Windows 10: User settings changed and programs not opening in Windows 10

Discus and support User settings changed and programs not opening in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 laptop was working perfectly when I shutdown yesterday and when I booted up today all taskbar icons are missing and certain programs do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Martinvg, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Martinvg Win User

User settings changed and programs not opening in Windows 10

My Windows 10 laptop was working perfectly when I shutdown yesterday and when I booted up today all taskbar icons are missing and certain programs do not initialise on startup or cannot be opened because files are missing or paths do not exist. I have done restores using different restore points but nothing works.
    Can anyone please, please advise me on how to fix this problem?

:)

Martinvg, Apr 22, 2016

2. PDF READER WINDOWS 10

Changing the Open with or the Default program will correct the PDF association until the next time a user opens a WinZip file. Then the association is automatically changed back to Edge and the user has to change the
    Open with or the Default program again. In a business setting this is highly frustrating because users are required to open WinZip files frequently and then change their default PDF program back each time. In our office we
    use:

Windows 10 Pro version 1607

Adobe Acrobat X Standard or Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard

WinZip 16.0

Edge is simply a PDF reader and our office requires a "writer" program. Edge would be useful if it offered the same functionality as Adobe, such as, the ability to add comments, high-light text, use a typewriter feature, insert and extract pages.

LMorganL&A, Apr 22, 2016
  3. settings and make changes to my account in pc seetings

Hi,

I just installed windows 10. I tried to create a 4-digit PIN logon like I had on the windows 8.1, but it doesn't work. When I press "settings" in the start menu, it fails to open. A window opens but shuts down again before even opening. This happens over
    and over. When I go to control panel in user accounts and press "make changes to my account in PC settings" the same things happens. A window is about to open but shuts down before it opens. When I press "change user account control settings" it asks me if
    I allow the program to make changes to my harddrive, I press okay and nothing happens again. Are all these things normal or is something wrong?

julia_samokhvalova, Apr 22, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Try one or more of these TenForums tutorials to repair your Windows 10 installation:

How to Run SFC Command to Repair System Files in Windows 10

DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image

If neither of those works, you may have to restore from a previous image (if you have one) or perform an in-place upgrade install to repair your damaged Windows installation. Please keep us posted and we'll help you get this figured out and fixed.
    Good luck!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 22, 2016
  5. Martinvg Win User
    Thanks Ed. I've tried the DISM option now and it gives this message below. I've also attached the DISM log file

C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

Martinvg, Apr 22, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    If you find a good working installation of the same language (probably [en-US] in your case) and "bittedness" (x86 or x64, which is 32- or 64-bit). You can copy the %windir%\WinSXS directly and use that for your source. This must come from a machine where both SFC and DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth return a clean bill of health. If you have access to such it should work. Use the path to your copied WinSXS folder as the argument for /source and you're good to go.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 23, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    If you don't mind doing it in a slightly different way.........................

Use this tech bench link to download your edition of Windows 10 iso file:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/soft...load/techbench
    Make sure you do select the same Win 10 edition, language and bit version as your computer is now running.

Once you have the iso downloaded, right click at the ISO > click Mount > leave it there.
    Then open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste this................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

When it is completed, you should get the report that the operation is successful.
    Now run the sfc /scannow again. It should be ok this time.

davidhk, Apr 23, 2016
  8. Martinvg Win User

I have done the last step you described and the sfc /scannow came back without errors but I still couldn't start any of my programs like Outlook or Skype so I went to "Reset PC" and completed this which kept my files but removed all apps and programs. Now I am trying to re-install everything but each time the installation fails and gives me a message that says the drive J is full. It seems to keep trying to install to the J drive I mounted with the .iso Windows 10 file. I managed to install MS Office but it doesn't show up in apps to launch it. I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Martinvg, Apr 24, 2016
  9. Martinvg Win User
    Hello Ed, just wanted to let you know that I eventually had to perform a clean install of Windows 10 to solve my problems. Everthing is working OK again although I've had to re-install all my programs again.

Martinvg, Apr 25, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Nice to know you have finally solved the problem.

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
  11. Martinvg Win User
    Hello David
    I seem to be almost back where I started again because although my PC is not in as a bad a state as the previous time, there are some strange things going on such as:
    Not able to install updates
    When right clicking on a file or folder and selecting properties, the properties dialogue doesn't show up
    Not showing program association icons for files folders or shortcuts on desktop
    I have tried to do the DISM restore health but it keeps coming back with the message that the source folder could not be found.
    I've attached the DISM log files here and hopefully you have some advice for me please.

Martinvg, Apr 29, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    ..................I have tried to do the DISM restore health but it keeps coming back with the message that the source folder could not be found.

Go back to my reply Post #5.

davidhk, Apr 29, 2016
  13. Martinvg Win User

OK, the problem I have with that is I don't have the Mount option on a right click. I've tried using the ESD to ISO tool from one of Ten Forums other tutorials but it tells me that it doesn't find all the files only 4 out of 5. How can I mount the iso file that is on my desktop?

Martinvg, Apr 29, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    This tutorial is to enable the Mount option
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

However I asked you to use the method I posted in post #5.
    Why didn't you follow it ?

You apparently have problem using the ESD to ISO tool. So better that you use my method.

davidhk, Apr 29, 2016
  15. Martinvg Win User
    Sorry David, I see that. I obviously wasn't concentrating......... OK, I've mounted it now and am running that command

Martinvg, Apr 29, 2016
Thema:

1. User settings changed and programs not opening in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - User settings changed

2. Change User Name" Not Appearing as Option in Windows 10 User Setting/and does no

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change User Name" Not Appearing as Option in Windows 10 User Setting/and does no: I'm the administrator for my PC and yet when I go to "User Accounts" and select my profile there is nothing in the place that should read "Change User Name." I can't change my user name on this PC.I read online I should try to use the "Configure advanced user profile...
  3. change availability of installed program for other users in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    change availability of installed program for other users in windows 10: I installed some programs as adminthe only user created at that time. Later I created one more standard non-admin user. Now these programs are by default available for later user also. I want to make some of the programs completely unavailable for this later user such that...
  4. uninstall or change a program is not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    uninstall or change a program is not opening: I'm trying to open " uninstall or change a program " through the quick access ribbon in 'This PC ' but its not working. plz help! i'm sharing a video link of that problem, i had record it. here is the link : https://youtu.be/_DB4_0pR10I...
  5. How to open and change Printer settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open and change Printer settings in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Whether you’re printing a single document or multiple documents from a program on Windows 10, you will have to configure the print settings first. The Printer Settings page in Windows 10 allows you to configure different options like the paper [...] This...
  6. Program windows default opening settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    Program windows default opening settings?: Seem to be getting new behaviour. Programs and folders are opening in a consistent central position and size. That persists however I then close and re-open. I'm pretty sure they used to re-appear wherever I last positioned them. I thought it might be down to...
  7. Change user settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user settings: Im on windows 10 pro but my area manager has put her as standard user when set up and now when i start up i cant put myself on. It seems as because this is the only option to sign in, it wont let me change user type as this is restricted. The family and other user option is...
  8. Change user settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user settings: Im on windows 10 pro but my area manager has put her as standard user when set up and now when i start up i cant put myself on. It seems as because this is the only option to sign in, it wont let me change user type as this is restricted. The family and other user option is...
  9. Change Power Settings based on Open Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Power Settings based on Open Programs: Hey gusy, I have windows 10 and am wondering if i can change power settings. Such as if i have my NAS software open, not to go to sleep. Or if i hvae google chrome open not to go to sleep, however if these are not open to go to sleep after 1 hour. Thank you, 115567
  10. Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10: How to: Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10 How to Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10 [img] Information Universal Windows apps (formally called modern apps) can now be opened in resizable windows on your desktop like any other app now in...