Windows 10: Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Discus and support Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having the same problem upgrading a friend's Win 7 PC. He has the same Win 7 version that I had. I used the same thumb drive on my computer to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mikepaterson, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Thanks, nice to know it is not just my friend's pc that has the issue!

mikepaterson, Aug 11, 2015

2. Hi,

I did not realise I had been at all vague, my apologies.

Unfortunately my neighbour now has his laptop back as I got nowhere. I have suggested he wait until the windows 10 upgrade system makes it available through windows update (it is in the queue).

As stated, I have tried running from the media created by the media creation tool to a USB (this is what I used to successfully upgrade my laptop and surface Pro). I have also run the media creation tool and opted for it to upgrade directly rather than save the files.

The operating system is Win7 Home premium OEM version. The key is valid and I re-validated it to be sure with the MS online actvation system. The laptop is 64-bit.

On each occasion it goes through the initial install steps and then gets to the screen where it asks for the product key.

On this screen there is no skip option and as the product key is not accepted, the only option is to cancel the install.

For some reason the upgrade seems to be taking a different path on this machine and does not give the skip option.

Regards
    Mike

3. Worked flawlessly on both my 8.1 systems, but not my friends win7 system.

4. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Thanks, It is not getting that far. It asks for the product key very early on, before it attempts the install.

Cheers,
    Mike

5. Thanks, I will try this when I next have the laptop.
    Cheers
    Mike

6. Thanks, This was correct.

Regards
    Mike

7. As me75006 pointed out. If it's Windows 7 Home Premium, you don't want to be trying to upgrade to 10 Pro. Which is what it sounds like you might have ended up doing. You need the 10 Home ISO. If I read what you posted correctly, you upgraded your PC's to 10 Pro, and then tried to use the same install media on your neighbors PC. & Home premium, I believe, only qualifies for 10 Home via the free upgrade. The Upgrade this PC now option of the Media Creation Tool should have figured that out automatically so I'm not sure why that didn't work?

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

1. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Valid Win7 Product

2. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  3. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  4. Product key Validation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Product key Validation: Have had this PC for ages & all of a sudden after turning on today a msg appears in the bottom right corner "This copy of windows is not genuine",Windows7 build 7601. In the System prop where your product Key is Activate Windows. The problem is why after using this PC...
  5. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  6. Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro product key not accepted: I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key under Activation, the product key is not accepted. "The product key you entered didn't work"....
  7. product key valid?

product key valid?: f I purchase Windows 7 how long is the product key valid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-valid/8fab35f1-2e59-4602-b007-b12c0799488f"
  8. Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message

Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message: Im trying to upgrade from win 7 to win10 getting error message: Installation unable to validate product key Thank you... [Moved from: Windows 10 / Licensing & activation]...
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key

Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key: Good morning all, I am trying to upgrade one of our Laptops in our lab to Windows 10 Pro. It currently has Windows 7 Pro on it, and when I attempt to use the DVD copy I burned I am getting the dreaded "Setup has failed to validate the product key". I went back to my...
  10. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10: I started the upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to 10. I entered the product key, but get the message "Product Key didn't work". I have repeated this several times - I have the original disk & label, checked the key is correct via Belarc Advisor, have a message from Microsoft...