Windows 10: W10 upgrade changed my usual login password to that of my e-mail...

Discus and support W10 upgrade changed my usual login password to that of my e-mail... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi *Smile This is my first post, so I'm very sorry if I'm posting this thread in the wrong section. Basically, when I got the Windows 10 upgrade... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by IceLysis, Aug 14, 2015.

1. IceLysis Win User

W10 upgrade changed my usual login password to that of my e-mail...

Hi *Smile

This is my first post, so I'm very sorry if I'm posting this thread in the wrong section.

Basically, when I got the Windows 10 upgrade and synced my mail (@live.com), it automatically changed my usual login (for when laptop is sleep and then wakes up) from the usual one I had in Windows 7, to that of my e-mail address. Is there any way to reverse this?

Kind regards,
    Ice.

:)

IceLysis, Aug 14, 2015

2. Unable to verify identity in Windows 10 - goes into infinite loop

Thanks, Karla.

I may not have explained things well enough. My 'old' W10 login and Microsoft a/c login were my old e-mail address, which is disappearing soon. I wished to change both W10 and MS logins to my new e-mail. There is a procedure for doing this elsewhere on
    the MS Community which involves setting the new e-mail as secondary alias (in MS account), re-starting, going back to MS account and making the new e-mail the primary alias; restarting. This procedure WORKED for 3 out of 4 users on my PC (not always immediately,
    had to wait a day or so for the change to take effect). Problem arises with the 4th user where I get the 'you need to verify your identity'. When I click on this, W10 asks for the password for the 'old' e-mail (secondary alias) and even though I enter this
    correctly, W10 goes into an infinite loop. See previous screen-shots.

So I do not have 2 Windows logins, one for the primary alias and the other for the secondary alias, just the one login for my primary alias. So if I delete the W10 account as you suggest I am concerned that this will risk loss of all my pictures, music,
    docs, etc.

As an experiment, I deleted the secondary alias from my MS account and pressed again on 'verify your identity'. As before, the W10 screen has my old secondary alias (not user-changeable). This time on entering the password for this (now deleted) MS account
    I get a red error message 'the password is incorrect'. This error message is erroneous - it should say 'no such MS account' or similar.

I am coming to the view that deleting my W10 account may be the only way forward (I think that's in effect what you are saying in your recent reply). I shall have to back up all my files first, of course.

One question is: if I delete my existing W10 account, will Microsoft allow me to set up a new account with the same Microsoft account name as before?

TonyKirkham, Aug 14, 2015
  3. EEPotter Win User
    Nokia Messaging & Password Problem & GMail

Hi,

I know this has been a while but - did this ever get fixed?

The reason I ask: The workaround I came up with was to leave my e-mail password "good" (with special characters in it), but changed my email.nokia.com login password to something without special characters. Then on the Nokia Messaging application, for e-mail
    password I put in the email.nokia.com password instead of my actual e-mail password - which worked! EXCEPT: I can't send e-mail. I'm hoping that if all of the passwords match, that will start working.

So - did this behavior ever get changed?

Thanks!

EEPotter, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  5. IceLysis Win User
    Thanks a lot, I've approved your answer *Biggrin

I was just curious if there are any apps you'd recommend? Because as things stand I haven't found any good ones. *Sad

IceLysis, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

I like 7-Zip and CCleaner.

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  7. rvbfan Win User
    Netflix works pretty good too.

rvbfan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 upgrade changed my usual login password to that of my e-mail... - Similar Threads - W10 upgrade changed

2. Why has my computer changed to a microsoft format? It changed all my e-mails passwords,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has my computer changed to a microsoft format? It changed all my e-mails passwords,...: I would like to speak with a technician, someone who can get on my computer and see what I'm experiencing.<Removed for Privacy> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-has-my-computer-changed-to-a-microsoft-format/a3193d71-3ccc-49ac-b0e6-275b4c74adde
  3. Why has my computer changed to a microsoft format? It changed all my e-mails passwords,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why has my computer changed to a microsoft format? It changed all my e-mails passwords,...: I would like to speak with a technician, someone who can get on my computer and see what I'm experiencing.<Removed for Privacy> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-has-my-computer-changed-to-a-microsoft-format/a3193d71-3ccc-49ac-b0e6-275b4c74adde
  4. Why has my computer changed to a microsoft format? It changed all my e-mails passwords,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why has my computer changed to a microsoft format? It changed all my e-mails passwords,...: I would like to speak with a technician, someone who can get on my computer and see what I'm experiencing.4352564040 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-has-my-computer-changed-to-a-microsoft-format/a3193d71-3ccc-49ac-b0e6-275b4c74adde
  5. Phising E-mail. E-mail was sent to my gmail account regarding my outlook e-mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phising E-mail. E-mail was sent to my gmail account regarding my outlook e-mail: Just an FYI. I recently signed up for a new account through my child's school, I am using a Mac and I am using Google products at the moment. I do have a separate Microsoft account but I don't use it that often. The following day this e-mail was sent to me claiming it is from...
  6. Phising E-mail. E-mail was sent to my gmail account regarding my outlook e-mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phising E-mail. E-mail was sent to my gmail account regarding my outlook e-mail: Just an FYI. I recently signed up for a new account through my child's school, I am using a Mac and I am using Google products at the moment. I do have a separate Microsoft account but I don't use it that often. The following day this e-mail was sent to me claiming it is from...
  7. Phising E-mail. E-mail was sent to my gmail account regarding my outlook e-mail

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Cant change my password - W10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cant change my password - W10: I start PC and after boot up I put in my login password ..... which is all fine, Windows starts up and full access. So 100% confident this password is correct (been using for 3 months) I want to change this password .... when I go to start > settings > accounts > sign-in...
  9. e-mail, passwords

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    e-mail, passwords: I have done something to delete saving my pass words and e- mails. how do I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-mail-passwords/36b455da-9733-4ae8-842c-526953cf0cb7
  10. Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail: Hello everyone, I have had a Hotmail account for around 8 years now and it is the hub of all my Microsoft apps (Office, Facebook, Xbox, Windows Phone ..etc) but it has come to an unmanageable point. The e-mail address I have being using for this Hotmail account is linked to...