Windows 10: Using UAC and Administrator vs. Standard

Discus and support Using UAC and Administrator vs. Standard in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Assuming using Windows 101909 and that UAC is enabled to highest level meaning always notify, what benefits are there if I additionally use the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jack660, May 10, 2020.

1. Jack660 Win User

Using UAC and Administrator vs. Standard

Hi,

Assuming using Windows 101909 and that UAC is enabled to highest level meaning always notify, what benefits are there if I additionally use the system as a standard user? From what I understand, the only difference is that instead of just clicking "yes" on the dialog, I'll have to provide an administrator password, but programs will still be prevented from administrative actions without my consent because of UAC?

:)

Jack660, May 10, 2020

2. Any way to enable an admin password for UAC in windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps:

• Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button.
    • Then type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.

• Do one of the following:
    • To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click
      OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.
    • To turn on UAC, move the slider to choose when you want to be notified, and then click
      OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, May 10, 2020
  3. gvannucci Win User
    UAC & standard users with additional privileges

I am marking this problem as solved. The problem was:

Allow a standard user to enable/disable a network without having to enter a password every time.

My solution for Windows 7 was:

1. Add the standard user to the "Network Configuration Operators" group.
    2. Login as the standard user.
    3. Create a shortcut to the network adapter.
    4. Right-click on the shortcut to see or change the state of the network adapter.

I have received many useful and instructive suggestions on Tenforums. Based on those suggestions,
    here's my solution for Windows 10:

1. Add the standard user to the "Network Configuration Operators" group.
    2. Login as the standard user.
    3. In a cmd window, run this command
    netsh interface show interface
    to learn the name of the network adapter.
    4. Run Task Scheduler using the password of the standard user.
    5. Create two shortcuts in accordance with Option 2 in this tutorial:
    Elevated Shortcut without UAC - TenForumsTutorials
    -- at Step 3, name the shortcuts something like “EnableLAN” and “DisableLAN”
    -- at Step 7, in the Program/script field, type netsh
    -- at Step 8, into the Add arguments field, type
    interface set interface "name of network adapter" admin=enable
    (Make the last element “disable” for the second task.)
    -- at Step 14, name the shortcuts something like “Turn LAN On” and “Turn LAN Off”
    6. Press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog, type ncpa.cpl into Run, and click OK to open the Network Connections window. Keep this window open on your desktop to see the state of the network adapter. The color of the icon reflects the state of the adapter.
    7. Click on one or the other of the two newly-created shortcuts to change the state of the network adapter. A cmd window briefly flashes on the screen. This can be eliminated using the procedure mentioned by Try3 in a previous post, if desired.

The solution for Windows 10 is much more cumbersome than the solution for Windows 7. I have to stop using Windows 7 due to the end of Microsoft support, and this is not the first time that I find Windows 10 to be less user friendly than Windows 7.

Thanks, again, to all who have kindly given me help and advice

gvannucci, May 10, 2020
  4. Using UAC and Administrator vs. Standard

UAC not allowing software activation

Once again the so called support engineer did not even read the entire thread before posting yet another solution that did not do any good.

However, I was able to solve my situation without your help after all. My original question was how do I turn off UAC. the method suggested in this thread only turns the notifications for UAC off not the UAC itself. In order to turn off UAC completely,
    I went into the registry and turned it off there. After doing this, everything installed perfectly.

Here is a link to read about turning off UAC:

How to turn off and disable UAC in Windows 10

DISCLAMER: Making edits to the registry is EXTREMELY dangerous and could cause damage to your computer. Consult a trained professional with any questions.

DuckJammerCCC, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Using UAC and Administrator vs. Standard

1. Using UAC and Administrator vs. Standard - Similar Threads - Using UAC Administrator

2. UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin: In our domain, user accounts are not Admins and Admin accounts have no access to the internet. Brilliant right? Except it makes it troublesome to install that software that requires both Admin rights AND internet access with the same account. My work-around for this has been...
  3. Is it possible to remove UAC by using standard user account ?!

Is it possible to remove UAC by using standard user account ?!: i want to ask that becouse my father blocked my user acc from his admin accwhich password i dont know to installing things, so..... i want to know is their a possible way to do remove this from a user acc. Tnx in advance POV: Sry for my grammar, but im not english....
  4. Security practice - standard and admin - UAC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Security practice - standard and admin - UAC: Hi, It is a good security practice to have standard account as primary account and only use admin account when elevated access needed. Is this the same as when i just turn on “maximum” notifications through UAC. This means i get prompt/notification when: - Application...
  5. Owner vs Administrator

Owner vs Administrator: What is the difference between an "Owner" and "Administrator?" Are both needed? Can both be the same with same information? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/owner-vs-administrator/3ba2598d-00e6-4cf6-87b9-0bcc446597e9
  6. UAC & standard users with additional privileges

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC & standard users with additional privileges: I am using windows 10, version 1909 I am new to tenforums. I am also new to Windows 10. I am in the process of switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I joined tenforums because I have a problem with configuring Windows 10 that I am unable to solve on my own. Perhaps someone...
  7. UAC / Built-in administrator

UAC / Built-in administrator: Hi, (1) when I try to uninstall a program using control panel, UAC show 'to continue, enter an admin user name and password'. Where can I input the user name and password? (2) My login account is user. It seems that there is no active account with administrative privileges....
  8. UAC Settings & Administrative Messages

UAC Settings & Administrative Messages: Hi, Ever since the new windows 10 update, I have not been able to access the message that pop ups and allows you to grant access in saying yes or no. I have tried changing my UAC to never notify but still requires me to grant access as an administrative. The screen pops...
  9. uac and administrator permission

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    uac and administrator permission: Cannot get past UAC telling me I need. administrator permission. Getting into built-in admin has not worked. Everything I try that "wants/ needs to make changes on this system" I get this same message (needs permission) Really pulling my hair out. 46794
  10. Hide or Show Administrators in UAC for Standard Users in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Administrators in UAC for Standard Users in Windows: How to: Hide or Show Administrators in UAC for Standard Users in Windows How to Hide or Show Administrators in UAC prompt for Standard Users in Windows When administrator account before starting a program or task that requires a full administrator access token. This...