Windows 10: Upgrade Question

Discus and support Upgrade Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two identical HP Elite desktop 800 PC's one has Windows 10 installed. I also have a recovery drive canI use that recovery drive to install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by shoe, Nov 21, 2015.

1. shoe Win User

Upgrade Question

I have two identical HP Elite desktop 800 PC's one has Windows 10 installed.
    I also have a recovery drive canI use that recovery drive to install Windows 10 on the other PC?

:)

2. Windows 10 retail license key

I've been looking into possibly getting Windows 10. I found retail license keys being sold on eBay for extremely cheap (under $15). It
    seems like there would have to be some issue with these. However, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I've been doing some research. If I understand correctly, if it's retail then it cannot be OEM. Also, if it's retail, I understand it cannot be
    a volume license key. From what I understand, it cannot be MSDN, either. If it were simply pirated, then I don't see how it could be activated as they claim it can be. What am I missing? FWIW, it comes from Europe, but claims to be valid worldwide.

(Not linking to the eBay sale as I don't want to "promote" it if there is an issue with it. But what can you suggest to me based on the little info available?)

Edit: A possibility... could it potentially be resold to other parties and activated by them, but then if I reinstall (when enough activations have been done), I will be unable to reactivate again?

(Question), Nov 21, 2015
  3. Rayaka M Win User
    Upgrade question.

Okay thank you. I just bought a new hp laptop and I like the way it runs on the Windows10. It lags a bit even though it's new but its okay I man put it on the other one instead getting of .

Rayaka M, Nov 21, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Upgrade Question

When you installed Win 10 to one of your HPs, did you save the iso file ?
    If yes, you can either burn it to a bootable media (DVD or USB) and use the media to install the other HP,
    or,
    you can copy the iso file from the first HP to an external hard drive, then plug the ext. hdd to the other HP > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe.

davidhk, Nov 21, 2015
  5. shoe Win User
    No all I have is the USB recovery drive so I guess the answer is no?

6. davidhk Win User
    If you have not used Disk Cleanup or Ccleaner to remove the "old installation file ", you can use this tutorial to create an ISO file.....
    ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

davidhk, Nov 21, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you picked the option to copy system files to the Recovery drive, then you should be able to use it for the other PC. The recovery drive made with the copy system files option is not much different that a regular Windows 10 Install USB/DVD.

That does NOT mean the license from the first PC will carry over to the second PC. The second PC will have to have it's own license for Windows either through a previous installed Windows 7/8/8.1 or through it's own previous upgrade and digital entitlement.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Upgrade Question

Just download the ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench and use it to install Windows 10 on the other PC. Unless you have a restricted version, the correct version is "Windows 10" which includes both Home and Pro, depending on previous Windows version or key during installation. If you do a clean-install and skip key, you will be asked to select version. Make sure you select the correct version, based on your previous Windows version, or enter your Windows 7 key to make sure you can activate. Also, "English" is English US, while "English International" is English GB. Make sure you select the right language, or you won't be able to upgrade and offered a clean-install.

spapakons, Nov 21, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Tech Bench has rolled back to build 10240 so entering a Windows 7 product key will not work.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Why was that? Fortunately I downloaded the new version in time *Cool

OK, then download the ISO from Tech Bench, but create the activation token as described here before proceeding. To get the latest build use Windows Update several times until no other updates are available.

spapakons, Nov 22, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    There were at least 4 threads in reference to Microsoft taking down November Update from MCT, Windows Update and Tech Bench.
    I started with this thread :
    https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...tion-tool.html

davidhk, Nov 22, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    I guess they feared that anyone could install Windows 10 providing a not-legitimate Windows 7 or 8 key. Since there was no way to confirm the key was genuine, they removed the 10586 build until they can do that. For those not having downloaded the 10586 ISO from Tech Bench (too bad, you should never let an opportunity pass), they can install the 10240 build and then upgrade to 10586 through Windows Update. Not very practical, but it can be done. For us that have the ISO we can use it to upgrade directly from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 build 10586.

spapakons, Nov 22, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Upgrade Question

No, they can't. Build 10586 is not showing up in Windows Update either.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Not sure that's true. I've seen several posts here that said that scenario still worked. I have no way to check it as all mu computers ar aT 10536.11.

Hmm, I could setup a new VM and see what happens. Would be good to know for sure,

Ztruker, Nov 22, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Since Friday when build 10586 was removed from normal download channels? All the posts I have read have been "When will I get it?" including my own several month old install of 10240 professional - no upgrade to 10586 offered on my Windows Update.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
Thema:

Upgrade Question

1. Upgrade Question - Similar Threads - Upgrade Question

2. A Question About Upgrading From Windows 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A Question About Upgrading From Windows 10 to 11: I don't plan to upgrade right now but I now inevitably I'll have to, and I have a specific question that's been on my mind in regards to the shift. I'm on Windows 10 Pro so I assume the upgrade will automatically bring me to Windows 11 Pro, and not HomeI read somewhere, and...
  3. A Question About Upgrading From Windows 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A Question About Upgrading From Windows 10 to 11: I don't plan to upgrade right now but I now inevitably I'll have to, and I have a specific question that's been on my mind in regards to the shift. I'm on Windows 10 Pro so I assume the upgrade will automatically bring me to Windows 11 Pro, and not HomeI read somewhere, and...
  4. Question on Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question on Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home and I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11. Windows 10 was installed for free by Microsoft as an upgrade to the existing Windows 7 on this PC. I have only the Windows 7 product key. The issue is that the PC is non-compliant for Windows...
  5. Question on Upgrade to Windows 11

Question on Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home and I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11. Windows 10 was installed for free by Microsoft as an upgrade to the existing Windows 7 on this PC. I have only the Windows 7 product key. The issue is that the PC is non-compliant for Windows...
  6. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  7. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  8. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  9. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  10. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC