Windows 10: USB Recovery Drive MS instructions different than Tens Forum

Discus and support USB Recovery Drive MS instructions different than Tens Forum in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I went through Surface Book warranty to find the factory image. It is a three step process and the last step creates a Recovery USB Drive in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Shawn, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Shawn Win User

USB Recovery Drive MS instructions different than Tens Forum

I went through Surface Book warranty to find the factory image. It is a three step process and the last step creates a Recovery USB Drive in a different manner than TensForum recommends (and different from their own support elsewhere). When the image is downloaded, the instructions state that files from there should be copied to the Recovery USB drive as the last step. But the specified folder does not exist ("recovery image folder"). Here is the link. Here is the screen shot:

USB Recovery Drive MS instructions different than Tens Forum [​IMG]

Should I ignore these instructions and use TensForum version? Will the Recovery USB work with the zipped image I downloaded?

thanks,

:)

Shawn, Nov 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 error msg: We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occured while creating the recovery drive.

When one reads the Windows instructions for creating a recovery drive, inserting the USB comes after starting the the recovery drive program. In my case the 'Can't create a recovery drive' message appears even before a USB flash drive is inserted. The
    size of the USB has no bearing on the failure it seems. As I previously reported, I have tried different sizes of USB, inserting them before entering the recovery drive program, but it always ends in failure unless I uncheck the system backup box.

GordonTate, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Martmcd Win User
    How to reset the computer to factory settings in windows 10?

In windows 10

press the windows key

type recovery

click on create a recovery drive

follow the instructions to create a usb recovery drive

to restore, boot from the recovery drive and follow the on screen instructions

Martmcd, Nov 30, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Shawn, *Smile

It would be recommended to use the steps provided above specifically for the Surface Book.

The steps below are basically the same as above, but Microsoft provides a separate recovery image file to use with Surface Book instead of using the Back up system files to the recovery drive option while creating the recovery drive.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Nov 30, 2016
  5. Shawn Win User
    Thank you Brink. Nevertheless, I cannot find this "recovery image folder" in the image zip that they want me to copy. There is a bunch of language folders, a boot folder and other boot files (see below). I ended up copying everything over to the USB stick. I rebooted to the USB and it booted to the repair menus but beyond that I do not know if it is all working.

USB Recovery Drive MS instructions different than Tens Forum [​IMG]

Shawn, Nov 30, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Technically you would only need to use the downloaded recovery image file if there was something wrong with the image file on your PC and the Back up system files to the recovery drive option fails.

The steps from MS say to copy all the files from inside the downloaded .zip file to the USB recovery drive, and select to replace the files on the USB when prompted.

Brink, Nov 30, 2016
  7. Shawn Win User
    thank you. I read "files" as "some" not "all".

Shawn, Nov 30, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Recovery Drive MS instructions different than Tens Forum - Similar Threads - USB Recovery Drive

2. Joining windows 11 forums with same login for ten forums?

in Windows 10 Support
    Joining windows 11 forums with same login for ten forums?: I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11 when it is ready and have been to the eleven forum. Will I need to make a new account to log in or is my same account for ten forums fine to use to log in with? I am interested in what all have to say and tutorials for windows 11, so...
  3. How to Delete a Ten Forums Post

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Delete a Ten Forums Post: Due to an issue with certain information (related to security) that I included in a previous post, I was asked to delete the post. I have tried in vain to find a 'Delete' or 'Cancel' button. Can someone please advise how I can delete a post from Ten Forums. Thanks 181375
  4. AVG ten forums

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AVG ten forums: on my laptop and decided to look in the forum. Forum opens on screen but as soon as I want a page this happens. (Image) so I have uninstalled AVG Free. 159801
  5. Problems with ten forums editor

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with ten forums editor: I love the content on ten forums. But the web software to compose and reply to messages is very frustrating! I am using the WYSIWYG editor. In no particular order, here are my recent issues: 1) blank lines--why do I need to have 3 blank lines in the editor pane to produce...
  6. Ten Forums backend software name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Ten Forums backend software name?: Hey guys, Tenforums is running on which forum based software like mybb, vbulletin? Regards. 123913
  7. Error on Ten Forums IPhone App

in Windows 10 Support
    Error on Ten Forums IPhone App: Didn’t know what forum to post to. Getting attached page when opening the app on my iPhone 6. Have latest IOS version installed. 116817
  8. Thank You Ten Forums...

in Windows 10 Support
    Thank You Ten Forums...: i've gone far too long without thanking tenforums for being the tremendous resource that it is, in fact i can't imagine using windows 10 without having this fantastic site to lean on, and instead having to depend on the "official" site that points to scannow and dism as the...
  9. Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members: *YouTube video player Read more: Windows 10 Tutorials [/quote] It's easy: give a one liner about what the video will show, post the video under it and add a link to a TenForums.com tutorial or sticky if available. No long stories about how you had a dream where the...
  10. System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums: How to: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums How to Fill in your System Specs at Ten Forums [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to fill out your system specs at Ten Forums which will enable other members to assist you more quickly and efficiently....