Windows 10: USB system recovery creation started failing

Discus and support USB system recovery creation started failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm getting errors: "We can't create a recovery drive" and "Some required files are missing" It might have to do with me enabling VM technology... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Thomas Jr, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Thomas Jr Win User

USB system recovery creation started failing

Hi, I'm getting errors: "We can't create a recovery drive" and "Some required files are missing"

It might have to do with me enabling VM technology on the BIOS, or with the fact I was so annoyed by one perhaps automatic windows update that wouldn't let the computer shutdown as usual (I had no notice windows would try to update the system or something like that).

To me it was a very usual computer turn off day, but then it hung, I thought it was cause of some open Notepad file I hadn't saved, so I just hit the power button to shut down.

It's possible it's the latter, but since that day I interrupted one, another automatic windows update has run successfully.

Thoughts?

:)

Thomas Jr, Nov 20, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

3. Create a recovery drive fails

I have tried everything suggested here. I have searched other forums and read literally hundreds of comments the same as mine.

Creating a recovery USB drive seems impossible on my system if I use the 'copy system files' option. There is never an error message to research, just a single sentence saying the creation failed.

RogerMannon, Nov 20, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. USB system recovery creation started failing - Similar Threads - USB system recovery

2. System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working: OK I’m not a very good computer user so when answering please try to make it so I can understand. OK I had a Drive with Windows 11 on it and I had an SSD drive with Rokie Linux installed on it. I wanted to do windows recovery and I put my recovery, USB drive and booted up and...
  3. System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working: OK I’m not a very good computer user so when answering please try to make it so I can understand. OK I had a Drive with Windows 11 on it and I had an SSD drive with Rokie Linux installed on it. I wanted to do windows recovery and I put my recovery, USB drive and booted up and...
  4. USB: Recovery Drive Creation Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB: Recovery Drive Creation Failed: Hi, I have- Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2,- OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  5. USB Recovery Drive creation failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Recovery Drive creation failed: Hi, I have - Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2, - OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  6. USB: Recovery Drive Creation Failed

USB: Recovery Drive Creation Failed: Hi, I have- Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2,- OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  7. USB Recovery Drive creation failed

USB Recovery Drive creation failed: Hi, I have - Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2, - OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  8. BIOS USB Recovery creation fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BIOS USB Recovery creation fails: Windows 11 HP Desktop AMD 2021 Model # S01-aF0134z. The BIOS has failed. I am using a secondary PC to create a HP BIOS USB Recovery stick, but it is not working. I downloaded the BIOS update .exe file from HP website, using the serial number of the HP Desktop. When I open...
  9. BIOS USB Recovery creation fails

BIOS USB Recovery creation fails: Windows 11 HP Desktop AMD 2021 Model # S01-aF0134z. The BIOS has failed. I am using a secondary PC to create a HP BIOS USB Recovery stick, but it is not working. I downloaded the BIOS update .exe file from HP website, using the serial number of the HP Desktop. When I open...
  10. Fail to boot into windows10 creation usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fail to boot into windows10 creation usb: Hi I'm trying to fresh install windows 10 on a new samsung ssd for an old pc with Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H motherboard. I created the usb installation media and verified that it worked on another newer Dell pc. But when used on the target PC above, after choosing boot from...