / recovery

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System repair / recovery: Hello, System Repair / Recovery doesn't work in my Windows 10 Pro version 1909. Error code : 0x81000203 : stations cannot be scanned (?). How to solve this issue ? Thanks in advance for your reply. Best regards. 147794
  9. system repair disk

system repair disk: I was told that I can use a USB drive to create system repair drive but the only option is to use DVD/CD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disk/c4bc3e8d-81e1-4756-9ac6-6ca0ae08e632
  10. System Recovery > Repair folder hogging disk space

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Recovery > Repair folder hogging disk space: I have noticed that C:\System Recovery\Repair is taking a large amount of disc space. TreeSize shows that it contains 351,288 files, Size 53.8GB, Allocated 36.2GB. The file types are mainly .dll .exe .manifest .sys .mof .cat I read elsewhere on the web that it might relate...