Windows 10: upgrade questions

Discus and support upgrade questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yes, dual booting Windows 10 with the version of Windows you should be upgrading from will violate your EULA, but Microsoft seems to be tolerant of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jalea148, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Fafhrd Win User

upgrade questions

Yes, dual booting Windows 10 with the version of Windows you should be upgrading from will violate your EULA, but Microsoft seems to be tolerant of these sort of violations at present. I think Microsoft wants as many users to be running Windows 10 NOW as possible, and is prepared to bend its own rules to get digital entitlement on as many machines as it can! I doubt this will continue for long past the end of the free upgrade period, after the end of July 2016, but who knows?

For instance, I don't hear of people losing activation on their OEM installed system or their Windows 10 dual boots yet. It takes some undefined time for the activation servers to flag up a notification in the license of a machine that is in violation of the license terms.

Here's a question - Is your Windows 7 Ultimate a retail upgrade or full version that you bought, or is it OEM installed by Dell - on the PC when you bought it? If a full version, then you can dual boot without any violation whatsoever.

You can open an admin command prompt and run slmgr -dlv to see the result - either: RETAIL CHANNEL or OEM SLP CHANNEL?

If you want to take this small risk (that you may, at some future date, be flagged as having an invalid license), to avoid problems with the DVD optical drive during installation, Jalea, copy the files from the DVD to a folder (call it Win_10_Setup, or something else meaningful to you) on your Windows 7 partition.

Remove the DVD and boot into Windows 7 as normal.

All the stuff below can be found here:

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup
    Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup

step 4 of this tutorial applies

Open the Win_10_Setup\sources\ folder and find GatherOSState.exe. Copy this file to your desktop and run it. It will create a file called GenuineTicket.XML on your desktop. Copy this to a safe place as a backup, then run setup.exe from the same sources folder, selecting the new partition you have created for the installation.
    Don't enter a product key - select "I don't have a product key" on that screen, and finish the installation.
    After installation has completed, and you are on the first desktop of Windows 10, follow the first tutorial above to register the GenuineTicket.xml to activate the PC. Activation follows rebooting fairly quickly (immediately!) in most cases, but Shawn states it may take a second reboot in the tutorial.

If you get on OK with Windows 10, then consider ("you must"!) removing or upgrading your Windows 7 installation rather sooner than later, or remove the Windows 10 if you or your PC is not ready for it yet. Dell, like other OEMs may not provide full laptop support for upgrades of Windows 7 to 10.

If you register with the Insider program, and use your MS account to sign into Windows 10, then I'm not sure if the EULA is relaxed (in enforcement terms) even more - it certainly was for Insiders registered pre-July 29, 2015 - as you are effectively an unpaid beta-tester for Microsoft - but the terms of engagement are fuzzy.

Fafhrd, Mar 19, 2016
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

OEM or Full Version does not matter. 1 license = 1 installed and activated instance of Windows. PERIOD. If a person has 1 retail license for Windows 7 they still have ONE license, not two. If they are running 1 full retail licensed Windows 7 and 1 Windows 10 as an upgrade from that Windows 7, 1+1 still equals 2. The upgrade to Windows 10 does not result in the granting of an additional license. The Windows 7 license is used as the license to run Windows 10. And the retail license for Windows 7 still says it can only be installed on one device at a time.

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
  3. Fafhrd Win User
    Nonsense.

If there was an OEM license for Windows 7 installed on the machine at the time it was purchased, and a full retail license has subsequently been purchased and installed, then there are 2 licenses.

Under these circumstances, either or both may be upgraded to Windows 10, or clean installed in their respective place with the relevant edition.

Without knowledge of the actual situation, I cannot say whether this is the case or not here.

Fafhrd, Mar 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

upgrade questions

I apologize, I misread your original statement:

You are correct. A computer that came with Windows 7 Home or Starter OEM license and was then upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate with an upgrade license can legally only run 1 copy of Windows and that 1 copy of Windows can be Starter, Home, Ultimate, or Pro, Windows 7 or Windows 10 - but no combinations of any of them or more than 1 of any of them.

A computer that came with Windows 7 Home or Starter OEM license and was then upgraded with a full Windows 7 Ultimate license, not an upgrade, can run 2 copies of Windows - 1 Home and 1 Pro (but still not legally entitled to the combination of Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 10 Pro together).

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Absolutely.

Fafhrd, Mar 19, 2016
  6. jalea148 Win User
    New problem ---
    Started installation inside Win 7 2 1/2 hours ago . Says Getting Updates ... 0%. Seems excessive

jalea148, Mar 19, 2016
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    You've stalled.

If you had outstanding stalled Windows Updates for 7 they may cause the Windows 10 updates phase to block.
    solutions:

Windows Update - Reset - Windows 7 Help Forums

then allow Windows 7 to update completely up-to-date - may take hours *Sad

You may wish to avoid the delay:

To install:
    clean boot with MSCONFIG

Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup - Windows 7 Help Forums

Open services.msc, and stop WUSUASERV and disable it,

Disable WIFI, and unplug any ethernet cables, and any removable CD or DVD or USB storage, printer, scanner camera etc. - all except keyboard and pointing device.

Start the install from the sources folder copied onto your hard disk, as noted in step 4, and do not allow to install updates - these can be done post-installation.

Should be much faster now.

Install Windows 10

Fafhrd, Mar 19, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

upgrade questions

The last couple of times I have installed Windows, I have disconnected the computer from the network and waited until after installation to do updates. Seems like updates during install is a crap shoot. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it hangs indefinitely.

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
  9. jalea148 Win User
    Hurray - finally updated
    • '
      ran Reset_Windows_Update_History.bat
      re-downloaded update iso file and burned it to DVD with ImgBurn
      chose download updates later
    • Complaints:
      Cannot easily get rid of 'ask me anything' [Cortana]
      several magnifier features not working
      all default settings need to be re-created
      asked desired new feature settings during setup; did not understand their explanations; need list to follow up

Thanks for helping me thru this scary experience

jalea148, Mar 20, 2016
  10. jalea148 Win User
    What a horror!!!
    Win 10 reset my ID and gave me a password without asking or notifying me. I finally got in with one of my ancient passwords.
    In addition to the above complaints it says my Office 2010 is illegal. I bought this machine with it installed. [Fortunately, I can get Excel to run}
    I tried to reboot with DVD ISO; went into loop! Tried to repair [several variations] - all failed and restarted with login. What **@@!!! designed this?

also hate new start icon - gives a collection of Icons I'll never use. Before I had a set to keep in Start button. How do I get it back?

jalea148, Mar 21, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi,
    1. It's normal (unfortunately) for associations to be set to Win 10's default. Note: whilst generally once set to what you want various issues have been found which in some cases and for some people cause some or all to be reset.

Setting defaults MUST be done thru Settings or the Control Panel, not within desktop programs (true from Win 8 on).

2. Cannot easily get rid of 'ask me anything' [Cortana]. also hate new start icon - gives a collection of Icons I'll never use.
    You will be much happier (I think) with Classic Shell (or similar) as your start menu - you can still use the Win 10 one as well. This properly represents the traditional categorised folder/sub-folder based start menu which the Win 10 one doesn't -& it doesn't allow you to manipulate the left side on the menu as you're used to.

The search box in Classic shell is much more what you want.

You can even get back the Win 7 Orb with Classic Shell for example- extract it from a Win 7 theme. That's what I use.

The Cortana search box in the task bar is easy to hide. Explore rt clicking the taskbar.

3. Other: Driver issues affect some with Win 10 - if you have no issues, count yourself lucky. But note Uncle MS manages drivers, and will replace anything that's an unexpected version. Windows Update is different- it does not appear now in Control Panel. If you dislike the icons, with a little work you can get many Win 7 icons back with Icon Changer (freeware)- some 77.

4. Ensure you use disk imaging periodically - Win 10 is sensitive to some changes which can kill its start menu and Cortana. Disk imaging will help you get back to a working state quickly without technical assistance or panic attacks.

5. System Restore is off by default - consider turning it on. Restore points are not now set before MS updates. Create a daily scheduled task to set one.

dalchina, Mar 22, 2016
  12. jalea148 Win User
    Great advice; hope everyone with these concerns reads it. I had already made some of these fixes including
    modifying the start menu. Hope I haven't removed anything critical. I'll start on your other recommendations.
    Thank you so much.

jalea148, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

upgrade questions

1. upgrade questions - Similar Threads - upgrade questions

2. Question on Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question on Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home and I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11. Windows 10 was installed for free by Microsoft as an upgrade to the existing Windows 7 on this PC. I have only the Windows 7 product key. The issue is that the PC is non-compliant for Windows...
  3. Question on Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question on Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home and I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11. Windows 10 was installed for free by Microsoft as an upgrade to the existing Windows 7 on this PC. I have only the Windows 7 product key. The issue is that the PC is non-compliant for Windows...
  4. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  5. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  6. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  7. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  8. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

9. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...
  10. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...