Windows 10: Upgrade to 1903 creates 2 additional User folders and breaks many apps

Discus and support Upgrade to 1903 creates 2 additional User folders and breaks many apps in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Today I upgraded from 1809 to 1903. On boot my Vueminder calendar app could not start as it could not access the AppData folder. Also some other apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by markusp_495, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Upgrade to 1903 creates 2 additional User folders and breaks many apps

Today I upgraded from 1809 to 1903. On boot my Vueminder calendar app could not start as it could not access the AppData folder. Also some other apps were having problems. I quickly found that in addition to my main User folder xxx (no Admin rights) the update created 2 new User folders with similar names, something like xxx000 and xxx_migrate and they had some of my original user files in them. So obviously the apps looking for data did not find it in the original/expected location.

I moved those files to the original User folder and it worked for some apps but not for others such as iTunes where I could not make it point to the media folder in the original User folder - the program always defaulted back to pointing at xxx000.

So I gave up and used the full image back up I luckily created before the upgrade. To my horror at the end of the image backup restore it said FAILED. I then had to click through some screens including a repair option and miraculously the system booted up ok and everything seems in order so far.

I did some web searching but could not find any similar issues people experienced with this update. However there were some older issues with new user folders being created relating to ppl who had replaced their HDs with SSDs. I also upgraded to an SSD back in November 2018. I only upgraded to 1809 back in April and had no issues then.

Many thanks for your help.

:)

markusp_495, Jul 2, 2019
  2. NdMk2o1o Win User

Split Steam app folder between 2 HDD?

As the title suggests I want to find out if there's a way I can split my steam app folder on to 2 drives, specifically an SSD that I will be putting my OS and most used games and apps and a regular HDD for everything else?

NdMk2o1o, Jul 2, 2019
  3. Local profile issue after upgrading to 1903

Hi roblinb

Not listed in the Known.

Known issues for Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903

As far as Wifi any chance it is Qualcom inside USB adapter, if Qualcom then yes known issue.

I might create another user (Local) and when if try again see if this issue occurs on both users.

Would also suggest you run the first 5 steps in this tutorial to see if you have any corruption with current build.

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Upgrade to 1903 creates 2 additional User folders and breaks many apps

Setting New Location Of User Folder to another User Folder

Hi Renee,

Having an easy access to the Desktop folder can give you a convenience on opening your files. Regarding your concern about the Desktop folder that was moved to the Downloads section, we recommend that you create a new local user or administrator account to
    resolve the issue.

To create a local user or administrator account, follow the steps listed on this
    link

In addition, to move your files from the Downloads folder back to the Desktop folder, we suggest that you manually copy and paste the files to avoid any data loss.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

Upgrade to 1903 creates 2 additional User folders and breaks many apps

1. Upgrade to 1903 creates 2 additional User folders and breaks many apps - Similar Threads - Upgrade 1903 creates

2. Is it normal for folder security users to be that many?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for folder security users to be that many?: I recently noticed often app-crashes and decided to check the tasks running when I fell onto some suspicious files including many users in folder properties>security. Is this a possible trojan virus sign?...
  3. Is it normal for folder security users to be that many?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it normal for folder security users to be that many?: I recently noticed often app-crashes and decided to check the tasks running when I fell onto some suspicious files including many users in folder properties>security. Is this a possible trojan virus sign?...
  4. Is it normal for folder security users to be that many?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Creating Folders in Users/OS

Creating Folders in Users/OS: Can I create a new folder in my User and/or OS folders I am doing this to create space in my onedrive. Or will this bug out my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-folders-in-usersos/c44b0f5d-5723-4d29-b924-1d8dd62ff091
  6. Creating Folders in Users/OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating Folders in Users/OS: Can I create a new folder in my User and/or OS folders I am doing this to create space in my onedrive. Or will this bug out my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-folders-in-usersos/c44b0f5d-5723-4d29-b924-1d8dd62ff091
  7. Too many folders in C:/Users folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too many folders in C:/Users folder.: Hi,I have too many folders in c:/ users than no.of users.Only 1 user, that is the adminstratior.Can I delete everything, leaving only my user folder?The one that is covered by red color is my SQL SERVER Name, whereas the black highlighted was my Admin User.SO CAN I DELETE...
  8. Too many folders in C:/Users folder.

Too many folders in C:/Users folder.: Hi,I have too many folders in c:/ users than no.of users.Only 1 user, that is the adminstratior.Can I delete everything, leaving only my user folder?The one that is covered by red color is my SQL SERVER Name, whereas the black highlighted was my Admin User.SO CAN I DELETE...
  9. Computer Name Change Creating Additional User Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Name Change Creating Additional User Account: I changed my computer name so I'd be able to recognize it in a list of other computers. Now there are two users of my same name and it tries to automatically log in to the new one on startup, but says I have an incorrect password. I have no clue what that password might be,...
  10. Additional user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Additional user accounts: Hi, I have just bought a Surface Studio & have set up accounts for my wife & daughter. There is an account called eatipdyne that I know nothing about that keeps re-appearing. I have removed it but it just keeps coming back. Any explanations or help please? [IMG]...