Windows 10: w 10 font sizing

Discus and support w 10 font sizing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Once upon a time, Windows had, in the display settings, the facility to change the font sizing. This is now not the case - the only facility now is to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jplx, Mar 24, 2018.

1. jplx Win User

w 10 font sizing

Once upon a time, Windows had, in the display settings, the facility to change the font sizing. This is now not the case - the only facility now is to increase the entire screen size to 150%, 175%, etc.

I DO NOT want to increase the whole screen size, I just want to increase the FONTS only, so as to make them readable to my level of vision.

WHY has this most handy and necessary facility being removed???

How can those who make these changes not be mindful of the fact that must be users out there with different levels of vision, and that to many, the tiny default font size is totally illegible, and that blowing the screen size out to 175% is also most unacceptable?

Don't they think these things through ? For product (w10) that describes itself as the worlds most handiest tool, this is plain RIDICULOUS!!!

Is there any way that I can increase JUST the font size, like I used to be able to do in early versions of Windows?

Yes, i know there are various 3rd party programs that can be downloaded, but simply put, they DO NOT work very well at all, and cause more additional problems than they are worth.

I would REALLY like to know the logic behind the removal of this ability from Display settings. How did this benefit the user ???????

:)

2. AOL Font size change

I have seen questions posted about the font size in AOL. I have gone to display settings and can increase and decrease font settings for Win 10. But, when I open up AOL account the font size is to small and I cannot increase the size either w/ the font
    setting in AOL or display settings in Win 10. This is a new computer so does anyone know how to increase the font size in AOL?

GaryHansonGH, Mar 24, 2018
  3. dlff Win User
    FONT MAGNIFIER NEEDED ON AN N9

I don't know if u can increase the size of the Font. I think w/ the latest update the Font size has been increased by default. Maybe we have to wait for a developer to come out w/ a Font size magnifier to do that. Whatever it is IMHO, the N9 is a much
    better phone than the 800 Lumia / Window OS phone.

4. w 10 font sizing

Masterchiefxx17, Mar 24, 2018
  5. sgage Win User
    There is an area of the registry where you can change various font sizes. However, this only works for 'Desktop Apps', i.e., win32 programs. As far as i know, there is no way to change the size of UWP fonts, which means, in a nutshell. I can not use UWP apps. Worst of all is Edge, with teeny tiny fonts that I simply can't read in the evening after a long day. So Edge is out for me until this is addressed. I've given feedback on this for years, but crickets.

In case you're interested, here's the relevant registry key. Be advised that smaller numbers give larger fonts. Try putting in ec or ea or so for the f1's, and see what you think. You can adust different fonts separately. You'll have to log out/in for this to take effect. Also, major updates will take these out. Changing the scaling will also take out your tweaks. I made a .reg file to simplify the process. So, here's the key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

I run at 125% scaling wth tweaks to this registry area, and I can at least use Desktop Apps now, which is mostly what i use anyway.

sgage, Mar 25, 2018
  6. jplx Win User
    Thanks. It's not just the icon text size I want to increase, but all text.

7. jplx Win User
    Firstly, I am reticent to muck around with the registry, because my level of skill in these things is quite basic.
    But it's a moot point anyway, because as you said, all major updates will take these out .. which is what happens now with the third party program I have running.

It's just pathetic isn't it? They had the facility to very suitably permanently fix this in previous W versions, but now they have removed it. Like you, I more often than not can't use my computer in the evenings.
    How on earth can they believe that this is a good thing for the millions of users in the same boat?
    And more, WHY, WHY, WHY have they done this?
    Am I able to actually address this with at any official Microsoft / W10 site ?

8. Edwin New Member

w 10 font sizing

That particular page is just for Icons, the other element pages are listed at the bottom:

w 10 font sizing [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 25, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 25, 2018
  10. jplx Win User
    Do you suppose that it will revert to default once a W10 update is done ? This certainly is the case with the third party app as discussed earlier, and it seems to me that that app is just an overlay on the above.

If so, it is hardly worth the effort to have to re-do it all the time.

Incidentally, there are other occasions when it reverts to default, such as when there's a power cut off and the machine doesn't shut down properly, or when a 'power up' is done whilst the machine is in sleep mode, ie, thinking it was completely powered down, and therefore hitting the power button (instead of any key or the mouse) to start / wake it.

11. jplx Win User
    Hi Brink, yes, I like Arial and use it in all my typing. Will see how I go and possibly try this. I wonder if that too will be subject to the reversion to default (as per my previous post).

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    jplx,

You can use that along with what MasterChief posted to change only the font and text size.

However, all system settings could be subject to being reset back to default after a new build update.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

w 10 font sizing

1. w 10 font sizing - Similar Threads - font sizing

2. How do I increase the font size of my dialogue boxes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I increase the font size of my dialogue boxes?: Hi,I am using Windows 11. How do I increase the font size of my dialogue boxes? They are too small to read. I have set the scale settings to 150% and increase the text size of my display settings but these methods does not change the text size of the dialogue boxes at all....
  3. How do I increase the font size of my dialogue boxes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I increase the font size of my dialogue boxes?: Hi,I am using Windows 11. How do I increase the font size of my dialogue boxes? They are too small to read. I have set the scale settings to 150% and increase the text size of my display settings but these methods does not change the text size of the dialogue boxes at all....
  4. Font size suddenly huge for desktop icons, file manager, many menus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Font size suddenly huge for desktop icons, file manager, many menus: Just happened one day, I started up the computer and the text size was HUGE.Windows is up to date."Text size" in Accessibility is at the lowest level. I tried adjusting it up and then back down too."Scale" in Accessibility is set to 100%.Doesn't matter if I change the size of...
  5. Font size suddenly huge for desktop icons, file manager, many menus

Font size suddenly huge for desktop icons, file manager, many menus: Just happened one day, I started up the computer and the text size was HUGE.Windows is up to date."Text size" in Accessibility is at the lowest level. I tried adjusting it up and then back down too."Scale" in Accessibility is set to 100%.Doesn't matter if I change the size of...
  6. How do I increase the size of the font used in file explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I increase the size of the font used in file explorer in Windows 10: How do I increase the size of the font used in file explorer in Windows 10Suddenly the fonts in file explorer reduced to 3 points. How do I make them 12 points...
  7. How do I increase the size of the font used in file explorer in Windows 10

How do I increase the size of the font used in file explorer in Windows 10: How do I increase the size of the font used in file explorer in Windows 10Suddenly the fonts in file explorer reduced to 3 points. How do I make them 12 points...
  8. How do I increase the size of the font used in file explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. How Can I Increase the Font Size in Comments on Track Changes in Word?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Can I Increase the Font Size in Comments on Track Changes in Word?: I was wondering if someone could help please as I've been having a bit of a nightmare with Microsoft Word recently. For some reason, the formatting of a lot of things changed after an update overnight, and the default fonts and sizes etc. have changed. The main problem I'm...
  10. How Can I Increase the Font Size in Comments on Track Changes in Word?

How Can I Increase the Font Size in Comments on Track Changes in Word?: I was wondering if someone could help please as I've been having a bit of a nightmare with Microsoft Word recently. For some reason, the formatting of a lot of things changed after an update overnight, and the default fonts and sizes etc. have changed. The main problem I'm...