Windows 10: Upgrading to creators update stops at 30% and reverts

Discus and support Upgrading to creators update stops at 30% and reverts in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, At the moment I'm on Windows 10 pro version 1607 with all normal updates installed. I upgraded my Windows 8 back when the free upgrade started,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wpte, Aug 7, 2017.

1. wpte Win User

Upgrading to creators update stops at 30% and reverts

Hi,

At the moment I'm on Windows 10 pro version 1607 with all normal updates installed. I upgraded my Windows 8 back when the free upgrade started, all upgrades went great up until now.
    I'm trying to get the creators update to install using the upgrade tool, no luck so far.

This is what happens:
    • The tool is able to download, prepare and whatever
    • Windows reboots to start installing
    • Progress ends up at 30% and reboots
    • Progress starting off at 30% again and quite quickly reboots again without progress
    • Windows reverts the changes, reboots and back to old windows again

I've been digging around for a while, but I can't find a solution.
    So far:
    • Made sure bios is up to date
    • sfc /scannow
    • Checked the log and disabled the microsoft sql services
    • Uninstalled my virusscanner (eset smart security)
    • Prayed to Bill Gates

Anyway, here's my latest log from c:\$windows.~bt\sources\panther: setuperr.log
    Just assuming that that's the location where these things get logged. Quite honestly a pretty bad, nearly unfindable location, while the log is also really not telling me a whole lot about what actually went wrong. Or am I just looking at the wrong log?*sarc
    Also, debugging this stuff takes so much time, just the installation itself takes like 2 hours for me, only to be reverted *Rolleyes

Any ideas on how to get this thing installed?*Biggrin

:)

wpte, Aug 7, 2017

2. Upgrading to creators update stops at 30% and reverts

Hi,

The most likely causes of the error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 are incompatible antivirus, other security program or utility software and incompatible driver or hardware. You can refer to this
    thread with the similar concern as yours and check the troubleshooting
    steps provided by PaulSey....

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Aug 7, 2017
  3. wpte Win User

I finally managed to install the fall creators upgrade by disabling all non-microsoft services in msconfig.

wpte, Aug 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please first see:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Note the 'How to' section and the yellow section and the link to diagnosing logs.
    These may help you.

Also please use Minitool Partition Wizard (rather than Disk Management) and post a screenshot of your partitions.
    Make sure columns are expanded so we can see all text.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

Meanwhile, please download an iso for the appropriate Creator's edition so you can readily retry without downloading the whole thing again. Also useful for other PC's and repairs as a boot disk e.g.

Basic checks:
    Check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

And with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

Then from an admin command prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW

and post a summary of the outcome.

dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  5. wpte Win User
    Partitions:

Upgrading to creators update stops at 30% and reverts [​IMG]

I'm using bitlocker btw

SSD's report back 100% healthy status in SMART and self checks also ok
    checkdisk no issues
    sfc scannow also no issues, I've done that already btw
    I even used dism to restore with the online image option, no difference

Downloading the iso?
    I've tried the media creation tool, and made an usb stick.
    Booting from usb and trying the upgrade only tells me to boot in windows and run the usb stick from there which gives me exactly the same upgrading procedure. Downloading is actually the quickest part of the installation.

wpte, Aug 7, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  7. wpte Win User
    Sure, I've "Active & System" instead of "Active & Boot" and "Boot" on my c: drive instead of "System".
    I never messed about with partitions however: I just installed windows 8 the way the installer wanted to, never touched it again. The only thing I did was enable bitlocker on my windows drive in Windows 10.

wpte, Aug 7, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Try working through that link I posted- there are links from that.

I'm not enough of an expert on partitions to advise further on those differences.. hopefully someone will comment.

I would expect the EFI partition to be the boot partition.

dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  9. wpte Win User
    Ok, when using the media creation tool installer again I get this message after the revert:

0xC1900101 - 0x30018
    The installation failed in the fase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the SYSPREP-operation

Could be something with drivers or something: Error when upgrading to Windows 10 0x30018 - Microsoft Community
    Also uninstalled nvidia drivers just to be sure, someone had trouble with that. Still no luck *Sad

wpte, Aug 7, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hmm, guess what, I foolishly expected the MS thread that article linked to to say sthg useful.. I just looked at it for the first time and it doesn't.

There is certain hardware the Creator's build is not compatible with- Broadcom for example- and MS tries not to offer the upgrade to known incompatible systems, but that doesn't always happen.

That error can also occur with incompatible software, but you're doing a clean install. So, what's your hardware configuration?

dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  11. wpte Win User
    I do have a broadcom wifi chip in my motherboard though. I've disabled it, because I'm not using it, but I can't exactly unplug it right. Or would a driver uninstall work?

12. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 7, 2017
  13. wpte Win User

Yeah, that's a LAN, I've a BCM4360 apparentlyThis guy: windows 10 creators update rampage v extreme event id 34 manages to install creators update (albeit with a clean install) on the same motherboard though.

And no, I try manual update.
    So maybe I should sit back and just wait for the update when it's ready?

14. @wpte

You might need to disable BitLocker before you can upgrade Windows to next edition. After the upgrade is complete, you can re-enable BitLocker again.

If this does not help, then also disable all AV you have running while upgrading. After upgrade is complete, re-enable AV. AV tend to interfere with the upgrade process.

If you have full disk encryption enabled, then that could also interfere with the upgrade.

slicendice, Aug 8, 2017
  15. wpte Win User
    The setup claims it would do this automatically for me.
    Also things are written on the encrypted drive (like logs) so.... I'm not sure it's actually required
    I already tried the AV thing

Thema:

1. Upgrading to creators update stops at 30% and reverts - Similar Threads - Upgrading creators update

2. Updating windows 10 stuck at 30% and reverts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating windows 10 stuck at 30% and reverts: Hi!I'm desperate looking for a solution. Thanks in advance for helping me.Since a year, I'm trying to update win10 but always happens the same: it stuck at 30% of installation, after a second reboot, and reverts back to previous installed version.The error message shown is...
  3. Updating windows 10 stuck at 30% and reverts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updating windows 10 stuck at 30% and reverts: Hi!I'm desperate looking for a solution. Thanks in advance for helping me.Since a year, I'm trying to update win10 but always happens the same: it stuck at 30% of installation, after a second reboot, and reverts back to previous installed version.The error message shown is...
  4. Updating windows 10 stuck at 30% and reverts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Update stops at 30%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update stops at 30%: My computer will not install the latest update. It hangs at 30% every time I try it. Is there anything else I can do to get the update to work? submitted by /u/CaptainHunt [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k4xlur/update_stops_at_30/
  6. How To Stop The Fall Creators Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How To Stop The Fall Creators Upgrade: I tried to use the method I used to stop 14393.1715 from upgrading to The CU but with 15063,632 that method stops all updates. Does anyone know of a workable one as 16299 will not work properly on my PC. 94817
  7. Small issue after upgrading to creator's update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Small issue after upgrading to creator's update: So I just have this error in the event viewer ever since I upgraded to win 10 creators update. Event 7000 Service Control Manager The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error: The request is not supported. Any idea what service is this tied to?Or why...
  8. Win10 Creator update 60-30 FPS

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Creator update 60-30 FPS: 2 days ago i updated to creator..had to update video drivers,but since then in mostly all games i get that fps drops to 30 for like 10 seconds and goes back to 60..that comes and goes...VERY annoying disabled any win10 "gaming" bull* "Disable fullscreen optimizations"...
  9. Should I revert from Windows Creators

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I revert from Windows Creators: Before I had Windows Creators, my games were running really well. After creators I suffer a performance loss until I reverted back to Nvidia Drivers 378.92. The performance was good again, but Windows CU decides to automatically update me to the latest Nvidia drivers 382.05...
  10. ISO for creator's upgrade including cumulative updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ISO for creator's upgrade including cumulative updates: Is there any link to get an ISO that bundles the Cumulative updates with it? MSDN article seems to indicate it is available to those with MSDN subscriptions. 88922