Windows 10: Using Backup

Discus and support Using Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; When choosing a folder in*the 'Backup these folders' section in Windows Backup, does Windows backup the subfolders within the folder? James 85200 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JamesJoey, May 23, 2017.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Using Backup

When choosing a folder in*the 'Backup these folders' section in Windows Backup, does Windows backup the subfolders within the folder?

James

:)

JamesJoey, May 23, 2017

2. In using the Windows History backup, if I backup C:/Users do I also have to choose My Documents, My Pictures, etc.?

In using the Windows History backup, if I backup C:/Users do I also have to choose My Documents, My Pictures, etc.?

I have been doing both and it seems as though this might be a waste.

Lewis D. Eigen, May 23, 2017
  3. In using the Windows History backup, if I backup C:/Users do I also have to choose My Documents, My Pictures, etc.?

Thanks, I will do that too, but the History File is really convenient if it works

Lewis D. Eigen, May 23, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Using Backup

Is your objective to create a full recovery environment or just backup selected folders? If you are looking to create a full recovery environment, I would recommend you use the "create a system image" option instead:

Using Backup [​IMG]

However, an even better option would be to just switch to Macrium Reflect Free and use that instead:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

One of our forum members has created a great tutorial for using it as well:
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

5. JamesJoey Win User
    I just want to backup certain folders.
    That's why I was asking about the folder selection.

JamesJoey, May 23, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    @WOT has described using Backup & Restore (Windows 7). You may have been asking about File History. If so, the answer is yes, for all folders selected for backup all the subfolders will be backed up as well, unless you specifically exclude them.

Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10

7. JamesJoey Win User
    Yes, File History, that's it.
    I'm a bit new to Windows backup.

Great. Now I don't need to select all the subfolders.

Thanks much,
    James

JamesJoey, May 23, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Using Backup

File History is simple to use. Just set it up and forget it, it works away in the background without you noticing.

But backing up your documents is just part of the story. A system image of the whole of your PC allows you to replace the drive should it fail and restore a complete working system just as it was before, complete with all your installed apps. There's a built-in 'make a system image' in 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)'. But most on this forum recommend Macrium Reflect as a more reliable solution. When you have time, look at the tutorial that @WOT gave a link for.

You can never have enough backups *Smile

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Using Backup

1. Using Backup - Similar Threads - Using Backup

2. Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?: I don't really use OneDrive, so I thought of using the "Create a restore point" service to back up my files. Will this be a good alternative, though?...
  3. Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?: I don't really use OneDrive, so I thought of using the "Create a restore point" service to back up my files. Will this be a good alternative, though?...
  4. Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I combine a disk that was used for system backup into one disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I combine a disk that was used for system backup into one disk?: I have s dis that was used for a System Backup and I want to remove all Recovery partitions and make one diskI know how to extend partitions, but I have no Idea what must be done in this instance to make one Basic Data Partition. Any help would be greatly ap-preciated....
  6. How do I combine a disk that was used for system backup into one disk?

How do I combine a disk that was used for system backup into one disk?: I have s dis that was used for a System Backup and I want to remove all Recovery partitions and make one diskI know how to extend partitions, but I have no Idea what must be done in this instance to make one Basic Data Partition. Any help would be greatly ap-preciated....
  7. Switch to win 11: use backup to OneDrive only for C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch to win 11: use backup to OneDrive only for C drive: I want to prepare for switching to Win 11. Using Windows Backup seems useful in order to get all the settings back. I have an SSD with Windows on it. All my data files and photos are on my other two hdds, which are partitioned. When I open Backup and click on Folders, all...
  8. Switch to win 11: use backup to OneDrive only for C drive

Switch to win 11: use backup to OneDrive only for C drive: I want to prepare for switching to Win 11. Using Windows Backup seems useful in order to get all the settings back. I have an SSD with Windows on it. All my data files and photos are on my other two hdds, which are partitioned. When I open Backup and click on Folders, all...
  9. Switch to win 11: use backup to OneDrive only for C drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...