Windows 10: USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder

Discus and support USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good morning, I hope someone can help me with the problem. I get the following errors when connecting any USB storage to my laptop: You don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zambeezi, Sep 24, 2017.

1. zambeezi Win User

USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder

Good morning,

I hope someone can help me with the problem.

I get the following errors when connecting any USB storage to my laptop: You don't currently have permission to access this folder & You have been denied permission to access this folder.

When I got my new work laptop I was able to copy all my work from the old laptop to an USB drive and then copied it onto the new laptop. I used the USB drive a few times afterwards but then it just stopped "working". Everyone else can use the USB drive and it works just fine. At first I thought it's just that particular drive but I recently went on a training course and had the same issue with their USB sticks. I then tried one of my own USB sticks and had the same issue. I ran out of ideas...

USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder [​IMG]

:)

zambeezi, Sep 24, 2017

2. You don't currently have permission to access this folder

Try the administrator's way:

• Log on under an admin account.
    • Create a desktop shortcut for cmd.exe.
    • Left-click this shortcut, then right-click Run as administrator.
    • Accept the challenge.
    • Type these commands and press Enter after each:

takeown /F D:\ /R

cacls D:\ /T /C /G everyone:F

(answer Yes when asked "Are you sure?")

Frederik Long, Sep 24, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Sep 24, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I think the word 'work' may be key here. Ask you IT dept. if they have recently changed the Group Policy 'All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'.

5. Gordon7 Win User
    It is a common problem for many windows 10 owners, some off the problems can be caused by your Anti Virus software
    and others can be caused by a security app, that was installed on your PC at some time, maybe by the OEM.

Try to open the drive in File Explorer by double-click on it in the right pane of Explorer, then in the left pane right-click
    on a file > choose properties > open the security tab (permissions) > click on your account name > see if you have the
    right to read & write to the file - ?

Others have solved the problem like this:

Here are some link's to Microsoft about same problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...peScope=#////1

Gordon7, Sep 24, 2017
  6. zambeezi Win User
    A couple of us got issued the same laptops on the same day... they don't have any issues at all. I did contact IT support but since it's external USB storage they don't cover it.

zambeezi, Sep 24, 2017
  7. zambeezi Win User
    Thank you, I'll have a read through the threads.

zambeezi, Sep 24, 2017
  8. Gordon7 Win User

Gordon7, Sep 24, 2017
  9. zambeezi Win User
    zambeezi, Sep 24, 2017
  10. zambeezi Win User
    @Gordon7 - Thank you for the link, unfortunately my settings menu does not have that setting...

zambeezi, Sep 25, 2017
  11. werby Win User
    As Bree's mentioned, you may check in Group Policy if ''All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'' is enabled.

If you already use or can create an "Administrator" user account you may follow this:
    To access Group Policy console open "Run" (Win+R), type in gpedit.msc and hit "Enter".

Then go to "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" looking for All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access and check its status.
    Default setting is "Not Configured" which covers common use.

Also, do the same for ''User Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" settings.

werby, Sep 25, 2017
  12. zambeezi Win User
    Thank you for the reply... I've looked and in both cases it set to default (not configured).

zambeezi, Sep 26, 2017
  13. werby Win User

So, is this an issue or any of your company restrictions?

werby, Sep 26, 2017
  14. AndreTen Win User
    Check BIOS (UEFI) settings for security. Access to USB drives could be locked.

AndreTen, Sep 26, 2017
  15. zambeezi Win User
    HP CLIENT SECURITY was blocking USB devices... must have happened during an update.

Thank you all for the advice!

zambeezi, Sep 26, 2017
Thema:

1. USB storage: You don't currently have permission to access this folder - Similar Threads - USB storage don't

2. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Can't open folder A message appears as shown in the picture. Tried to find a way and came to pictures 3 and 4. It's not like other people at all....
  3. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Can't open folder A message appears as shown in the picture. Tried to find a way and came to pictures 3 and 4. It's not like other people at all....
  4. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Hello! Please help me. I can't open any file in my Local D:\ It says You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Interesting enough. I only have one account and It is adminisator....
  5. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: Hello! Please help me. I can't open any file in my Local D:\ It says You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Interesting enough. I only have one account and It is adminisator....
  6. "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't currently have permission to access this folder": Hi there, I just recently bought a new pc and it has an SSD as the main drive for windows and I also have a secondary 1tb drive that I have been installing other large applications such as games and other software on. Somehow along the way a folder titled "Windows Apps" got...
  7. You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't currently have permission to access this folder.: OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 [ATTACH] The folder enable folder sharing, and I can read it at the network drive. However, my administrator account lost the folder access rightYou don't currently have permission to access this folder. How to access the folder and get the...
  8. "You don't currently have permission to access this folder."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "You don't currently have permission to access this folder.": I changed my SSD a couple of months and recently realized that I needed a file from my old SSD, but every time I try to access the folder. I get this error: https://i.imgur.com/x0kJnP8.png I googled the issue and followed all the steps on this page:...
  9. you don't currently have permission to access this folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    you don't currently have permission to access this folder: The popup tells me this. Then it says click continue to get access to this folder. So I click continue. Then it says you have been denied access to this folder. Seriously. Then it takes me to this other screen and I don't know what to pick to get access to that folder....
  10. "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"....

in Windows 10 Support
    "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"....: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder".... I had this problem before and solved it by right clicking the affected folder , choosing the security tab and so acquiring total control. But this time is going on with J:\ drive that is my smartphone´s SD...