Windows 10: W10 search engine stopped working.

Discus and support W10 search engine stopped working. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last night, my Windows 10 search engine stopped working. I can't click on a link someone gives me in a post and I can't even try to access a link... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chris C, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Chris C Win User

W10 search engine stopped working.

Last night, my Windows 10 search engine stopped working. I can't click on a link someone gives me in a post and I can't even try to access a link manually. The only way I can look something up is on my Firefox search engine...........when DuckDuckgo is my preference.

:)

Chris C, Oct 8, 2017
  2. jmo50 Win User

Can't set Google as default search engine on Microsoft Edge Browser

I have the same problem. However, until the last batch of W10 updates I did have Google set as my default browser. Now I don't even get Google appear in the drop down, nor do I get the Add New button. Something has changed in the recent updates for W10
    and this needs to be rectified. BING is a load of **** and should never have been made the default search engine. As W10 is no longer recognising Google as a search engine for me to choose, this needs to be rectified by Microsoft immediately.

jmo50, Oct 8, 2017
  3. James137 Win User
    Bing.com search error with Window 10

Bing search error Error Code: INET_E_SECURITY_PROBLEM with Edge and IE11 over last 6 months. Starts with: "Can’t reach this page". How do I reestablish search? OS is W10 Pro Build 16299.19.

Google search inoperable too. Its error is 404. Norton Safe Searching works with IE11. This Norton search engine doesn't work with Edge only IE11.

Thanks for any help.

James137, Oct 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Can you confirm whether that refers to any of Cortana file search, file explorer search, Windows indexing search, Settings search...

or are you only talking about web search from your browser - or both?

Perhaps a screenshot of what's not working would help.

Thanks!

Do you have any system restore points you could use?

dalchina, Oct 8, 2017
  5. Chris C Win User
    Yes, any Cortana (Bing I guess)search. If I go to DuckDuckgo.com I get the same message. The only search engine that works on my computer is Firefox.

W10 search engine stopped working. [​IMG]

Any link on my desktop that has that "E" from Windows 10 on it fails to open also.

I've heard about system restore, but don't have the slightest idea how to do one. I'm tempted to just take my CPU to a geek and say "here..........set this up so it works".

Chris C, Oct 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, so are you basically saying you have problems with web searches, and URL's (blue links that don't respond when you click them?

System Restore has been in Windows since XP.

In Win 10, it is off by default, so unless you turned it on, you won't have any restore points.

A restore point basically captures a snapshot of certain critical parts of your system - system files, the registry, drivers.... installed programs... so you can restore your system to the same state it was in when the restore point was created as regards
    - installed drivers
    - installed programs
    - system updates
    - other settings changes held in the registry.

The Tutorial section is a great place to find out how to do things:
    System Restore Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

and a search engine such as Google is also very handy.

"E" from Windows 10 ??

Sorry, can't make anything of the partial long string shown in your browser- I've no idea where that came from.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2017
  7. Chris C Win User
    Yes, I'm aware of system restore points. Just never used them or needed to learn how to use them.

Microsoft Edge is the "E" I'm referring to.

I'm through messing with all this cr@p! I'm one of those people who actually doesn't care about "how" my computer works. I just want it to do what I ask it to do with the click of the mouse. Sorry if that offends the more computer enlightened, but that's the way I am. Just going to take this danged thing to a geek and get it up and working. I'm too stressed over it all. Not worth it to have a heart attack over a stupid computer.

Chris C, Oct 8, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Sorry it's difficult to understand what's going on from the evidence presented. Someone looking at it may be able to tell more.

Windows is not really a consumer product, and requires you to act defensively, and with an unfortunate degree of awareness.

System Restore is useful, but not entirely reliable.

We continually, repeatedly and strongly urge people to use disk imaging routinely to give yourself a chance of recovering from many difficult situations by restoring Windows, disks and partitions to a previous working state- even if you need a new disk- without technical help. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets.

Having that can relieve the stress and frustration you are evidently experiencing.

dalchina, Oct 9, 2017
  9. Chris C Win User
    Oh, I'm sure it is hard to understand from the evidence I'm offering. My biggest problem is I don't and never have understood all the terms used in computers..............which is why it is so difficult for me to understand instructions from people. I'll just unhook everything today and take it to someone to set this up properly. I must have done something wrong when I upgraded. (which wouldn't be surprising at all!)

Thanks to all for trying to help.

Chris C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 search engine stopped working. - Similar Threads - W10 search engine

2. Stop Bing from coming up as a search engine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Bing from coming up as a search engine: I have removed it from the list Chrome settings, but I do a search and Bing shows up. I don't want Bing... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-bing-from-coming-up-as-a-search-engine/2f4096bf-2176-4c09-b867-8d8c23e267a6
  3. Stop Bing from coming up as a search engine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop Bing from coming up as a search engine: I have removed it from the list Chrome settings, but I do a search and Bing shows up. I don't want Bing... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-bing-from-coming-up-as-a-search-engine/2f4096bf-2176-4c09-b867-8d8c23e267a6
  4. Stop Bing from coming up as a search engine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. search engine

in Cortana
    search engine: pretty interesting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engine/b4e24788-6491-449b-9baa-ff6b35bd2bc2
  6. search engine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    search engine: google search was replaced by yahoo search, how to restore google search? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engine/3b31887b-e6d9-4320-9337-54dae9602e63
  7. W10 search not working...

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 search not working...: Switching on my daughter’s W10 laptop this morning I notice that the search box does nothing – whatever I type appears in the box but when I press return nothing happens – whatever I’ve written in the box remains but there are NO search results. I thought initially it was a...
  8. Search Engines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Engines: All my 'pc' life I have used Google but recently have been observing some disturbing trends with them; both political and privacy. Finally, I decided to try another and did a 'google' search for a good unbiased search engine with privacy (alleged). I am trialing duckduckgo on...
  9. search engines

in Browsers and Email
    search engines: Here lately, search engines are not doing what they are designed to do. AS an example ,if I type in something like, “how to clean old furniture’ instead of taking me to links that gives information I want, they take me to links for other search engines that will do the same...
  10. Search Engine

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Engine: How to add a chrome search engine 78340