Windows 10: USB Installation Media on 1st PC via Mac--desperate

Discus and support USB Installation Media on 1st PC via Mac--desperate in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Okay, so first things first: I have assembled my computer and am having trouble booting my OS of choice (Windows 10), apparently due to a “missing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LarryKnecht, Jan 15, 2019.

1. USB Installation Media on 1st PC via Mac--desperate

Okay, so first things first:

I have assembled my computer and am having trouble booting my OS of choice (Windows 10), apparently due to a “missing media driver.”

I only have a MacBook (2010, El Capitan OS X) to format installation media onto a USB to introduce to the build.

My build is as follows:

CPU - AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM$ Motherboard Memory - G. Skill - Ripsaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Storage - Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5” Solid State Drive “ “ - Hitachi - Deskstar 7K2000 2 TB 3.5” 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Case - Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply - Thermaltake - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC Gaming, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 04G-P4-6253-KR

After extensive combing through message boards and troubleshooting threads, this is what I’ve already tried this far, both on my motherboard’s default BIOS settings and innumerous combinations of different settings. All methods below were achieved both in default BIOS settings and with tinkered BIOS settings:

1. Downloading the Windows 10 .iso straight onto a USB formatted individually for FAT and ExFAT using Apple’s Disk Utility, introducing said USB directly into the motherboard’s 2.0 USB ports. With this method I was not able to get past the boot device selection menu. This method has been employed on three separate USB drives—all SanDisk Cruzer sticks, one 16GB, another two 32GB.

2. Formatting the USB (this time only using the two 32 GB sticks) with the downloaded application “NTFS For Mac” and then moving the .iso onto the USB in question, introducing the USB into the 2.0 USB ports on the motherboard. Using this method, I was able to enter the Windows 10 installation screen, but the resolution was less than normal (that is, the visual elements (like the mouse-arrow) were all larger than normal) and I was not able to get past the “missing media drivers” result, even after employing the typical solution of switching the USB port being used and re-clicking “Install Now.”

3. Formatting the .iso and USB simultaneously using the downloaded application balenaEtcher. With this method, the individual files contained in the .iso (eg: boot) were visible when exploring the device in Finder. When inserted into the USB 2.0 ports, I again got to the Windows 10 Installation prompt, this time with a higher resolution. Again, I did not make it past the “missing media drivers” message, even after switching the port I used, rebooting the computer, pulling out my hair, etc.

4. Formatted the USB and introduced the .iso using Apple’s Terminal (most recent attempt parroted this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhgjqbq_zYA). Using this method I achieved the same results as I did with balenaEtcher: individual files seen when exploring in Finder, Windows 10 installation screen achieved, but no progress past the “missing media drivers” message regardless of port-switching, reboots, or bargaining.

What I have left to try:

a) Formatting a USB directly from a computer that runs Windows 7 or later using Microsoft’s official installation tool.

b) Piecing through online databases and finding the specific drivers needed to get my f***ing build to behave, then seeing whether I can use two USBs in tandem or if I need to put both drivers and .iso files onto the same drive.

c) Purchasing a Windows 10 USB pre-loaded with both a license and installation media (dubious about this one, since the success rate is mixed and it’s an extra $30 above what a key costs normally)

I’d appreciate any wisdom anyone else has in this regard. This is my first build and I’ve been struggling with this last step for the past week.

Thank you for reading!

:)

LarryKnecht, Jan 15, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Firebeast Win User
    Mac OSX USB printer problem

OK i just bought the Canon IP4500 usb printer and installed it on the mac following hte instructions to the letter.

No printer is found and i cannot add it in the Printer list, cause theres no option for USB printer installation, only Appletalk, Bluetooth, and Windows Printing.

I have downloaded the latest drivers etc... but no luck *Bang Head :banghead:

As it is i dont like macs but now with a simple thing as this i dislike them even more.

Last resort is trying installing the printer on a Vista pc and see if it works, if it does then the mac is up to shit, if it does not install then the printer is up to shit.

Anyone had a similar problem maybe and how did you overcome it?

Firebeast, Jan 15, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

USB Installation Media on 1st PC via Mac--desperate

windows 10 Installation media disk

Hi Shaela,

To create a Windows 10 recovery DVD or USB, we suggest that you download and use the media creation tool from the

Microsoft software download website
    . To create an installation or repair media, follow the steps below:

• On a working PC, go to the
      Microsoft software download website
    • Download the media creation tool and then run it. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
    • Select Create installation media for another PC.
    • Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).
    • Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to send a reply.

Gino Des, Jan 15, 2019
Thema:

USB Installation Media on 1st PC via Mac--desperate

1. USB Installation Media on 1st PC via Mac--desperate - Similar Threads - USB Installation Media

2. PC to Mac via Thunderbolt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC to Mac via Thunderbolt: I have a Dell Windows PC running Windows 11 that I am using to remote control a Mac Mini M1. This works fine over wireless or ethernet. I am trying to get it to work using thunderbolt. I have the correct cable connecting the devices and as far as I can tell both devices...
  3. PC to Mac via Thunderbolt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC to Mac via Thunderbolt: I have a Dell Windows PC running Windows 11 that I am using to remote control a Mac Mini M1. This works fine over wireless or ethernet. I am trying to get it to work using thunderbolt. I have the correct cable connecting the devices and as far as I can tell both devices...
  4. usb instalation media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb instalation media: need to know proper settings in bios to make usb installation media to work right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-instalation-media/93ff205c-55ce-47af-9b16-f12dd5eb03dc
  5. usb instalation media

usb instalation media: need to know proper settings in bios to make usb installation media to work right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-instalation-media/93ff205c-55ce-47af-9b16-f12dd5eb03dc
  6. usb instalation media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. USB drive formats PC to MAC

USB drive formats PC to MAC: Will a MacIntosh M1 Air accept a USB drive that has been formatted and contains files from a PC Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-drive-formats-pc-to-mac/e82ed4f8-ab8f-41b9-b896-24912d07b09b
  8. Porting photos via USB drive to Mac

in Windows 10 Support
    Porting photos via USB drive to Mac: Hi everyone. I was just wondering if you lovely people could assist me with a small problem I'm having moving some family photos onto my Sister's Macbook, from my PC running Windows 10? I've bought a new SanDisk USB 64GB flash drive, and formatted it in FAT32 (as I read that...
  9. Create a bootable USB stick via Mac?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create a bootable USB stick via Mac?: Hello, I recently assembled a new PC, but now I need a bootable USB stick. Unfortunately I only have a Mac at home and don't know exactly how to create Windows 10 on the USB stick. I've already looked at a lot of things, but everybody does it differently. Can somebody...
  10. Download via Media Installer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Download via Media Installer: Been downloading Win 10 since 1430 (ish) nearly 6 hours, and only on 20% - should I bin it and say no! 10911