Windows 10: usb on router

Discus and support usb on router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi need help - up to last version of windows 10 (14905) , windows recognized a hard drive (usb) attached to my router with the latest version ,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by exlaval, Sep 3, 2016.

1. exlaval Win User

usb on router

hi
    need help - up to last version of windows 10 (14905) , windows recognized a hard drive (usb) attached to my router
    with the latest version , windows refuses to recognize the router , even though i am connected t the router.
    I have a netgear r7000 with a usb hard drive. netgear calls it readysheare. i use it to stream.
    my android equipment does see the hard drive
    what do i do for windows to see the usb hard drive
    i did not modify any of the services
    can i have someone's help

:)

exlaval, Sep 3, 2016

2. Shared usb devices on a router

Well, I figured I would try one more thing before I stop for the night. Turns out I had to create a Windows Credential for the address I of the usb devices.

After doing this, I was able to access my devices.

Microsoft support didn't even consider that as a possibility, just gave it a go and there it is. So, this is now resolved.

AllenBozic, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Shared usb devices on a router

I have a windows 7 pc that can access 2 usb drives attached to my wireless router. Now I have a new pc (windows 10), and when I try to access the drives, I get the following message:

"A specified logon session does not exist. It may have already been terminated"

I've tried just about every combination of things and no luck.. Has anyone out there resolved this issue? I see a lot of workarounds for windows vista and other, but nothing for windows 10.

Its nuts, I contacted Microsoft support, but absolutely no help there. Said there is nothing they can do for me. Seems like a very simple thing to do is to access a couple of usb storage devices to share files between computers connected to my router,
    but this seem to be too difficult for Microsoft to figure out.

AllenBozic, Sep 3, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

usb on router

Your windows 10 is not the latest version....that needs to be updated to version 1607 OS build 14393.105, unless you are on the insider program which is what it looks like you're using. In that case the preview builds that the insiders use are unstable and buggy. This may be the underlying issue in your case.

Plankton, Sep 3, 2016
  5. exlaval Win User
    insider program -- 1607 - build 14915.1000
    indeed insider.
    how to i send my feedback about this type of bug?

exlaval, Sep 3, 2016
  6. Winuser Win User
    Use the Feedback Hub in the Start - All Programs menu.

Winuser, Sep 3, 2016
  7. Insider program means you are meant to have these types of bugs. You have the version given to companies to prepare their own hardware accessories for upcoming Windows updates. Netgear got the update Windows at the same time you did and thus have had no time to make a fix yet.

You can report the issue to Netgear support, (I recommend trying to get someone senior via email) but I wouldn't expect the techs that would actually receive your report to be able to help you until that beta gets released. Netgear are too big to hand out untested code like that. As soon as it works safely it would ship anyway.

Of course, by the time that happens there will be a new Insider Update and it may well break something else. This is why they are bad for most people.

StarEmpire, Sep 3, 2016
  8. Grizzly Win User

usb on router

do you even have the USB control center installed??

never mind. it seems to work only for printers....

Grizzly, Sep 3, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello exlaval. and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm using a similar setup with the Netgear R8000 and a MyBook USB drive connected to the router.

If ReadySHARE is still setup properly on the router, then you might see if you may be able to map the drive in Windows 10. Manually enter the "share name" from the router when mapping, and check the Connect using different credentials box to enter the router's sign-in credentials again.

Map Network Drive in Windows 10

usb on router [​IMG]

Brink, Sep 3, 2016
  10. exlaval Win User
    please excuse my numbness, just had hip surgery and my brain lobes are just not connecting
    yes, the drive is properly setup in the router, but for the life of me i just don't see where the map the drive is
    the description in my router page is identical to yours,
    please point me to the "map the drive" is, again sorry if i look numb,

exlaval, Sep 5, 2016
  11. exlaval Win User
    i tried the map the drive and i got this error message
    the mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred
    a specified logon session does not exist. It may have already been terminated.
    i strike out once again, can you help
    much appreciated

exlaval, Sep 5, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No worries. *Smile

Did you use the same type of share name for your drive at step 5 below, and entered the same credentials at step 6 you use to log in to your router?

Brink, Sep 5, 2016
  13. exlaval Win User

usb on router

readyshare does not even show in the credentials, and forgive me again but i don't know how to go about setting them up
    sorry to say but in my 40 odd years of having worked with and around pc's , networking was never my strong field
    btw and if i did not mention this, i started working with computer way back in early 1970's before the pc even existed, yes this gives me an age of app 70+ so i appreciate your patience in this step by step help
    truly appreciated
    also when i tried to map the drive, most of the letters where greyed up
    thank you

exlaval, Sep 6, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's ok.

When you get to step 5 in OPTION ONE below, you can manually type the "share name" of the readyshare drive like in the screenshot under step 5. You can get the "share name" from your router's ReadyShare setup page.

Please feel free to let me know at any step below you are having trouble with.

Brink, Sep 6, 2016
  15. exlaval Win User
    in map a drive i select the drive as showing in Netgear readyshare (t)
    then i have either an option to enter the drive name or browse
    1) in browse i see a box with Network and nothing underneath
    2) if a type \\READYSHARE - only identical as i the router name - windows does not recognize the name
    3) if i type the drive name - it also is not recognized
    4) if i type \\READYSHARE\XXXXX as is in the router's indication, -= it also shows as not recognized
    basically it looks as though i am not connected in any network at all
    much appreciated

exlaval, Sep 7, 2016
Thema:

usb on router

1. usb on router - Similar Threads - usb router

2. Windows 11 update - router USB drive not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update - router USB drive not found: Router USB device has disappeared from network- cannot re connect - ok on other devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-update-router-usb-drive-not-found/c452c1de-f59c-4b23-866c-8635b071f138
  3. Windows 11 update - router USB drive not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update - router USB drive not found: Router USB device has disappeared from network- cannot re connect - ok on other devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-update-router-usb-drive-not-found/c452c1de-f59c-4b23-866c-8635b071f138
  4. Setting up a usb drive on asus router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a usb drive on asus router: I have setup a usb drive on an asus router rt-ax86uI can get to the usb drive "Network> RT-AX86U-9E08> Staging" from explorer screen capture attachedAccessing "Staging" Win asks for network credentialsI've entered every possible correct credentialsWin gives error every timeIn...
  5. Setting up a usb drive on asus router

Setting up a usb drive on asus router: I have setup a usb drive on an asus router rt-ax86uI can get to the usb drive "Network> RT-AX86U-9E08> Staging" from explorer screen capture attachedAccessing "Staging" Win asks for network credentialsI've entered every possible correct credentialsWin gives error every timeIn...
  6. Windows 11 Doesn't Stream From a Router USB Drive

Windows 11 Doesn't Stream From a Router USB Drive: With Win10 machine, or Smart TV I can access USB drive plugged into my wireless router to stream videos. With Windows 11, it first copies a video file to a temp folder and only then I can play a video. Any way to stream on Win11 without copying file locally?...just like on...
  7. Windows 11 Doesn't Stream From a Router USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Doesn't Stream From a Router USB Drive: With Win10 machine, or Smart TV I can access USB drive plugged into my wireless router to stream videos. With Windows 11, it first copies a video file to a temp folder and only then I can play a video. Any way to stream on Win11 without copying file locally?...just like on...
  8. Problem with USB wireless adapter connecting to my router on windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with USB wireless adapter connecting to my router on windows 8.1: Hello,I have brought a new USB wireless adapter to connect to the internet on windows 8.1, the issue is that the wireless signal is not very strong up stairs, so I use a WiFi adapter to boost the signal, the issue is that the the USB adapter has problems connecting to the...
  9. Problem with USB wireless adapter connecting to my router on windows 8.1

Problem with USB wireless adapter connecting to my router on windows 8.1: Hello,I have brought a new USB wireless adapter to connect to the internet on windows 8.1, the issue is that the wireless signal is not very strong up stairs, so I use a WiFi adapter to boost the signal, the issue is that the the USB adapter has problems connecting to the...
  10. Map network USB drives connected to my D link router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Map network USB drives connected to my D link router: OK, like the title says I can't get my two USB drives to show up on my new 10 Pro 64 box we just built. It sees my win7 ultimate box fine and all it's shares and my 7 box still sees the USB drives. My old 10 box with a I74960x saw the mapped drives too but this box refuses to...